• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Winners Announced for 6th Kyoto Animation Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
A tad confusing, so awards weren't given for specific levels within specific categories? Headline reads like no awards were given at all and the article doesn't mention any winners for this year only past winners.

Mark Gosdin
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
There were no grand prize winners, meaning the judges didn't deem any of the entries worthy of that spot. As the article mentions there's only been one year where some one actually won the #1 spot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the studio awarded no grand prizes, no Animation DO Special Award prizes, and no honorable mentions in the manga, scenario, or novel categories.

It kinda feels like KyoAni just does this to take the IP from the creators, doesn't give out awards, and makes the anime anyway. So many years in a row like this isn't about their "high and refined standards", it's just bullshit.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="walw6pK4Alo"]
Quote:
"high and refined standards", .

Yes, pure BS. "high and refined standards", kyoto animation is anything but refined without doubt.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No Winners Announced for Nth Kyoto Animation Awards

This has already become a meme, right?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
However, the studio awarded no grand prizes, no Animation DO Special Award prizes, and no honorable mentions in the manga, scenario, or novel categories.

It kinda feels like KyoAni just does this to take the IP from the creators, doesn't give out awards, and makes the anime anyway. So many years in a row like this isn't about their "high and refined standards", it's just bullshit.

It definitely feels that way. It's been how many years since they actually handed these awards to anyone. It's like they're just using them to bait creators but don't actually have any intention of dishing out the cash and just want to find new stories to capitalize. From the beginning, making a special award and then deciding not to give it to anyone "because they're not good enough" is a shitty thing to do, but how many years in a row? Smells of sneaky business practice
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
It's a scam. If you make a contest with prizes, you've got to award them. Only exception is if there are no contestants. I'm amazed you can scam people/artists so easily in Japan.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

CrowLia wrote:
It definitely feels that way. It's been how many years since they actually handed these awards to anyone. It's like they're just using them to bait creators but don't actually have any intention of dishing out the cash and just want to find new stories to capitalize. From the beginning, making a special award and then deciding not to give it to anyone "because they're not good enough" is a shitty thing to do, but how many years in a row? Smells of sneaky business practice
{Fixed your inline quotations. ~nobahn}
Having actually read some of the novels that get published from this award series, I can definitely say that the quality of them is not quite up to par with the better novels. The ones who get encouragement awards/honorable mentions need some work, even in their published state.

Contrary to your post, this is not a situation where they are afraid to award someone the grand prize; instead, this is a situation where ANN refused to run an article when they did award a grand prize and so you never knew they awarded one. Here is a listing of the awards given out at every opportunity.

2009 - 1st awards:
Novel division: 5 encouragement awards, 2 published (Chu2koi - 2011, Coppelia - 2012)
Scenario division: 6 encouragement awards
2010 - 2nd awards:
Novel division: 4 encouragement awards, 2 published (Kyoukai - 2012, High Speed - 2013)
2011 - 3rd awards:
No awards
2012 - 4th awards:
Novel division: 3 encouragement awards, 1 published (Phantom World - 2013)
2013 - 5th awards:
Novel division: 1 grand prize, 2 encouragement awards
2014 - 6th awards:
No awards

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
It's a scam. If you make a contest with prizes, you've got to award them. Only exception is if there are no contestants. I'm amazed you can scam people/artists so easily in Japan.

Contrary to your belief that "THERE MUST BE A WINNER!", it states very clearly in the ]rules that there may be situations where a suitable work is not found (※「該当作品なし」の場合もございます。). This is not uncommon for literary contests in Japan; instead people focus on this particular award due to the name of the studio and find it a way to bash on them even without knowing the actual details (see post replied above).

Last edited by ultimatemegax on Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
They create a specific award and then don't appoint a winner in the category... Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's a great ruse, really, simple yet successful. Offer prizes to lure people in but don't give anyone anything, and hold onto all their IPs to turn into anime when you feel like it and then keep all the profits.

I feel sorry for all the applicants who think this will be their ticket to fame and wealth. On the other hand, by now they really should have cottoned on to this scam.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's a great ruse, really, simple yet successful. Offer prizes to lure people in but don't give anyone anything, and hold onto all their IPs to turn into anime when you feel like it and then keep all the profits.

I feel sorry for all the applicants who think this will be their ticket to fame and wealth. On the other hand, by now they really should have cottoned on to this scam.

As I mentioned in my post above, awards have been given out, though usually encouragement awards/honorable mentions. It's not uncommon for literary contests in Japan to have no grand prizes awards (the Sneaker Bunko contest typically doesn't, but we don't get ANN posting clickbait articles when that doesn't award one). Instead we get people like the ones in this thread thinking it's a scam. People submit to this and the other awards knowing that a winner may not be announced; it's not a huge surprise in Japan when they aren't announced. Instead we have this huge "It's a scam!" reaction on ANN and other western boards because you don't get the entire picture.

I feel sorry for you and all the other ANN-only posters who get a fraction of what actually happens in Japan beyond the clickbait. On the other hand, by now you really should've cottoned onto this scheme.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

As I mentioned in my post above, awards have been given out, though usually encouragement awards/honorable mentions. It's not uncommon for literary contests in Japan to have no grand prizes awards (the Sneaker Bunko contest typically doesn't, but we don't get ANN posting clickbait articles when that doesn't award one). Instead we get people like the ones in this thread thinking it's a scam. People submit to this and the other awards knowing that a winner may not be announced; it's not a huge surprise in Japan when they aren't announced. Instead we have this huge "It's a scam!" reaction on ANN and other western boards because you don't get the entire picture.

