• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, June 29-July 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 as expected. PS4 increase again. A mix of old and new hardware.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3 Wii U Splatoon Nintendo March 28 34,135 382,175 80

Nope, Splatoon's date was May 28.

Otherwise, pretty solid list. I'm glad that the DBZ game and DMC4SE sells.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see that Fire Emblem Fates is still at No. 1. Smile I'm also satisfied that Splatoon is still holding up in the Top 3.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought Witcher 3's numbers weren't bad and then I saw its being outsold by something called Kira girls.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I thought Witcher 3's numbers weren't bad and then I saw its being outsold by something called Kira girls.

You're comparing a PS4 game to a 3DS game. 3DS has a much bigger userbase than PS4, and Japan is a handheld gaming market.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

You're comparing a PS4 game to a 3DS game. 3DS has a much bigger userbase than PS4, and Japan is a handheld gaming market.

I am comparing a potential game of the year to a game that know one outside of Japan has probably heard of.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
The Japanese game market operates pretty independently of western game markets. What they want in games is pretty different than what Americans or Europeans might want.

In any case, someone at Anime Expo I StreetPassed actually had Rhythm Heaven Plus as their last game played. That was a neat surprise. If it ever gets adapted into English, I am getting it. I love the Rhythm Heaven series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I am comparing a potential game of the year to a game that know one outside of Japan has probably heard of.

Putting aside that since the list is about Japan, a game being unheard of outside Japan isn't relevant, it's still a magnitude difference in userbase, so it doesn't make for a good comparison. For instance, name a potential GOTY for PS Vita in N. America like Gravity Rush, and it's most likely outsold by a X360/PS3 game nobody has really heard of, just because of the magnitude difference in userbase.

Anyways, just to be clear to your original comment, the Witcher 3's sales in Japan not only isn't bad, it's actually doing well. Any PS4 (or PS3) game that sells over 100k in Japan is doing well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1