• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Winter Wasteland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac, that promo was glorious.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Also of note, Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, and Michelle Ruff are returning to their Red Jacket series roles as Lupin, Jigen, and Fujiko for the dub of the show. No word on Lex Lang yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

Wait? What? Holy crap just did a search and saw this on the crunchyroll news thanks to your post. This would be freaking awesome! They're the perfect Lupin cast.

Total win if they finally return as the crew.
Please happen.

Also, agreed, the Fujiko series was great, thank goodness they got Michelle Ruff for Fujiko atleast.

The new 2015 show has an awesome art style too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:
Zac, that promo was glorious.

Sure made ME want to go and buy a Gundam.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
So Hope mostly likes shows with high production values? Such a shallow reason to be honest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Luffy's bastard child wrote:

Okay, in hindsight I can definitely see how my post may have been better served as a PM to Zac instead of posting it on the forums. I didn't mean for this to be such a big blowout, it was just an immediate venue and my purpose honestly was not to start trouble.

Sorry I didn't respond to this - it's a weird thing to hear. Hope and I are engaged, we live and work together. We talked about what you wrote during dinner the other night. What you're hearing is our usual dynamic, and Hope is just as aggressive a debater as I am. I give it as good as I get it most of the time, although I am the host of this show so I control and direct the conversation.

Remember that podcasts, even stuff made by professional entertainers, are largely just friends and family members making shows in their homes and offices. You're usually hearing the natural dynamic between two people. You can set your own boundaries and decide what sort of dynamic you like, but Hope and I are both really opinionated, aggressive conversationalists and I think that's what you're hearing rather than some kind of ingrained sexism.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
^^^^ Yup.

Also:

Pierrot. wrote:
So Hope mostly likes shows with high production values? Such a shallow reason to be honest.

Nope, if I liked shows with "high" production values, I wouldn't be in the business of watching anime at all. I don't like things I perceive to be ugly and cheap-looking, which is subjective, but kind of a universal thing. You don't like things you perceive to be cheap and ugly either, you just might have a different metric from mine.

Geez, the claws are really coming out on the forums today, huh?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
That promo was great Zaku, you sound like you have more energy.

Anncast is the only podcast i listen to two times in a row.

Hope would def say something if she felt any cut offs a problem.

Clarissa gets cut off a bunch on AWOs podcast but that's because of the passion of Daryl gets a bit out of hand. Zac and Hope sound natural.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Animation is a visual medium, it's not necessarily shallow to be annoyed by obvious cheapness in the production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
That's true, penguintruth (no pun intended). I enjoyed Ghost Urn, for example, but my GOD, does it look cheap. That lowers my enjoyment of the show.
aifhak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
The tone of her review did come across as highly offended and pissed off. Add in the factual inaccuracies and it further comes across that she's so offended by it that her perception of events is getting twisted.

And no, I'm not going after her "because she happens to be a woman." That's irrelevant. There are plenty of men out there who take their white knighting too far. I took issue with her "I felt I had to" comment because it brings her credibility into question. Anyone should share their thoughts as is and not purposely be theatric about it because they want more views or whatever.

You know how you aren't sexist, but you aren't phrasing yourself very well, and so it's easy to interpret you as trashing Hope's opinion and aggressively poking holes in what she said solely because she's a woman?

Like, it would be super easy for you to believe that I'd just completely dismiss your argument based on the fact that you kinda sound a whole lot like the guys who show up to fight every time a woman has a strong opinion on something?

That's tough for you, because while you respect Hope as a person and have no issue with Hope's gender, you do deeply disagree with her opinion and want to express your frustration with the way she chose to communicate it. It's hard to do that, because you have a strong authoritarian streak, and you also have a hard time masking how tired you are of being told to be careful when you're arguing with a woman on the internet. All you want to do is make sure Hope knows that the way she chose to communicate these ideas made you feel insulted - and that's really, really difficult to do without making yourself look like someone with a predetermined agenda rather than someone offering up legitimate critical feedback. You are, sincerely, offering the latter, however.

It's okay. I get your point.

This all sounds really familiar to me, like the time Hope wanted to express something that's really hard to get across - mainly that this show seems to be wallowing in a kind of mean-spirited otaku behavior that, when it's aimed at a woman, feels particularly belittling and objectifying. I saw the show, this isn't an extreme or totally left-field observation, it's a completely understandable reaction that, yes, a lot of people might disagree with. That's a tough sentiment to express in a way that isn't guaranteed to anger some very vocal people in the times we live in, and yes, you're likely to get a lot of blowback. Hope wound up clarifying what she meant on the show, though, and I thought it was a perfectly valid and understandable reaction.

You know, just like yours was, under all that clumsy language.

I think the timing just made it worse for us fans of the series Razz
No chance to get on the weekly reviews because the poll basicly ended while ep1 aired and the really harsh review ended up being the first thing people see due to the timing of how things got publish so there's probably a lot of people who just saw that and didn't bother from there on out.

I mean Kazuma can be an asshole and big parts of the comedy of the series that DOESN'T revolve around parody basicly comes down to "lol, get karma'd for being a dick" in either small, quick waves (Aqua ep1) or bigger, slow waves.

So yeah, when you know that this is just supposed to be a joke about all of those characters being nothing like those over the top perfect characters like you know them from other series (in his case, not being the nice "bigger man" or "gentleman" who will endure even if shit gets flung at him and believe me he does the same if it's a guy trashing him, or not being OP in the slightest like Kirito/SAO, Bell/DanMachi or even Shiro/LogHorizon) it's just sad if you're a fan. You obviously want the show to succeed and that problably made some people skip it from the get-go (which I get, is kinda what you're supposed to do as reviewers if you think it's bad Razz)
ESPECIALLY with konosuba when you probably know within 3 minutes of the show if it's your kind of thing or not with that death.

But in the end yeah, like I said in the innitial thread, I can totally understand this not being someone's thing with how crude and spiteful some of it is so I get where she's comming from to some degree. The timing of everything just somehow made it even worse Razz
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
One note on rakugo. You easily could assume it is an old folks entertainment. However When I visit in Tokyo I stay in Asakusa and the rakugo theater lines always have high school students, including often when school is in session.

There are even subtitled rakugo DVD discs out. If you enjoy humorous stories, especially shaggy dog stories these are great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3