• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kyoto Animation Reveals Gorgeous Art for 2016 Calendars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Even if the calendars expire, the beautiful artwork featured on them makes them worth keeping. Smile
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Just "WOW". KyoAni really tops the art department above all the others.
rinshiiya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I am Kyoani trash so maybe I'm exaggerrating but these look phenomenal. I'm honestly upset with the Free! calendar depsite it being my fave anime (enough with your lame, generic character pair ups, Kyoani......) but wow. Tamako Love Story & Kyokai no Kanata are BREATHTAKING. so is Hibike! of course, but that anime's art is on a level of it's own. I wish I could own all of these ugh
Korogoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Kyoani has beautiful art, and even if I think Free! is one of their best works (story wise) Hibike!'s animation is obviously the best one (well, Free! had the best water animation of the decade). I loved the way they even added dust to some scenes and Kumiko's eyes are simply stunning.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni is king of anime art.

They're also king of making thing shiny lol
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

the calendars would make a great addition to any office space.

Heheh show this in your office, ya could be labeled a pedo, "Why are they all school kids?" Laughing
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
Korogoro wrote:
Kyoani has beautiful art, and even if I think Free! is one of their best works (story wise) Hibike!'s animation is obviously the best one (well, Free! had the best water animation of the decade). I loved the way they even added dust to some scenes and Kumiko's eyes are simply stunning.

I'ma stop you now and say Free! is not one of their best works story wise, it's just better than crap like Kyoukai no Kanata and Tamako Market story wise.

Honestly not that impressed by the pics aside from the Kyoukai no kanata one - they are beautiful but they are no more impressive than the anime already was? So they are kinda boring. The Free one's in particular are just EH, if it looks like it could have been in the animation then I don't really mind it worth having on a calendar...I would say the Hibike ones are the only slight exception because that show looks so much better than most of their other stuff.

Otherwise the lack of creativity is disappointing - but it is KyoAni and their lack of creativity has been obvious for a while.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
The link to the order page for the Hibike! Euphonium 2016 calendar is right in the article. Nice.

A bit offtopic but I wonder for how much would the original frame sketch of this sell for:

I'd kill for a frame like this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
While I have seen just a few KyoAni titles, I gotta agree with the aspect that they are great with artwork. Of course, moe is also their forte.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Was hoping for a little Hyouka action, myself (since that's the only series of theirs I've seen, and I liked it a lot), but oh well. The "Sound Euphonium" images are gorgeous, and all this talk of its animation quality is getting me intrigued.
DLH112

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
no amagi brilliant park Sad
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
The art of Sound looks so... so... beautiful. (Yes, I'm I KyoAni fanboy)

Sound is one of my favorite from KyoAni, so just like someone said before me, I wouldn't mind if I get those calendars once they are outdated. I'd do everything to have that picture of Asuka-senpai playing the Euphonium. :3

And I'm also sad that there is no Hyouka art between those pictures. But maybe there are some surprises later on.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Was hoping for a little Hyouka action, myself (since that's the only series of theirs I've seen, and I liked it a lot), but oh well. The "Sound Euphonium" images are gorgeous, and all this talk of its animation quality is getting me intrigued.

Hyouka has not gotten any merchandise since 2013 from Kyoto Animation themselves (that does not mean Kadokawa isn't pushing merchandise from other companies). With their new strategy of leading committees, they're focusing on producing merchandise for those productions instead of productions where they get less revenue (thus only a few Amagi Brilliant Park pieces from them). That would be more money staying internally than heading to TBS, Kadokawa, Visual Arts, etc.

Sound! Euphonium is streaming on Crunchyroll right now worldwide (except Japan), so go ahead and view it.

Hyperdrve wrote:
The link to the order page for the Hibike! Euphonium 2016 calendar is right in the article. Nice.

A bit offtopic but I wonder for how much would the original frame sketch of this sell for:

The key frames for most of the animation in the promotional video shown at Comiket 87 were included in KyoAni's guidebook for Sound! Euphonium. Here's a sample page included on the web store. Additionally, the KyoAni Shop sold 7 sets of key frames from the 13 broadcast episodes throughout the broadcast. All 7 are up at the KyoAni Shop site.
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000521/
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000543/
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000559/ (out of stock)
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000569/ (out of stock)
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000572/
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000587/
http://kyoanishop.com/shopdetail/000000000604/

These are printed on thick paper and look absolutely gorgeous (I've got sets 1-4 and my middleman has 5-7 waiting for me).
Korogoro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

I'ma stop you now and say Free! is not one of their best works story wise, it's just better than crap like Kyoukai no Kanata and Tamako Market story wise.

Honestly not that impressed by the pics aside from the Kyoukai no kanata one - they are beautiful but they are no more impressive than the anime already was? So they are kinda boring. The Free one's in particular are just EH, if it looks like it could have been in the animation then I don't really mind it worth having on a calendar...I would say the Hibike ones are the only slight exception because that show looks so much better than most of their other stuff.

Otherwise the lack of creativity is disappointing - but it is KyoAni and their lack of creativity has been obvious for a while.

That's why I said "I think Free! Is one of their best works"... I THINK. I never said it was one of the best anime to exist without a doubt, it obviously has some plot problems, like most anime, but I still think Free! is one of their best works.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

I think it's from the Pictorial Record book shown here: http://kyoanido-event.com/goods/

but it doesn't have a shop link that I can find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2