• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alderamin on the Sky Light Novel Series Gets Anime Adaptation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
This is surprising imo...

Came out of nowhere. I wonder how many episodes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
LOL. So used to LN clones that have no appealing whatsoever, we have an adaptation of a light novel whose cover is like the biggest example of that... yet the anime visual art has at least a distinct enough design to pick my atention, I wonder if the producers will try to bring some life into it.

However, the rest still looks unattractive so unless I hear good things when it comes out I don't think I'll bother.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
I searched a bit about this LN series, it doesn't have the tags of [harem], [ecchi], or [supernatural] attached to it in the sources I've found. That gives me hope that the "woman-admiring" bit of the synopsis is restricted to a few words and a glance, as opposed to the overused "oopsy, I stumbled and fell on your breast *tee hee*" trope. And the synopsis itself seems somewhat interesting (hey, no "I accidentally saw the Female Lead changing clothes." +1 for that).

Stark700 wrote:
Came out of nowhere. I wonder how many episodes...

Probably a 12-episode adaptation.
Vent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
I am really sick of LNs where the protagonist is brilliant-but-lazy and outsmarts everyone by just naturally Being Better.

Granted it's better than being a personality black hole like the kiritos of the world but not by a whole lot
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
Same old light novel clone anime. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.
gustave154

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
The plot sounds cool I'll watch this because of the war strategy aspect.
ETX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
In before "another generic harem light novel adaptation get's an anime', No, it isn't one of those despite the slightly misleading LN cover(s).

Having read the 12 chapters of the manga that have been translated, I can vouch that it has a decent setting. The main male lead character is an expert on History, however he lacks the motivation to carry out certain task.

You can find the manga under the name "Tenkyou no Alderamin" if you want to get a feel for it.
Darkslayer18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
Having read 1 volume of the Light novel, I can say that it's not a bad one, definitely miles better than the usual battle harem stuffs we get every seasons.

It revolves around war an politics. The MC must fight for his country, even though his country is kind of the bad guy in this war. But to change his country for the better, he must first climb the ladder to become a high ranking officer first.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
There are also some a bit more original Light Novels out there. Hey, anime makers, why won't you make a second Baccano! season? Oh right, otakus won't buy that.

That's why we can't have good things. ;__;

At least this one doesn't look as bad as many of the other LN adaptions announced in the previous months, but still...
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Having read the 12 chapters of the manga that have been translated, I can vouch that it has a decent setting. The main male lead character is an expert on History, however he lacks the motivation to carry out certain task.

Darkslayer18 wrote:
It revolves around war an politics. The MC must fight for his country, even though his country is kind of the bad guy in this war. But to change his country for the better, he must first climb the ladder to become a high ranking officer first.

So he's basically a LN'ized version of LoGH with a LN'ized Yang Wen-li as the main character...
Darkslayer18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

So he's basically a LN'ized version of LoGH with a LN'ized Yang Wen-li as the main character...

Never watch LoGh so I can't say. The MC in this novel despises his country, but he doesn't want to do anything about it. But then some shit happen and he's forced to fight.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Sounds a little like Irresponsible Captain Tylor with a fantasy setting.

There's a challenge in works like this: if you have a protagonist who succeeds through brilliance, practice, and a little luck (one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration, as Edison described "genius"), the creators have to show them actually being brilliant (plus maybe a bit of the perspiration), instead of having people stand around remarking at how brilliant they were.

This doesn't happen often. Girls und Panzer did it well --- the show gave us Miho sweating over strategems, with the highly entertaining payoff for the audience when we got to see them play out. I think No game, no life had some success at it, even with its over-powered protagonists. Looking back farther, it's hard to find examples. Perhaps the protagonist of The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, whose success came at replaying the moves of brilliant historical figures. Shion, the protagonist of Starship Operators capped that series with a brilliant save, the result of several days spent in the simulator playing out different scenarios until she found one that had a prayer of success.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
It's typical that a LN series will get up 12-13 TV episodes with them often covering 1-3 volumes of the light novel.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
But it didn't come out of nowhere. People (in japan) have been expecting it for a little bit now. Its popularity is pretty big there
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Huh. This sounds tentatively interesting. At least the plot sounds like it has the potential to be grounded in stratagems and political intrigue. The main character seems a mite young to pull it off realistically, but it's a light novel, so I can give it some leeway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2