• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ERASED [2016-01-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...Hinazuki-chan is seen entering the building as the kids are leaving.

Where is that? The only time I recall her entering when someone was leaving was when she was late to class and Satoru passed her on his confused flight from school.

We also see a woman kicking the crap out of her, but it's unclear, might not even be her, or might only be in Satoru's imagination of what she's enduring.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that the abuser is the mother is made clear when her essay about leaving says something along the lines of "my mother would just carry on with her life as usual", with a background image of the mother throwing what I assume would be Kayo's belongings in the trash. Plus when Kayo asks Satoru if he cares that much about his mother and she seems shocked, as if she couldn't understand that feeling. I could be wrong, but at least as far as I understood, that wasn't even up to the question
RoCu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
After watching the 2nd episode I went ahead and read the manga, gotta say, the mangaka isn't pulling his punches Sad
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
so far so good

but Boku dake ga Inai Machi being a 12 episodes series is a let down

i hope there will be season 2 or you have to pick up the manga after episode 12
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
so far so good

i hope there will be season 2 or you have to pick up the manga after episode 12

The anime will contain the ending of the manga, which will be published very shortly before he corresponding anime episode airs
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

It's on noitaminA. Most of their shows have been one cour.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 3.

In the first half I was sort of thinking to myself that this is going to be one of those dramas where you're just going to yell at the screen begging for someone to fix everything.

While that's good and all I really appreciated that in the second half they offered some progress, and that scene with the Christmas tree is so far my favourite scene of the year. Let's see how long it takes for something to knock it off first place.

I'm suspicious of the teacher though. Like why did the camera linger on his face after Satoru left the room, and is it just me or did he kind of make this face: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dYDxxHrlmUg/maxresdefault.jpg
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
This is literally one of the best mature anime that I have seen in the past few years. The only one that even comes close to it off the top of my head is Fate/Zero.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 should clear up why no one has tried helping Hinazuki with her abuse, which I've seen people have problems with after episode 2. As in, they have tried, but the authorities are incompetent/inefficient.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Like why did the camera linger on his face after Satoru left the room, and is it just me or did he kind of make this face:

There's also that final scene with him and Kenya that looked ominous. Could be going for something, or could be just standard 'framing everyone as a suspect' direction.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kayo's face the moment she's accused, and when they find the money Sad Broke my heart.

Loving the little details this series uses just so damn well. I mean, after the money trouble, when Kayo explains that it was likely because of the pencil incident from before, I was just very much impressed by that. Creator could have done something like "She made fun of my tattered clothes" or "She would always laugh at my old-style back pack," like most stories would go, but her stubby pencils, of all things? Exactly the kind of thing a child would do.

So much I love about ERASED. Easily my favorite anime of the season.

P.S. Kayo looked so cute in her little pink sweater and name tag!
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
You know, I understand getting the template-standard "the directing blah blah, the animation blah blah" drivel review for a magical high school show or something similarly content-free, but can we possibly get a review discussing, dunno, the actual CONTENT of the next episode, please and thank you? This is an actual meaty, quality show that would be lovely to discuss on a week-to-week basis and generic, pointless reviews like this kill threads hard.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I was actually a little surprised that spoiler[Kayo's mother was abusing her.] I couldn't decide last time if it was red herring or not, but booooy. That was...frustrating to watch. I really liked the added touch where Kayo's mother almost shoves Satoru aside. I felt like that really summed up his (and maybe the viewer's) frustrations--you really wanted to give that lady a piece of your mind, but as a kid, against that size and strength, she'd just toss you aside. :/

As for the last scene, I'm predict that spoiler[Kenya stole the money] for reasons yet unknown, and that the teacher is the real kidnapper. He just seems too nice and dependable so far in a world that paints a lot of the adults in shades of gray. And spoiler[Kayo's mother's boyfriend(?)] seems too obvious.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
This series is giving off vibes of uncomfortable abysses that remind me of True Detective's atmosphere. Such a joy to watch. The lack of unnecessary, distracting score tremendously adds to the continuous urgency.

The ice skating scene was well used. Satoru realizing he made the same "mistake" as his younger self reminded him and the audience casually of what's at stake and how he has to take initiative, leading him to take Hinazuki with him to the mountain and changing his memory of seeing the foxes by himself.

On the other hand, the teacher confiding in a child and telling Satoru about the abuse and possible measures felt slightly out of place in this show - what kind of real teacher would do that in this situation? Except if he is going to be somehow involved in the coming murder (he was framed as slightly sketchy this episode).

At this point, I'm somewhat concerned about Satoru's blonde friend becoming collateral damage because of Satoru changing history. Or that he might be involved in the crimes. Or both. He seems too mature and aware of what's going on with Satoru and Hinazuki to just be the, well, mature friend. That last image of him and the teacher was worrying.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
You know, I understand getting the template-standard "the directing blah blah, the animation blah blah" drivel review for a magical high school show or something similarly content-free, but can we possibly get a review discussing, dunno, the actual CONTENT of the next episode, please and thank you? This is an actual meaty, quality show that would be lovely to discuss on a week-to-week basis and generic, pointless reviews like this kill threads hard.

Its anime, animation will always be an important aspect.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

Clearly you've never been to a film class before. It's pretty much the first thing they will drill into your head, that every single shot and edit has to be made with a purpose. Frankly the content is heavily tied to the direction of the work I think it's crucial to discuss how the weight of the scene is tied to the way it's presented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30