Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition Makes The irregular at magic high school's Tatsuya Pla


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MeisterYM



Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Well it was nice knowing you, cast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trivia Tim



Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Well apparently his sister wasn't enough. They just HAD to make Gary Stu playable. The fact that this series is successful enough to get two playable characters is incredibly tragic. The Japanese anime fandom has no standards, or any idea on what good writing is. It's pretty bad that protagonists have become such shallow, self insert characters, that they are making me miss Shinji from Evangelion. At least he was flawed, and not some bland, perfect, escapist character. At this rate, the anime industry will be nothing but bad self insert fanfiction. Series like this are basically the pathetic, Japanese male, equivalent of 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OH&S



Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 274
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
^
Or...its one of the three most popular series currently under Dengeki Bunko (second after SAO) and this is a Dengeki Bunko game. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Necessity



Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
Calling a guy like tatsuya 'perfect' is actually kind of sad. He is not so perfect as to be annoying because he is such a robotic person, he is totally socially oblivious. Now I will not deny that his "sister" is a Mary Sue but that only increases the contrast between the two siblings. Saying that its the equivalent to 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight is in my opinion going abit too far (though the anime was lacking from the novel).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtakunX



Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Necessity wrote:
Calling a guy like tatsuya 'perfect' is actually kind of sad. He is not so perfect as to be annoying because he is such a robotic person, he is totally socially oblivious. Now I will not deny that his "sister" is a Mary Sue but that only increases the contrast between the two siblings. Saying that its the equivalent to 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight is in my opinion going abit too far (though the anime was lacking from the novel).


Well, thats an issue a lot of people use for gary stus/mary sues, when you give the said person a flaw then they aren't a gary/mary, right? wrong. When you give one a pointless or minor flaw is just as bad. Being a loner, not liking to talk to people, not getting along with everyone, getting mad easy are not flaws enough to pull someone from this trope. Those are extremely common flaws to the point that even people considered perfect can have and still not be noticed.

I stopped watching the anime due to the main characters being way too good, even more so then SAO cause at least SAO gave a bad reason for it, which is better then nothing and in the end, all of SAO's BS skills were in a game not in the real world of the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iAmDot



Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
so i could choose Maou or Touma as a fighting character? YES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1944
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
The real question is who's going to be the most-used punching bag between him and Kirito
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
All other characters became irrelevant now that the spoiler[Mahesvara] has arrived.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Necessity



Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
Necessity wrote:
Calling a guy like tatsuya 'perfect' is actually kind of sad. He is not so perfect as to be annoying because he is such a robotic person, he is totally socially oblivious. Now I will not deny that his "sister" is a Mary Sue but that only increases the contrast between the two siblings. Saying that its the equivalent to 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight is in my opinion going abit too far (though the anime was lacking from the novel).


Well, thats an issue a lot of people use for gary stus/mary sues, when you give the said person a flaw then they aren't a gary/mary, right? wrong. When you give one a pointless or minor flaw is just as bad. Being a loner, not liking to talk to people, not getting along with everyone, getting mad easy are not flaws enough to pull someone from this trope. Those are extremely common flaws to the point that even people considered perfect can have and still not be noticed.

I stopped watching the anime due to the main characters being way too good, even more so then SAO cause at least SAO gave a bad reason for it, which is better then nothing and in the end, all of SAO's BS skills were in a game not in the real world of the story.


I guess his flaws can seem rather minor, especially in the anime. I suppose I am a bit bias because I read the novels which are significantly better. By your argument, I could also argue that all flaws have been used so many times in so many ways that the majority of main characters are a gary/mary. Which to be honest they probably are, atleast at some point in the story. Anyways, tatsuyas flaws are noticed by everyone.

The main characters are OP from the very beggining of the story but then so are allot of others in the story who are just as powerfull, so they have allot of people to potentially fight. I personally like that its not a story about weak people becoming stong, there are too many of those already. The story gets allot better as it goes on anyways.

As for the real world thing, the only difference between this world and the virtual world is the amount of information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Necessity



Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
All other characters became irrelevant now that the spoiler[Mahesvara] has arrived.


Yeah, they couldn't make him that OP, it would just be unfair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snackster1001



Joined: 28 Sep 2014
Posts: 32
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Guys, it's just a video game. Tatsuya is from a popular dengeki bunko novel, therefore they added him. Geez, all this talk about "the anime industry falling, no more gud main char. >Sad " has no place or merit here (just because certain series or characters are popular doesn't mean all main character are the same or same quality).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakmasta



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Posts: 368
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'll get a chuckle if he turns out to be low tier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shirohae



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 776
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Trivia Tim wrote:
Well apparently his sister wasn't enough. They just HAD to make Gary Stu playable. The fact that this series is successful enough to get two playable characters is incredibly tragic. The Japanese anime fandom has no standards, or any idea on what good writing is. It's pretty bad that protagonists have become such shallow, self insert characters, that they are making me miss Shinji from Evangelion. At least he was flawed, and not some bland, perfect, escapist character. At this rate, the anime industry will be nothing but bad self insert fanfiction. Series like this are basically the pathetic, Japanese male, equivalent of 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight.


I agree with you..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#Zero



Joined: 27 Jan 2014
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
YES! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bob_loblaw



Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 229
Location: Tanning in Hell
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Make Celty playable, Sega, and I'll consider it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group