• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Furious 7 Japanese Dub Cast Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Psh... The sub will be so much better. The Japanese VA's won't show the real emotion that the English VA's showed. See what I did there? Razz
DjAlmostFive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Psh... The sub will be so much better. The Japanese VA's won't show the real emotion that the English VA's showed. See what I did there? Razz

Laughing

Also, it's called... Wild Speed: SKY MISSION? The heck? Confused
spoiler[It does sound kind of cool though.]
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I understand this is the interest article and I know the Japanese dub cast are also the one that voiced some of our favorite anime. But is this news worthy of having it's own article? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I found this strangely interesting. Glad to see these actors having so much passion for their characters! Also cool they got to see the movie before anyone else.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I understand this is the interest article and I know the Japanese dub cast are also the one that voiced some of our favorite anime. But is this news worthy of having it's own article? Confused

Also I'd assume it's just gonna be the same voice cast as the previous flicks, right ? So it's not like there's anything special here.

-Sergorn
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:

Also I'd assume it's just gonna be the same voice cast as the previous flicks, right ? So it's not like there's anything special here.

Well I don't know, I don't pay that much attention to Japanese dub of US films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niyari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

i found it fairly interesting. in particular, the translated cast comments
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wonder how James Wan handled action scenes since it's pretty much his first work on a major action flick and Death Sentence is the only experience he has (and even that wasn't pure action film).

That being said, I can tolerate dub in animated films or video games, because actors play their interpretation of characters which doesn't exist in real world, not so much with live-action, you can't take original actor's voice, that's one of the integral parts of his/her acting which shouldn't be changed.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
That being said, I can tolerate dub in animated films or video games, because actors play their interpretation of characters which doesn't exist in real world, not so much with live-action, you can't take original actor's voice, that's one of the integral parts of his/her acting which shouldn't be changed.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone could watch dubbed live action.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I don't know why, but I found this strangely interesting. Glad to see these actors having so much passion for their characters! Also cool they got to see the movie before anyone else.

Yeah usually the common complaint in Japan is that they don't get the movies till months after N. America.

Anyhow, nieces nephews and friends have our tix tonight. Gonna see if we can tell where Paul Walker's body is digitally inserted. Smile
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone could watch dubbed live action.

Yeah I can't stand it either. You're always very aware of the dubbing. It has to do with lip synching. It works with anime and most animation in general because the lip flaps are not detailed and timing is done in phrases.

With live action there's an unconscious visual recognition of phonemes and there's a disconnect when the accompanying dialogue doesn't match. Even with animation it's there too in certain accentuated scenes. We expect an O-shaped mouth if the character says "ohh".

Anyways, it's probably the reason why Japan always shows movies both subbed and dubbed. Dubs for older folks and subs for younger folks.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I was asking myself the same thing when I saw the article on the front page. It occurred to me once I saw Maaya Sakamoto that this must be up because anime VA's are involved. I am surprised though that the movie is debuting in two weeks in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Anyhow, nieces nephews and friends have our tix tonight. Gonna see if we can tell where Paul Walker's body is digitally inserted. Smile

We looked, but it was hard to tell. Except maybe the last scene. The production crew did a good job disguising it.

Now, back to the voices:

Murder, She wrote:

Mayumi Sako (Saki in Persona -trinity soul-, Scarlett Johansson) as Kara

Hahahaha........... she's dubbing Ronda Rousey! Kara is Ronda Rousey!

Yep, she's in the movie! (Obviously along with The Rock like the pic above.)

And she gets to have a long fight scene - much longer than her real MMA bouts!
But she didn't win................. though she didn't exactly lose either.
But she did get beat up! Laughing

configspace wrote:

Anyways, it's probably the reason why Japan always shows movies both subbed and dubbed. Dubs for older folks and subs for younger folks.

Asahi: Dubbed versions of foreign movies becoming the norm

• Dubbed versions are becoming increasingly common among not only family-oriented animation films, but also live-action epics.

For example, the first and second installment of the “Mission Impossible” series came out only with subtitles.

But 25 percent of the screenings of the third installment were dubbed when it premiered in 2006.

In the fourth, which opened in 2011, 44 percent came with dubbing.

Shigeki Sujino, who heads Tohokushinsha’s production department of foreign films, said dubbed films are in growing demand, regardless of the age of viewers.

“Dubbed versions were originally meant for older people who find it hard to follow subtitles,” he said. “But we seem to receive many requests for dubbed versions from young viewers.”

A key factor behind the rise of dubbed versions has something to do with a change in the way Hollywood movies are now shot, according to an official with an operator of a chain of cinema complexes.

“Rapid succession of footage (in Hollywood movies) makes it harder for audiences to read subtitles,” the official said.

The emergence of 3-D movies is adding to the difficulty.

“Many have voiced that it is getting harder to read subtitles because they have to wear special 3-D glasses,” said Kunio Yamada, sales department director at Warner Brothers Pictures International.

The increase in the number of dubbed movies in Japan means that it is joining Italy, France and other countries, where dubbing foreign films is the norm.

According to research by a group of Japanese production staff who dub foreign films, 98 percent of foreign-language movies in Italy are dubbed. In France, that figure is 90 percent.

One theory holds that in earlier years, foreign-language films in Japan invariably came with subtitles because the costs were one-fifth to one-third that for creating a dubbed version.

But the cost is no longer an issue. It is becoming a standard practice to produce a dubbed version when the movie’s DVD is made.

Another possibility behind the increase in dubbed films is movie companies’ efforts to win back fans of foreign films by featuring popular actors and actresses doing voice-overs, according to observers in the movie industry.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I was asking myself the same thing when I saw the article on the front page. It occurred to me once I saw Maaya Sakamoto that this must be up because anime VA's are involved. I am surprised though that the movie is debuting in two weeks in Japan.

That is true and I would agree with you. But my problem with ANN is why make the Japanese dub of Furious 7 a big deal. What about a lot of other US films that are dubbed in Japanese using the same VA that voiced anime. Why aren't ANN giving them the same attention like Fast 7?

To be honest, I've been questioning the way ANN on what is considered news and what's not. I submitted a lot of interesting stuff from Japan and from other part of Asia, and 60% of the time ANN don't report it despite being newsworthy.

enurtsol wrote:

Thank you for the article enurtsol. This is very interesting to read.

Enurtsol, that part of the article wrote:
Another possibility behind the increase in dubbed films is movie companies’ efforts to win back fans of foreign films by featuring popular actors and actresses doing voice-overs, according to observers in the movie industry.

Oh wow, that part kinda surprise me. Using Anime VAs to attract people to watch Hollywood films. I don't know what to say about that.

Quote:
The increase in the number of dubbed movies in Japan means that it is joining Italy, France and other countries, where dubbing foreign films is the norm.

According to research by a group of Japanese production staff who dub foreign films, 98 percent of foreign-language movies in Italy are dubbed. In France, that figure is 90 percent.

I wonder if US has made the list too. I'm kinda surprised to see France made it on the list, didn't know they dubbed film. Giving that most of Europe (that does include France) take English-language very seriously from what I've heard.

Not to go off topic but this might surprise you, but in the UK they've started to broadcast non-English European dramas/shows with English subtitles a few years back and no I'm not making this up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1