• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mixed Feelings in Iran Over The Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bathory67

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well ,I bet alot of these anime fans in Iran will be amazed that it was also based on a Japanese novel.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Fools, there are Zionists everywhere. :p

In any case, while there was bound to be some disagreement, it's nice to know that Iranian anime fans are enjoying an anime about Persian history. Even if it's not in a politically correct way, I'm always glad to see an American or a Filipino in an anime.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Great read. I personally love stories that are based around Persia, and adore Persia as an ancient culture. I believe too many times they were just on the wrong side of history.

Many of the Arabian Nights are actually Persian in origin too, which is pretty cool.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Bathory67 wrote:
Well ,I bet alot of these anime fans in Iran will be amazed that it was also based on a Japanese novel.

Which is in turned based on a the Persian epic just as the article pointed out. Its also written by the same guy who did, drumroll please, LOGH, which is loosely based European history.

Also they clearly would not be shocked, the anime fans specifically because as the article pointed out they have to spend a lot of time studying whether to watch something due to constraints, and being anime fans clearly must be aware of the material.

Now some casual observer from Iran might think differently but that is understandable, I am sure there are plenty of older people in Japan that aren't anime fans that could make the same mistake.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
It gets to show that there may be some anime fanatics in Iran even though conservatism is a thing there.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
When Iran, is a very religious & cultural place. Such comments were expected.

Anime, tends to have female characters wearing oddly sexual clothing. Other, than that. That isn`t the goal of "Arslan" to do such a thing to their culture. It just was so happened that they did it in this way. Whether one thinks it`s good or bad. They did not try to degrade their culture, in any way.
#Rasen no Hikari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
These comments made me lol hard

Quote:
"The Japanese have certainly made a story based on Iranian civilization, but there must be ulterior motives behind this,"

why would jpn have ulterior motives for iran?they gain nothing from iran like literally NOTHING.

Quote:
"Before others recreate Iranian history for us, why don't we study our own virtuous history?"

Iranian History books are very incomplete,i even learned some history of iran from other people or internet

Quote:
"Another viewer went further and claimed the anime was a plot to deceive Iranian girls."

More than 50% of iranian girls are already corrupt who would bother to deceive them lol

Quote:
Iranian girls are wise and the enemy is misguided.

>Iranian Girls
>Wise
Choose one.

at least other iranian comments were somehow better and true unlike these extremists which have always led the country to its ruin.

as a person who lives in iran i couldnt hold myself against this post,i even went ahead and registered after years just to comment on this, sorry if i sound selfish.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Arslan is great I hope more anime of its kind come out in the future. I like how it is based on the history and culture of a nation from ancient times and has its own originality along with the diffusion of cultural traits represented in each character. It's also great to watch an epic anime and once in a while think that something like it may have occured thousands of years ago.
Genos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I mean the depiction of Farangis in the original Arslan animation based on the novels was a lot more modest than the current depiction. It is sad to say, but her current depiction is an obvious attempt to draw in male (whispers otaku) readership/viewership rather than to actually serve a functional purpose. I mean if you look at the other female characters (spoiler maybe?) designs, they are nothing like hers. All of main female characters, however, are strong, resilient fighters, which in some respect is a powerful portrayal of women that I, as a female reader/viewer, deeply admire about the series. It is, however, nice that for the most part that anime can bring cultures together... or something Smile
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
#Rasen no Hikari wrote:
These comments made me lol hard

Quote:
"The Japanese have certainly made a story based on Iranian civilization, but there must be ulterior motives behind this,"

why would jpn have ulterior motives for iran?they gain nothing from iran like literally NOTHING.

Quote:
"Before others recreate Iranian history for us, why don't we study our own virtuous history?"

Iranian History books are very incomplete,i even learned some history of iran from other people or internet

Quote:
"Another viewer went further and claimed the anime was a plot to deceive Iranian girls."

More than 50% of iranian girls are already corrupt who would bother to deceive them lol

Quote:
Iranian girls are wise and the enemy is misguided.

>Iranian Girls
>Wise
Choose one.

at least other iranian comments were somehow better and true unlike these extremists which have always led the country to its ruin.

as a person who lives in iran i couldnt hold myself against this post,i even went ahead and registered after years just to comment on this, sorry if i sound selfish.

Welcome! It's good to see a comment from someone there about the article! Recently, the chef Anthony Bourdain did a show in Iran and it looked pretty cool, so I've become pretty interested in the culture. I've been meaning to check out this show, too, so this is a good incentive!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think her outfit is that weird. People have to realize prior to the Church coming to power in Europe and Islam rising in the middle east, these war more open and sexually free cultures. Hell just take a look at the Greeks.

Ill just make this point here, Jasmine from Aladdin, who is from a similar pseudo middle east fictional area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fangris+arslan&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIquSsr-zeyAIVBiUeCh3NwAIn&biw=1421&bih=666&dpr=1.25#tbm=isch&q=princess+jasmine
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Genos wrote:
I mean the depiction of Farangis in the original Arslan animation based on the novels was a lot more modest than the current depiction. It is sad to say, but her current depiction is an obvious attempt to draw in male (whispers otaku) readership/viewership rather than to actually serve a functional purpose.

Hiromu Arakawa has said in the past that she really enjoys drawing sexy women, I'm pretty sure that's all there is to Farangis's design
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Even if the title exaggerates some, I did enjoy the article; it's neat to see the unique perspectives of certain groups of fans.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't think her outfit is that weird. People have to realize prior to the Church coming to power in Europe and Islam rising in the middle east, these war more open and sexually free cultures. Hell just take a look at the Greeks.

Ill just make this point here, Jasmine from Aladdin, who is from a similar pseudo middle east fictional area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fangris+arslan&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIquSsr-zeyAIVBiUeCh3NwAIn&biw=1421&bih=666&dpr=1.25#tbm=isch&q=princess+jasmine

Ok farangis's outfit was greatly inaccurate considering women were highly conservative in ancient times and Islamic countries are the most conservative. Because women were rarely if not ever seen in public, and even if you did the most skin that would be revealed would probably be the area around the eyes, besides that they are covered.
As for Aladdin the Disney movie (which you are clearly referencing) was already known to be flawed! Jasmine the princess of Arabia was dressed up like an Indian belly dancer which would be the equivalent of a king being dressed up like a jester, no one in Arabia would be dressed like that. Disney has seriously messed up (or changed) the original story of Aladdin so I would not recommend anyone to use that movie as a historical reference for the culture of the Middle East.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
They should also make an anime about mongols conquer of Persia, Russia, China. I want to see all the hates from those counties. That's history too.
It would be a more interesting military anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3