• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Concept Movie Will Be Core of New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
OK, "enlighten me" as some say. I legitimately saw no foreshadowing....

In my opinion there was no direct, literal, foreshadowing from the TV series in the strict sense of the word. However I do think the TV series sets this up in several ways:

1) The TV makes it abundantly clear that the directors have no problems whatsoever with bad things happening to the main characters. After having watched a few episodes we should not be surprised by something bad happening to Homura or Madoka. They already shocked us whenspoiler[ Mami got her head bitten off] and when Sayakaspoiler[ became a witch]. We should expect more shocks.

2) The TV makes it abundantly clear that magical girlsspoiler[ can and do become witches.] on a regular basis. The fact that spoiler[this happened to Homura] is not without precedent.

3) There is a lot of dialogue relating to the concept of fate and karmic balance; how "hope and despair balance out to zero". spoiler[Well, when Madoka becomes Madokami doesn't that leave a big blank space for something/someone to balance it out? That something is Homucifer.]

4) The TV is clearly strongly influenced by the story of Faust. In that tale spoiler[Faust (Homura) is granted powers by the devil (QB), and pursues the object of his affection, Gretchen (Madoka). Faust ends up causing Gretchen's death and is convinced that he is damned and gives up hope.] That sounds an awful lot like what happened in the TV+Rebellion. spoiler[ At the end of Faust it turns out that he is redeemed, and he and Gretchen are together together in Heaven. That could easily be what happens in the new movie.]

Now when we get to Rebellion itself there are loads of clues as to what happens later in the film. I must admit that I noticed little of it the first time I watched Rebellion, but there are plenty of clues there:

-the images which show in rapid succession during the first few minutes show all sorts of horrible things happening to Madoka

-Notice how spoiler[the nightmare dolls are manipulated by hands covered in sickly-looking spots. We see the exact same sickly-looking spots during Homura's transformation sequence as part of the "holy quintet", suggesting quite early on that Homura is responsible for the nightmares.]

Last edited by Shiflan on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
my jaw hit the floor and stayed there for the entire rest of the day... And then I spent the next several months trying to make up my mind about the thing.

If that's not the definition of a good movie then I don't know what is!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:

You can't really say that the TV series foreshadowed it since the movie wasn't planned until after the TV series. Urobuchi said in an interview that he originally planned to end with the TV series so there's no way he could have foreshadowed something he hadn't even planned on. He also said that his original plan for the movie was to end with spoiler[Goddess Madoka taking Homura away], which would have made a much better ending. The ending we got felt like it only existed for shock value and opening the franchise up for more sequels. I don't mind dark endings, but an ending should be conclusive, not sequel bait for a franchise that never needed more than the TV series in the first place.

No it wouldn't have made for a better ending.

Homura is a mentally deranged stalker who went to absurd lengths for a girl who barely knew her. Everything in the show and the movie makes this blatantly obvious. spoiler[Madoka trusted her and got stabbed in the back because Homura isn't a good person. All she cares about is keeping Madoka caged up like a damn pet. She doesn't give a DAMN about what Madoka feels.]
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really excited about this news. While I felt that Rebellion was a waste of my time, and money (worst $60 I've spent in quite a while), the fact that they are quite possibly coming back to conclude what was started with Rebellion's finale is exciting.

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of Aldnoah.Zero or Psycho Pass 2. While Urobuchi hasn't had the best reputation recently, I would rather have him return to write this, rather than let someone else tell the story.

Many of us saw what happened with those two series, and I'd rather not go through that, again, with Madoka.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
While Urobuchi hasn't had the best reputation recently, I would rather have him return to write this, rather than let someone else tell the story.

Many of us saw what happened with those two series, and I'd rather not go through that, again, with Madoka.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that Urobuchi had very little to do with both of those shows. His only credit on PP2 was "story concept"--he didn't write the screenplay, direct, or have any role of substance. It's like his name got credited simply because he was involved with the original PP. On Aldnoah.Zero he was credited as the "original creator" and he wrote the screenplay for the first 3 episodes but other than that, no involvement. That's very different from the level of involvement he had with PMMM.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that Urobuchi had very little to do with both of those shows. His only credit on PP2 was "story concept"--he didn't write the screenplay, direct, or have any role of substance. It's like his name got credited simply because he was involved with the original PP. On Aldnoah.Zero he was credited as the "original creator" and he wrote the screenplay for the first 3 episodes but other than that, no involvement. That's very different from the level of involvement he had with PMMM.

You are absolutely correct, he was both of those things for Aldnoah and PP2, and I would rather that he's not that for Madoka.

I should have probably been clearer in my comment. I would rather not have a new screenwriter show up for this new Madoka project. It has to be Urobuchi doing his thing for the whole project, or else I'll be really worried.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
I would rather not have a new screenwriter show up for this new Madoka project. It has to be Urobuchi doing his thing for the whole project, or else I'll be really worried.

Agreed! It seems that "Urobuchi" shows work well when he is intimately involved but the ones where it's "name only"...well...don't.

I'd extend that to say that Simbo really needs to be the director as well. IMHO there's a lot more to PMMM than the script alone. It needs the directorial style of Simbo, the SHAFT artwork, etc.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Agreed! It seems that "Urobuchi" shows work well when he is intimately involved but the ones where it's "name only"...well...don't.

I'd extend that to say that Simbo really needs to be the director as well. IMHO there's a lot more to PMMM than the script alone. It needs the directorial style of Simbo, the SHAFT artwork, etc.

Exactly. There's a lot to the style of the series that makes it work as well. Thankfully, at the very least, it's heavily implied that a lot of the original staff is coming back. So, I'm A-Okay with that!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Ahem.....

