• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon R BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vermin42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
So do retail versions of this set have the fixed discs now or do we still have to order replacement discs??
Jhechav

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like the dub. I think the voices are generally too high pitched and don't match the characters very well, although I know a lot of people really like it. I think the problem is the characters are 14/15 so they hired people to sound that age. However, as anyone who's seen the show notices, the characters look older. So the voices throw me off. I'm glad this show doesn't play up fanservice, because the dub would be even weirder to me.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
When my sister checked out season 1, she felt that the ghosting issues were less apparent on the DVD version compared to the Blu-ray version, possibly due to a slightly less "crisp" look overall. Does this still hold true for this version, or are they more or less the same?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Vermin42 wrote:
So do retail versions of this set have the fixed discs now or do we still have to order replacement discs??

Still have to order replacements I'm afraid.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The final episode of Sailor Moon R is a clip show, which definitely takes the tone down a notch, no matter how many times they show the same two or three clips from the upcoming Sailor Moon S.

It should be mentioned that the video quality for this episode is worse than the rest of the set and in this case, that's because Toei never bothered to clean it up for their own releases (as confirmed by two people who own the Japanese DVDs) so they used the same master as the 90s LaserDisc release and gave everyone else the same master so it doesn't look very good in other international releases either.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
When my sister checked out season 1, she felt that the ghosting issues were less apparent on the DVD version compared to the Blu-ray version, possibly due to a slightly less "crisp" look overall. Does this still hold true for this version, or are they more or less the same?

I found that in season 1 as well, and I didn't notice any ghosting this time around. Generally speaking, though, the DVDs being less "crisp" does make the animation look a little nicer. And if you're watching subbed, I'd definitely go with the DVD version, since the subs are easier to read.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to S.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I still need to get the replacement discs too. I already had to return my first R Part 2 set because something was wrong with the #1 BD disc so it wouldn't play properly when I tried to watch it. It was only after I exchanged it for another copy I found out about the Ep. 80 issues on the other #2 discs. Wish I'd known earlier because maybe I could have just tried to get a refund instead. Sailor Moon R is my favourite arc but, I've barely even watched the new set. All I bothered with was to confirm the issue with the first BD disc was just an unlucky isolated glitch, and what part# was on the BD/DVD discs in the new set I received so I'd know if I had the defective ones for Ep. 80 too. Come to think of it I never got the cover replacement for R Part 1 either. Sad

Hate to admit it but Viz has dampened my enthusiasm for Sailor Moon coming back to North America. I'm not sure I want to order S when it's solicited. I've only been buying the sets for the new English dub truly. Madman's DVD's seem much more appealing right now.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Viz really screwed the pooch with this SM release. They got everybody's hopes up by licensing a classic everybody wanted and redubbing it accurately, but the video quality is so lackluster they might as well have not bothered at all. They ran all their good will right into the ground. Funimation would have handled this so much better. (Well, probably... they did screw up their DBZ Blu-Ray release.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It should be mentioned that the video quality for this episode is worse than the rest of the set and in this case, that's because Toei never bothered to clean it up for their own releases (as confirmed by two people who own the Japanese DVDs) so they used the same master as the 90s LaserDisc release and gave everyone else the same master so it doesn't look very good in other international releases either.

I still have the episode recorded on a VHS somewhere. At least when it aired on TV, the graininess looked appropriate on a VHS tape.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
You know, the end result sums up why I respect Sailor Moon, but don't love it.

Keep in mind guys, I watched all of the first two seasons dubbed and own the DVDs, but I only watched them for the first time with Viz's redub, so there's no nostalgia backing me. When the reviewer said "Parts are genuinely touching and interesting" I just nodded my head. Parts. And to me, that's forgivable in a 12 or 24 episode show, but in a 100+ episode commitment? I hope the next season has less filler.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The extras are once again relatively extensive. There are two “gallery” features which showcase cel and promotional art..

Fixed the spelling error. It's spelled with one 'l' instead of two.

I'm curious to see which cels they decided to highlight. I'd like to hope they went with someone who has a fantastic collection, like Luna-Art. Otherwise, they're doing a serious disservice.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I was watching it on Hulu so far and I really have to say that the quality is terrible. SO, SO BAD. I can tell where things were smudged down to look more smooth but it just looks really off. It's just too noticeable.

In the meantime, Toei is bragging about their release of Sailor Moon R in HD right now, so I do know for a fact that Viz got the crappy end of the stick here. I really, really wish Funimation had the rights in the long run, so well.

I have mixed feelings about the dub in general and I think most of it is due to the scripting.

Honestly, I feel that the 90's version was more full of life, even if it had to do with the editing. I really hate comparing the two considering that the 90's was edited for a different market.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the dub in general and I think most of it is due to the scripting.

Honestly, I feel that the 90's version was more full of life, even if it had to do with the editing. I really hate comparing the two considering that the 90's was edited for a different market.

Same here. tygerchickchibi, you're one of the few people here who understands what made the 90s Sailor Moon dub so memorable to those of us who watched it, but then we've agreed about this before. ^^

I can't say this new dub is anywhere near as hilarious and lively as the old DiC dub. I just recently got through the Nurse Venus episode, and it was far more hilarious in English back then (I was practically quoting the old dub word for word as I was watching it); the Viz dub just didn't have me cracking up the way the DiC dub did (heck, Chibi-Usa's "waaaaaaaaah!" when Venus broke the window and the wind came blasting in was a choice comedy moment the Viz dub actually skipped out on).

I know Viz is following a far more accurate translation (other than making slight changes like Venus mentioning she had to go to the bathroom following the defeat of the syringe monster in that same episode, which she didn't in Japanese), but it's just not making me laugh as often as I used to.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
It's weird it seems like growing up in the 90s, everyone complained about how Terri Hawkes' Serena sounded like yodeling and complained about all the valleygirl slang and you weren't a real Sailor Moon fan if you ever said anything nice about the DiC dub cast. Now that the Viz dub is giving fans what they want with an accurate uncut dub, suddenly it's hip to bash the faithful version and complain about how the original butchered version is the best version. I wish Moonies would make up their mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3