• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are some of Japanese MVs on YT region blocked?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Hello there, i've been thinking lately, i try to access to Shoko Nakagawa's MV on her YT channels, but they are region blocked. Which bringes to these regions, why do Japan's record labels put such an region restriction blocked on YT? Even SMEJ MVs are region blocked as well. Confused

(sorry for my poor English)
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
A lot of PVs and CMs (Promotional Videos and Commercials) get put up online and are region blocked, and not just on YT. Sometimes it may have to do with licensing (I know quite a few anime have had to have different openings or closings in the US because they couldn't license the song used in Japan), sometimes it's just a matter of "this is for Japan (or wherever) only." I know a lot of the web shorts for tokusatsu series get locked, too. Sadly, it's just something that Westerners have to deal with.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
A lot of PVs and CMs (Promotional Videos and Commercials) get put up online and are region blocked, and not just on YT. Sometimes it may have to do with licensing (I know quite a few anime have had to have different openings or closings in the US because they couldn't license the song used in Japan), sometimes it's just a matter of "this is for Japan (or wherever) only." I know a lot of the web shorts for tokusatsu series get locked, too. Sadly, it's just something that Westerners have to deal with.

Yeah, i know that. But one thing is that almost all of J-pop MVs are short version, they don't upload full length at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1