I feel sorry for you and all the other ANN-only posters who get a fraction of what actually happens in Japan beyond the clickbait. On the other hand, by now you really should've cottoned onto this scheme.

If the Japanese artists are ok with it, good for them. I'm not Japanese, I don't live in a country where contests can be arranged in the Japanese way. And if it were possibile it would be considered a scam. 100% scam. So from my perspective if you organize a contest where you don't award prizes that you have set out to award from the begining at the very least is a scam.

What's to stop someone from organizing a contest with super uber prizes and then not award anything because the participants are not up to the "recomended quality" ? You do the selection before entering the contest not after. One you've got the participants if they're all shit tough luck. That year prizes will have to awarded to shitty contestants.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Contrary to your post, this is not a situation where they are afraid to award someone the grand prize; instead, this is a situation where ANN refused to run an article when they did award a grand prize and so you never knew they awarded one.

OK OK, I'll bite. I honestly have no idea why we didn't post an article last year when a work actually won a Grand Prize for the first time. I was shocked too when looking back in our archives and I didn't see an article. My only guess is that we either didn't catch it, or too many other articles took priority at the time and it got buried under a pile of other leads. It certainly wasn't a situation where we "refused" to run an article though. I will apologize on behalf of the news team for not covering it last year.

Last year's awards definitely would've been considered newsworthy, we've covered the awards every year except last year's.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-27/no-grand-prizes-given-for-4th-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-27/no-winners-announced-for-3rd-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-12/no-grand-prizes-given-for-2nd-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-22/no-grand-prizes-given-for-1st-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-02/kyoto-animation-award-website-opened

That said, that's why I mentioned in this article about last year's winners, to make up at least a little bit for neglecting the awards last year. The article at also made mention of past honorable mention winners, even if it wasn't in a nice list form.

While I realize you'll always find fault with ANN ultimatemegax, I thought I would at least clear up the accusation of us "refusing" to run an article. Feel free to continue to think of us however you like.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:

Contrary to your post, this is not a situation where they are afraid to award someone the grand prize; instead, this is a situation where ANN refused to run an article when they did award a grand prize and so you never knew they awarded one.

OK OK, I'll bite. I honestly have no idea why we didn't post an article last year when a work actually won a Grand Prize for the first time. I was shocked too when looking back in our archives and I didn't see an article. My only guess is that we either didn't catch it, or too many other articles took priority at the time and it got buried under a pile of other leads. It certainly wasn't a situation where we "refused" to run an article though. I will apologize on behalf of the news team for not covering it last year.

Last year's awards definitely would've been considered newsworthy, we've covered the awards every year except last year's.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-27/no-grand-prizes-given-for-4th-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-27/no-winners-announced-for-3rd-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-12/no-grand-prizes-given-for-2nd-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-22/no-grand-prizes-given-for-1st-kyoto-animation-award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-02/kyoto-animation-award-website-opened

That said, that's why I mentioned in this article about last year's winners, to make up at least a little bit for neglecting the awards last year. The article at also made mention of past honorable mention winners, even if it wasn't in a nice list form.

While I realize you'll always find fault with ANN ultimatemegax, I thought I would at least clear up the accusation of us "refusing" to run an article. Feel free to continue to think of us however you like.

I understand that things can slip through the cracks. I'm more annoyed at the replies to this thread implying that this is a "scam" because a grand prize wasn't awarded when there was one last year. It felt very suspicious when there wasn't an article the one year a grand prize was awarded and yet as soon as one isn't awarded again, an article was run. It led to "discussion" much like this thread thus far where people aren't aware that there are winners in the past and so the general concept of the award becomes a "scam" since there wasn't a report saying there was a winner.

I do apologize for coming off very harshly regarding my suspicions.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
I love Beyond the Boundary, I like Free, I really like Haruhi Suzumiya, and I have endless respect for KyoAni's animators because there's some super top-notch stuff there from a visual/animation point of view. But yeah.
Scaaaammm.

Just because it's standard in Japan doesn't mean it's okay. It's standard in South Korea to make K-Pop stars rehearse for ten hours and then do two concerts in one day and take the expenses out of their pay which isn't very high to begin with, doesn't make it okay. (That might be the case with music/acting agencies in Japan too, but I've just heard more of that about Korea).

But also, if these novels are that bad... really, "A bunch of boys on a swim team but they have a childhood friend who's now their rival," "A girl who fights demons and a half demon boy in a school club,"... these aren't super unique complex ideas. They couldn't just come up with those themselves? The final products are great, but as for the amount of it that comes from the "unworthy" novel submission, I can come up with more unique one-sentence summaries by like, closing my eyes, pointing at random to my figure shelf three times, and thinking, what would happen if you put those three characters in a room together? And I'm sure someone in their studio could too... so why don't they? I doubt many people are gullible enough to get a "grassroots" feeling from the whole "based on a contest submission" thing, and it must cost them money to run the contest even if they don't give prizes (the website, reading entries, etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5