• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is your favorite anime set in stone?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extremeeXrement1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Do you think your #1 anime will ever change?

I think mine won't, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time I said that. I used to think Full Metal Alchemist was the greatest anime ever made, and no other anime compared to it. It was a giant among midgets, not only was it better, but it was better by far... but I'd only seen like 50 something anime...

Then anime number 100 came, Rurouni Kenshin, and that was my favorite anime for a long time, not the best however, we've discussed "quality vs. enjoyment", and I enjoyed Kenshin more, though FMA was better in terms of quality in my opinion.

Then 90 anime later, I see Revolutionary Girl Utena, which blew my [expletive] mind. It's weird, when I first saw it I thought, "what's this shit? People like this?", but by the time I finished it was my #1 favorite, in terms of quality and enjoyment. I could always identify FMA and Kenshin as "shonen action/adventure shows", but when I saw Utena, I couldn't identify it as anything other than "Revolutionary Girl Utena". I think of the title as an adjective. Since the show is too unique to be described as anything else.

But who knows... maybe one day I'll find a show even better. And it'll probably be an obscure one
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that mine changes, or at least it would if I still kept track of it. But I do not.

I still have a My Top 25 Anime list in My ANN, and as far as I know it is still accurate, but I have stopped trying to establish any relative order within the list. I do have my top ten noted in the comments, but I have not tried to keep that current for a long time. If I seriously tried to determine a favorite now I am not sure that it would be one of those ten.

I doubt that the identity of my favorite would be of much interest to others. It is really not even important to me. The only relevance that it would have would be when I am deciding if I want to watch a show again. That will depend more on what I am in the mood for and what I have not seen for a while more than it depends on what I like the best.

I have just lost interest in having a favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
If I see something I like more, yeah. I haven't seen anything in a number of years that could even push it's way into my top ten though, saying nothing of conquering the #1 slot. Only "Masterpieces" really have a chance to get on my favorites and those don't come around too often.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For me the question is not applicable. I don't have a favorite anime, I don't have a top 10 or top 25. What I do have is a number of shows that I really enjoyed. I don't have them written down anywhere. But if you asked me I could tell you if a given title fits there.

Anime covers so many genres and shows differ from each other so much that I see no point in ranking them. I have never understood this passion for lists.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Like Alan45, I find the question to be impossible to answer. I have watch so many anime shows of so many differing genres that I found to be so good, perhaps even great, that I just can't seem to declare which shows that would be even "My Top 25."
extremeeXrement1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Like Alan45, I find the question to be impossible to answer. I have watch so many anime shows of so many differing genres that I found to be so good, perhaps even great, that I just can't seem to declare which shows that would be even "My Top 25."

I just think back and say, "Which show did I have the most fun watching?"
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
As a kid, my favorite anime was Dragonball, as a teenager, One Piece. As an adult who has outgrown shounen and has seen many, many anime (just check my anime list on this site), my favorite is Fate/Zero. Will that change? I hope so. I hope I haven't seen the best of the best already.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Like a few others, I feel that I don't have a favorite Anime, at least so far. I do have a top 5 list if that counts though. I am sure this list will change eventually.
Here is my list if anyone is interested. Laughing
-Mobile suit Gundam wing
-A certain scientific railgun
-Macross
-Comical psychosomatic Medicine
-ARGEVOLLEN

(Also hello all, First post! Smile )
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
My all time favorites have changed around a few times since I actively started watching anime in 2006 from Neon Genesis to Gundam SEED Destiny to Genesis of Aquarion and currently to 1001 Nights. I'm sure I'll eventually find a new top favorite. I give so many anime a 10/10 I can't just stop at a top 100 list. Sad
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
For me, whenever someone asks "What's your favorite anime/song/film/tv show/book" I always tell them I don't. For two reasons: 1. the question is too broad and 2. if it's not specified, then I will just list the most obvious answers on the top of my brain.

Believe it or not, I don't consider anime a genre but as a separate medium filled with different genres, sub genres, art styles, movements, and writing styles. If you asked me something super specific like "What's your favorite action tv/film from Studio BONES" then I can easily answer The Sword of the Stranger or "What's your favorite magical girl from the 2000s" then I can say Princess Tutu.

Long story short, no my favorite anime series or film isn't set in stone because there too many variables to narrow down to just one thing that represents the entire medium. Hence, why those top 10-50 lists are always the obvious stuff like AKIRA or Naruto because they are safe chooses that any anime fan can recognize without thinking too hard.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I have my group of shows that stand above all else, but when it's always said and done, I will always have my one true favorite that cannot be matched. The reason being, it's such a unique show. There's really nothing close to it. It does everything so perfectly, that I doubt it will ever be topped. That show is, of course, Cromartie High School. There is only one other show that is anything remotely similar to Cro High that I've seen, and that's Sexy Commando Gaiden. But Sexy Commando, though the same style of comedy, was nowhere near as close to the quality and humor of Cro High. I just don't see another show coming along being able to surpass my opinion of Cro's perfection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
It is really not even important to me. The only relevance that it would have would be when I am deciding if I want to watch a show again.

Yeah, unless someone is about to cast me away on a desert island and I have to pick 5 series to take with me, it only matters what I feel like watching right now. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Favourites come and go, things I used to like become annoyed at because others are still fixated on them and not various other things.

For an actually favourite that has stayed, it would probably be Kanon 2006, and this is probably because it was a series that opened a huge amount of anime and genre to me. Even though I consider in way for Clannad to be generally better, Kanon means more to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
I don't even know what my favorite anime is! Ghost in the Shell? Princess Mononoke? Trigun? Cowboy Bebop? Evangelion? Maybe even Berserk? Hell, Death Parade actually seems like it could be a contender. So that also answers the related question of even whether my favorites plural are set in stone.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Not yet. Mushi-Shi is my favorite, but I've only witnessed about 30 animes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2