• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia Anime's Ochako, Tenya Character Designs Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Urakara looks cute :3

I can't wait to see her in animated form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, wait, her hair is brown? Shocked

I pictured it as blonde or some other really light color. I've only read the first volume, which has no colored art of her, and she has no shading or screen tone whatsoever on her hair.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Iida looks suitably stiff, and Uraraka looks suitably Uraraka.
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Cmon ANN. Her first name is Uraraka and her last name is Ochako
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

The website lists her name as 麗日お茶子 in the Japanese form of family name first and first name last. So her name in English with first name first and family name last would be Ochako Uraraka. The official website has her name written in the Roman alphabet with first name first and family name last as Ochaco Uraraka. The article is correct.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

I pictured it as blonde or some other really light color. I've only read the first volume, which has no colored art of her, and she has no shading or screen tone whatsoever on her hair.

Yeah that's one thing I honest to God don't understand when Horikoshi draws her. Maybe he's sick of using all the ink it takes to draw all might or something I dunno. But you're not alone in the confusion.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

I went and checked, and it looks like her hair is brown in the manga's color art as well. Though a slightly lighter shade of brown.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

It's a strange one to call because her hair colour has actually been changing slightly throughout the series. At the start it was brown like we see here but more recent colour pages has shown her with lighter hair, even being slightly orange.
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

The website lists her name as 麗日お茶子 in the Japanese form of family name first and first name last. So her name in English with first name first and family name last would be Ochako Uraraka. The official website has her name written in the Roman alphabet with first name first and family name last as Ochaco Uraraka. The article is correct.

No its not correct. The article specifically states that first name is Ochako, its not. The article along with all other ANN articles uses the English naming system so she should be listed as Uraraka Ochako just as Iida is listed as Tenya Iida.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GrizzlyDeku wrote:
Crystalyn wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

No its not correct. The article specifically states that first name is Ochako, its not. The article along with all other ANN articles uses the English naming system so she should be listed as Uraraka Ochako just as Iida is listed as Tenya Iida.

Does it really matter that much to you??
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
GrizzlyDeku wrote:
Crystalyn wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

I honestly can't believe i'm having to argue what my one of my favorite characters name is. Can someone back me up? Am I going Crazy?
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:
Crystalyn wrote:
GrizzlyDeku wrote:

Does it really matter that much to you??

Not personally. I just think its kind of embarassing for ANN. Very unbecoming of the internets "most trusted" anime news source.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
@GrizzlyDeku: ANN printed her name as it appears in English on the My Hero Academia website. In English, "first name" usually means one's given name, while "last name" means surname/family name. So her "first name" is Ochaco, even if the normal order in Japanese is reversed. That's how I'm interpreting the article.
GrizzlyDeku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
@GrizzlyDeku: ANN printed her name as it appears in English on the My Hero Academia website. In English, "first name" usually means one's given name, while "last name" means surname/family name. So her "first name" is Ochaco, even if the normal order in Japanese is reversed. That's how I'm interpreting the article.

Even if thats the case she should still be listed as Uraraka Ochako in the article. And the title of the article should use Uraraka if they are going to use Tenya.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
TBH, I've visited the ANN site for over a decade, and I was never under the impression that they had a rule for how they presented names. They even mentioned in the article that her first name is "Ochaco", so it was pretty clear to me, not to mention they were following the Japanese presentation of the names in English as well.

Tenya is actually that second character's first name as well, so they were consistent with the order that they presented. Iida is a common family name in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2