• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Japanese Godzilla Film Listed as Godzilla Resurgence in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
this movie will be directed by the guy who directed the live action adaptation of Shingeki no Kyojin
ingredient of greatness
there's no way this movie will suck....
at all....
i'm serious....
not really...
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
this movie will be directed by the guy who directed the live action adaptation of Shingeki no Kyojin
ingredient of greatness
at all....
i'm serious....
not really...

To be fair; at least Higuchi is a long time Godzilla fan who has actually worked on Godzilla '84, the fan-favorite 90's Gamera trilogy, and other kaiju movies. I'm sure all of the faults that were made in the live action AoT movie were most likely due to the studios having him adapt a series that's still incomplete just to board the hype train. However, this is something more along the lines of a passion project for him; plus with his good buddy Hideaki Anno helming the scripts, It's fair to assume (at the very least) an interesting/edgy take on the King of the Monsters.
AegisX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
ingredient of greatness
at all....
i'm serious....
not really...

He's only co-directing, and he's doing so alongside Hideaki Anno. Most of Higuchi's role in the film is as special effects director, which he always, always knocks out of the park. There's a reason the Heisei Gamera trilogy are often considered some of the best kaiju films ever made and he's a very large part of that.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
I actually rode my bicycle past the hotel in Santa Monica where they held the AFM event, which makes me wish I knew they were screening a video reel from this movie there. (Not that I would have been able to get in, of course.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
It being worked on by a guy who is a long-time Godzilla fan, friend of the Eva creator, and who worked on the live-action Attack on Titan films? They had me sold on this alone.

Also, the fact that Toho is even using the name "Godzilla" and not "Gojira", even if its just for marketing purposes, has me think that maybe some native Japanese fans prefer the dubbed name to their native name.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait to check out the new Godzilla film. We got two giants coming up, a new Godzilla film and a new Gamera film. Though I'm curious how they are going to handle the origin story of Godzilla this time. The last of the "Heisei" era to the "Millennium" era had to always ambiguously explain how Godzilla came to be. I'm assuming that will stay the same. Will they mention the infamous "bomb" that was created? Each film always seems to give it different names but it's end result is the same. Thing is the recipe died with the scientist going back to the 1954 movie. His name is never mentioned in the new films.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm insanely excited for this, thanks to Hideaki Anno's heavy involvement. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Hopefully it meets my expectations halfway at the very least, then I would be perfectly content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1