• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
chex mix wrote:
There are all of two females on this show who don't consistently behave in a vile manner and who are regular characters. If even girls who like Soma are garbage to him, it's an even bigger problem. Please stop.

Also, if you can't be bothered to put at least half an ass into writing your post, dude, I'm just going to ignore it. Rolling Eyes

Huh? Just counting the people in his dorm there are 4 women who are totally cool with him (shy girl, animal girl, matron, and other).

Alice also acts pretty friendly with him. I mean, she has total confidence that he could never possibly win against her, but that's kind of the way Soma acts towards everyone anyway so I don't think that kind of confidence is necessarily supposed to be a bad thing.

Pretty much the only people who treat him badly are Erina and her minion.
And even Erina doesn't 100% dislike him. More like 97%. Haha

We all know that at some point in the story Erina is gonna do a 180 and fall for Soma, which there are slight hints of already.

And I honestly can't bring myself to hate Erina or her little minion because their characters don't allow me to. Erina is basically royalty and sits on her high horse all day thinking her cooking is the greatest in the world and no one can come close to it. But then Soma comes along and shatters that little perception immediately because his food is just that great. And little by little, she's warming up to him. And when I say little, I mean microscopic. As for the minion, she's like any devout follower. She sees Erina as a god, worships the very ground she walks on, and anyone who dares disrespect her or even get remotely close to her becomes said minions enemy. And that too will likely be shattered at some point.

tl;dr I like Erina and her minion and they aren't as vile as you may perceive.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
Even for people who like tsunderes, she's on a fine line between being a likable but snarky tsundere and being an irredeemable bitch.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Even for people who like tsunderes, she's on a fine line between being a likable but snarky tsundere and being an irredeemable bitch.

I am more on Nyran's side on this. I don't much like Erina as she is but I can still understand that she is a product of her environment which, too much and from too young an age, was worshipping her. No friends just subservient minions and an absent awesome mentor. Of course home girl has a 'tude.

Although I am not a big fan of the tsundere type of character the good thing about them is seeing how they are ultimately tamed. Erina has it clearly has it coming and as such is not irredeemable.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The overall point I'm trying to make is that the disparity between the way Soma's male rivals and female rivals is presented on this show is really problematic and getting to be offensive. If you don't find it to be so, cool. I suspect that most anyone who was going to be offended by this show has already been offended and left, anyways.

Also, tsunderes are ridiculous and I can't even with that, but, to each their own. Razz
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Although I am not a big fan of the tsundere type of character the good thing about them is seeing how they are ultimately tamed.

Gross gross gross gross gross.

I know we're talking about fictional women here, but if you could cool it with the hilariously overt sexism even a little, that'd be awesome.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I know we're talking about fictional women here, but if you could cool it with the hilariously overt sexism even a little, that'd be awesome.

Oooookay then. Perhaps without resorting to hilarious overt sexism could you inform us of how often the role of an anime tsundere character varies from what I described? Here is a list of them in case you need it. Note that there are more than a few males on the list. For extra points you might want to explain why that character progression happens so often in anime.

Now that would be awesome.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
The overall point I'm trying to make is that the disparity between the way Soma's male rivals and female rivals is presented on this show is really problematic and getting to be offensive. If you don't find it to be so, cool. I suspect that most anyone who was going to be offended by this show has already been offended and left, anyways.

Also, tsunderes are ridiculous and I can't even with that, but, to each their own. Razz

I think the main problem is that every single representative of the "arrogant rich chef" archetype (which the school itself was originally supposed to represent) is a woman, while all the male rivals are self-made people from poor or working class backgrounds. Heck, even the arrogant French chef has a flashback showing that he's from rural Japan. Incidentally, this is kind of a strange aspect of the setting: how can the rich people justify their hatred of working class chefs when historically speaking the elite 10 of their own school are regularly composed of working class chefs?

I guess you could say it's trying to say something about how female chefs don't deserve their place because they didn't work for it, but mostly it just feels really arbitrary to me. Like it happened by accident. Which, again, could be due to the writer's biases, but the ultimate message of the show just seems to be that rich people are jerks. And are also more likely to have daughters than sons?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Although I am not a big fan of the tsundere type of character the good thing about them is seeing how they are ultimately tamed.

Gross gross gross gross gross.

There's nothing sexist about a character or person's personality being "tamed"... the same can be said about men and women. It just happens that the anime audience skews somewhat towards men, so the character being "tamed" (often a love interest) is more often a prickly female character (i.e., a shrew).
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather disappointed the fried chicken arc was skipped. It was a fun little arc, but perhaps most importantly it introduced the spoiler["villain,"] if you will, of the upcoming tournament arc which gave him a reason to spoiler[butt heads with Soma] even before they first meet face-to-face. I wonder how this will play out now.

We also missed the spoiler[ping-pong game], which I really hope they incorporate into a future episode.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, they left out the fried chicken arc. Hope they can put in somewhere in the future. Joichiro being back is good, and the father-son bonding thing this episode was going for really hit home. Not really liking the new op and ed though...
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
chex mix wrote:

I think the main problem is that every single representative of the "arrogant rich chef" archetype (which the school itself was originally supposed to represent) is a woman, while all the male rivals are self-made people from poor or working class backgrounds. Heck, even the arrogant French chef has a flashback showing that he's from rural Japan. Incidentally, this is kind of a strange aspect of the setting: how can the rich people justify their hatred of working class chefs when historically speaking the elite 10 of their own school are regularly composed of working class chefs?

I guess you could say it's trying to say something about how female chefs don't deserve their place because they didn't work for it, but mostly it just feels really arbitrary to me. Like it happened by accident. Which, again, could be due to the writer's biases, but the ultimate message of the show just seems to be that rich people are jerks. And are also more likely to have daughters than sons?

You basically just made my point. When something happens over and over and over to where it is an obvious pattern, it isn't arbitrary or an accident. It is hot, sexist garbage. Even the gross real estate agent from episode one was a bitchy woman.

Also, male or female, can we not talk about taming any sort of humans as if they were pets? Thanks. Because ew.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

Quote:
Also, male or female, can we not talk about taming any sort of humans as if they were pets? Thanks. Because ew.

It seems to me that you are the one out of place here. Are you sure you should be watching anime?

{Edit: Actually the one out of place here is you. You were told by Hope to desist with the sexist comments. You then argued with her and were quite rude about it. Then you insult another user. Blatantly ignoring a staff member and then blatantly insulting a user in this post are both against the rules. Consider this an official warning. If you can't post without insulting other people and ignoring staff members then you might want to just not post at all. I edited out the rest of your post as it is OT. Thank you ~ Psycho 101}
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote

If that show could do it, so can Food Wars.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ep 16 review wrote:
In keeping with the slower pace of the episode, even the foodgasms are toned down ...

For some reason I find it highly amusing that nobody has anything to say about the pervasive nudity of Isshiki any more. At one point it was a near scandal and now everyone has accepted it to the point that it is totally unremarkable.

The guy is built, though.

Going just by the descriptions I don't think the contest should have been such a decisive win, however. I tend to be skeptical of all-vegetarian dishes even though I have experienced some good ones. The apple rissoto should have won at least one judge. Regardless, it seems to have taken a pretty supreme effort to beat Soma.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

I find it hilarious that people can still get offended by anime. If you can't handle something like this then you probably shouldn't be watching anything that comes out of Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19