• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

But you said you could do a better job. Maybe it isn't as easy as you think? Wink

It really isn't - I've done translation from French to English as well as English to French (and some Italian to English), and there are a lot of factors to consider. The sheer number of times you go over something looking for the perfect translation can make it harder to see your errors because you've just looked at the page so damn many times.

I know I'm the one who pointed it out in the review, and yes, it does annoy me in my triple roles as Reader, Reviewer, and Teacher. But I also understand that it isn't easy to translate and publish a book and it won't stop me from picking up further One Peace Books releases if they sound interesting. Besides, it wasn't nearly as bad as this one YA novel I read, Wentworth Hall, where I actually had my Red Pen of Doom in my hand the whole time because it was so poorly written/edited. Laughing

@Ask John
As of this (busy) moment, all I can find is on page 231: "it bit a deep" etc. The "a" doesn't belong. Also "whoa" is consistently spelled as "woah," which is incorrect. I'll go back and look further when I have the chance, and thank you for your attention to this.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
just hope those are not firo lines, iirc she speaks in a relatively broken way, so it should be the same in english; also the novel is poorly written (in a technical, not plot , viewpoint) in the original japanese as well.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
@Ask John
As of this (busy) moment, all I can find is on page 231: "it bit a deep" etc. The "a" doesn't belong. Also "whoa" is consistently spelled as "woah," which is incorrect. I'll go back and look further when I have the chance, and thank you for your attention to this.

Thanks very much for the example. The extra "a" that should not be present is in my "final" proofing draft, so that's a legitimate error I overlooked. There are some weird spellings in the books. I'm used to "d*amnit" being spelled with an "n," but in the books it's spelled as "d*mmit." But both spellings are valid, according to the dictionary. I guess I didn't consciously think about the spelling of "whoa" because "woah" struck me as a valid phonetic spelling. But I concede, now that it's been pointed out to me, that it's not a valid dictionary spelling. Probably too late to fix it now, but I see that it's consistently spelled "woah" in the second & third books. I'll correct the spelling of "whoa" in book four.

Just for reference, using MS Word annotations, I made 848 corrections to the translation draft of the first novel.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
This series is based off a web novel series, and there's also a manga adaptation, and each version alters the plot greatly.

Oh, really? I didn't know this.

Reminds me of Junk Force. I don't know about the web novel (or the drama CDs), but the manga and lights novels were drastically different.
(now if only someone would finish translating the novels...)

Princess_Irene wrote:
esides, it wasn't nearly as bad as this one YA novel I read, Wentworth Hall, where I actually had my Red Pen of Doom in my hand the whole time because it was so poorly written/edited. Laughing

I attacked my volume of Tokyopop's Tokyo Mew Mew with a pencil, and never did get more than a few volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2