I will not name names; instead, I will simply ask that people think twice before clicking on that "Submit" icon.....
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any issue with how Rebellion ended, anymore, but I've gotten pretty tired of the way all discussion of it has deteriorated into "It was stupid, it came out of nowhere and it's depressing" vs. "No, you're stupid, it was perfect and realistic!" At least once this new part comes out, we'll have some new things to argue about...

More importantly, if Mami is War, does that mean Kyouko = Famine and Sayaka = Death? I guess Kyubey or [insert least favorite character here] can be Pestilence.
solarsun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So I loved rebellion. After watching it I didn't know I would like it but after thinking and discussing it with the boyfriend it grew on me (and a movie that can make you talk about it long after watching it has something right going on).

I didn't like the movie bait either but I do want to see how this fourth movie comes out.

The boyfriend and I discuss a lot of Homaru was selfish or selfless and Madoka being selfish in her wish as well (where most consider her selfless).

spoiler[ We don't know how long Homaru spent going through the time loop. We only see glimpses of how it affected her. To watch the person you most cherish die over and over and over again would get to you. Though it's an odd idea for some I do think her snapping in Rebellion was a reasonable character trait.]
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Love it or hate it, I don't think a lot of people understand Rebellion at all.

spoiler[Prior to Rebellion, Homura is the only magical girl to never get her wish. Sure, she could restart time over and over again, but she could never truly protect Madoka from becoming a witch or her God-wish.

So as it turns out, even Kyubey can't grant the impossible; not when someone's wish conflicts with another's. It all comes down to Madoka's wish, or Homura's.

Now ask yourself this: is Homura truly selfish, or is she just taking what is rightfully hers, even if it means becoming the incarnation of evil? She entered into a contract, but was never given her side of the deal.

When it was supposedly Homura's time to be taken in into the Law of Cycles, she had to make a choice: and that choice was for her own wish to be fulfilled over her friend's. Now, as Devil Homura, she really is powerful enough to protect Madoka - to the point where time has been altered so that Madoka never had a wish to be cancelled in the first place.]

To me, that's about as good an ending as you can ask for: a gray-area resolution that leaves you pondering what lies between right and wrong.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Although hardly surprising, it is good to hear confirmation of more Madoka. I assume Urobuchi is on board.

As someone who liked Rebellion more than the TV series, I hope this new project is linked with Rebellion.

I'm with you. I liked rebellion more than the tv show. So I hope they don't redcon it because some fans hate change. Alot of fans say the tv show had a great ending but it ended just like rebellion but with another character changing the world. Also rebellion can be connected to the ending of tv. The last few minutes of the end of tv you see Homura walking away from the camera with black aura growing and taking over her (her about to die but Kyubey saving her by turning her into a witch and not just digital noise) So it fits nice I thought

Also rebellion was a movie for fans. Everyone wanted to see Homura and Mami to fight for real. How Madoka wasn't a good main chatacter and was over shadow by Homura so they made Homura the main character. Lastly how would the show look like if it was just a real magical girl show with the nightmare singing battle lol which I enjoy alot
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I have always seen Homura as a strong character. Who do you want as a friend. Someone who will walk 500 miles to get you medicine, or someone who gives up after 100 miles because its just too hard.
What would you do to save your girl friend or wife. Would you give up, sorry just couldn't do it.

Yet, this very trait somehow makes Homura a socipathic stalker in the eyes of some.

The real reason Homura was written this way and why Rebellion was not a direct sequel of the TV series, was because the powers that be wanted a reset.

I love Madoka Magica, and I did like the beginning and middle of Rebellion. If I had to, I could have made myself accept Rebellion's turn of Homura, because of what the Kyubeys DID. NOT though, some character flaw in Homura.

But the writers failed to prove their case, but not only that, they failed spectacularly when it came to the battle of the egg. Homura's strong character showed through. She was not broken. She wouldn't have gone from that, to a betrayal, like flipping a coin.

I look forward to this next movie, in which I hope they resolve Rebellion's sequel bait. Though I still hope we get a direct sequel to the TV series, but probably it won't happen.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have always seen Homura as a strong character. Who do you want as a friend. Someone who will walk 500 miles to get you medicine, or someone who gives up after 100 miles because its just too hard.
What would you do to save your girl friend or wife. Would you give up, sorry just couldn't do it.

Yet, this very trait somehow makes Homura a socipathic stalker in the eyes of some.

The real reason Homura was written this way and why Rebellion was not a direct sequel of the TV series, was because the powers that be wanted a reset.

I love Madoka Magica, and I did like the beginning and middle of Rebellion. If I had to, I could have made myself accept Rebellion's turn of Homura, because of what the Kyubeys DID. NOT though, some character flaw in Homura.

But the writers failed to prove their case, but not only that, they failed spectacularly when it came to the battle of the egg. Homura's strong character showed through. She was not broken. She wouldn't have gone from that, to a betrayal, like flipping a coin.

I look forward to this next movie, in which I hope they resolve Rebellion's sequel bait. Though I still hope we get a direct sequel to the TV series, but probably it won't happen.

What Homura did in the tv show was trying to save the world because if madoka turn into a magical girl she would turn into a witch that ends the world. At the end madoka still makes a wish that makes a new world where magical girls still have to fight to clean their life gems or die when its fully black. Homura life gem starts to turn fully black as she gives up hope as we see a black aura over take her thats the end of tv. The 3rd movie picks up from there. At the end of 3rd movie Homura stoles god madoka powers to make reality and makes it where it breaks rule "devil like" but by doing that everyone is saved all the magical girls and even the violin guys arm is fixed. I saw it as a pretty happy ending. Tv ending was the same world without witches and some characters where gone for good and the memory of her as well.

So I don't believe Homura turn on madoka or went mad. She just did the same thing madoka did change reality but did it better by breaking the rules
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4