• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail BD+DVD [2015-03-16]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
There's one little nitpick that I simply must point out, but due to how obnoxious nitpicky fanboys can be, I'll just be listing this as a spoiler for those of you who care to read.

spoiler[Raven Tail never said they were reformed. They were simply an illegal guild that registered as an legal guild to participate in the games. We've still had bad legal guilds in the past (Phantom Lord, anyone?)]
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I get that Fairy Tail is supposed to be family friendly, but I'm kind of annoyed that there is no kind of blood or gore in here. You have characters getting beaten to a pulp and crushed under buildings all the time, but when they stand back up all you see are some bruises and that's the end of it. I don't buy that.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
There's one little nitpick that I simply must point out, but due to how obnoxious nitpicky fanboys can be, I'll just be listing this as a spoiler for those of you who care to read.

spoiler[Raven Tail never said they were reformed. They were simply an illegal guild that registered as an legal guild to participate in the games. We've still had bad legal guilds in the past (Phantom Lord, anyone?)]

Nitpick registered and accepted. Very Happy

I believe a comment was made to the effect that spoiler[they got a pardon of some kind from the king, which led everyone to believe that they're reformed...which says more about the underlying plot than the actual games themselves.]

_Cyphon_ wrote:
I get that Fairy Tail is supposed to be family friendly, but I'm kind of annoyed that there is no kind of blood or gore in here. You have characters getting beaten to a pulp and crushed under buildings all the time, but when they stand back up all you see are some bruises and that's the end of it. I don't buy that.

Yeah, it's definitely weird. Mashima's a bit better about it in the manga, but he seems to prefer to show damage through how much Lucy's clothes get shredded. That gets toned down in the anime, too.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It stands out in a bad way not because it isn't in the manga – the basics of it are – or because it deals in fanservice, because that's always been a part of Fairy Tail's appeal.

Not quite. the fanservice in the anime was also included in the manga. the only difference is that in the manga it was only those two whereas the let everyone participate. of course the most popular for some fans were of course of natsu and lisanna posing in a wedding dress.

the other difference is that the bet those two made. in the anime the looser would be posing for the magazine with her birthday suit while in the manga, it would be topless. which is probably a decision made by the anime production committee.

however its only one ep for those that dont like fanservice which is a good thing since this whole arc is basically for the intro for the twin dragon slayers sting and rouge which is what fans want.

and of course the battle with jelall and jura which definitely was the better fights in the 1st part of the arc though its ending left something to be desired.

Just be glad that Hiro limited the fanservice to that for this arc & didn't pulled an Edolas on us & found a reasonable and non confusing way to bring mavis back as a living person.now that there would be a really bad case of fanservice that would have ruined the arc and would have made ep 163 worse (lolicon pandering much?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
As much as big fan of shonen I am (main reason why I watch anime at all is definitely not slice of life/school club/romance/mecha/sport projects), I still could not force myself watch to Fairy Tail -- because it is like buying Abibas shoes instead of actual Adidas. Maybe in some time in the future I will be able to watch it, but, for now, I still can not.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely weird. Mashima's a bit better about it in the manga, but he seems to prefer to show damage through how much Lucy's clothes get shredded. That gets toned down in the anime, too.

No, Mashima prefers to show damage in the manga through scuff marks on the characters. Marks that in the occasional color page, are either blood or other minor wounds.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
It stands out in a bad way not because it isn't in the manga – the basics of it are – or because it deals in fanservice, because that's always been a part of Fairy Tail's appeal.

Not quite. the fanservice in the anime was also included in the manga. the only difference is that in the manga it was only those two whereas the let everyone participate. of course the most popular for some fans were of course of natsu and lisanna posing in a wedding dress.

the other difference is that the bet those two made. in the anime the looser would be posing for the magazine with her birthday suit while in the manga, it would be topless. which is probably a decision made by the anime production committee.

however its only one ep for those that don't like fanservice which is a good thing since this whole arc is basically for the intro for the twin dragon slayers sting and rouge which is what fans want.

and of course the battle with jelall and jura which definitely was the better fights in the 1st part of the arc though its ending left something to be desired.

Just be glad that Hiro limited the fanservice to that for this arc & didn't pulled an Edolas on us & found a reasonable and non confusing way to bring mavis back as a living person.now that there would be a really bad case of fanservice that would have ruined the arc and would have made ep 163 worse (lolicon pandering much?)

From what I read, the article says that even though the anime expanded the scene from the manga to include most of the female characters, or that the scene dealt with fanservice, neither of those things are what made it bad for the reviewer. The thing that made it bad was WHY the female characters entered the scene: to prove their superior sex appeal.

Mira and Jenny are proud fashion models, so a swimsuit contest instead of an all-out battle made for a nice gag, but when did virtually the entire female cast become conscious about pleasing the male crowd? Not to mention, how did Mavis, a ghost who only Fairy Tail members can see, suddenly have the power to bring swimsuits for everyone? Because fanservice. Unless the swimsuits were also things that only Fairy Tail members could see...
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. which is why it would have been even worse if hiro had found some way to bring her back from the dead just like with lisanna in the edolas arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
My question is this: Why did Hiro had more blood in the new series rather than the fanservice? The first series had ton of fanservice, but no blood. Why is that? Is it censorship?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Do you mean in Fairy Tail 2? My guess would be the more serious nature of the storyline. But he does get back to the fanservice later on (at least in the manga); there's a whole section where most of the cast is naked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1