• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiss Him, Not Me Anime's Visual Previews Character Designs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Looks really good...

Although every time I read the premise, I can't help but to think this show as a over-the-top parody of common shojo tropes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
There's a possibility that the four boys could end up having yaoi relations between one another? Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Oh nice! The designs look great. And she is adorable.
himeko7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Looks really good...

Although every time I read the premise, I can't help but to think this show as a over-the-top parody of common shojo tropes.

It is, but it's SO FUNNY!! I've read the manga, and it caters to both shojo and fujoshi fans~ Anime hyper
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Looking good! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh, to see the characters move and watch Kae go fujoshi mode. <333
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
I like this manga, however, I can see a lot of viewers having a hard time dealing with the fact that spoiler[none of the boys pay any attention to Kae until she loses the weight, and even later on, when Kae regains the weight after stuffing herself with failed chocolate sculptures, one of them acknowledges that he only likes her when she is thin.]

I mentioned the premise to a fellow fujoshi friend and she was absolutely disgusted by the premise. So, to each their own, I guess.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Also, I can understand why people can get offended by the premise, but being attracted to those who are in better shape has been programmed into all of us by evolution and is just part and parcel of being human. Sure, personality is just as important, if not more so, than looks. But before you can get to know someone, you only have their appearance to go off of.

Last edited by Actar on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
I think it funny to have people saying "looks good" when all I see are three guys with terminal split ends or something (messy hair). Whatever happened to "product"?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Also, I can understand why people can get offended by the premise, but being attracted to those who are in better shape has been programmed into all of us by evolution and is just part and parcel of being human.

I think the problem that some people have with the story is that it, like many others, revolve around the girl having to change some aspect of herself to fit into what mainstream society believes is attractive in order for others to be romantically interested in her.

Some people are ok with anime and manga stories as fantasies while others feel that they're representative of real life. If you're the latter and are easily perturbed by this double standard, this is not the anime/manga for you.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I think the problem that some people have with the story is that it, like many others, revolve around the girl having to change some aspect of herself to fit into what mainstream society believes is attractive in order for others to be romantically interested in her.

Is it "mainstream society"? Or is it "natural"? Is attractiveness a human construct? Or something that is programmed into us by evolution? In the end, that is where the main contention lies.

As I mentioned above, humans judge using their eyes. They take shortcuts and make assumptions about the world around them, including the appearances of other human beings. This is a method the brain uses to cope with all the information around it. Just like how wearing sloppy attire during a job interview can make you come across as lazy and disorganized, being overweight can signal to others that you're unhealthy (bad for reproduction) and are not able to manage your diet (poor self-control/decision making). Note that this applies to BOTH men and women. It's not always the case, but that's what assumptions are all about.

Can their personality shine through? Of course. But that's only after you get past first impressions - something that is not as easy as one thinks.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Also, I can understand why people can get offended by the premise, but being attracted to those who are in better shape has been programmed into all of us by evolution and is just part and parcel of being human.

Cool story, but that's 1,000% untrue. Beauty standards have changed over time. Curvy women used to be considered more beautiful, for example. And there are lots of 'overweight' people that are in better shape than a ton of thin people.

It is all societal. There's nothing 'evolution' about it, and it's frankly disgusting to excuse fatphobia, a legitimate issue, as that.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Cool story, but that's 1,000% untrue. Beauty standards have changed over time. Curvy women used to be considered more beautiful, for example. And there are lots of 'overweight' people that are in better shape than a ton of thin people.

It is all societal. There's nothing 'evolution' about it, and it's frankly disgusting to excuse fatphobia, a legitimate issue, as that.

Firstly, you do know that there's a difference between "curvy" and "obese", right? Not to mention, those standards of beauty still revolve around health. Curvy is considered healthy in some cultures (West Africa/South Pacific) because of food shortages or malnutrition being a more prevalent thing.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
As I mentioned above, humans judge using their eyes...

I'm not arguing against this. What I'm saying is that the reason many people, most of whom are women, may take issue with this story is because it's only the 1000th entry into the "woman changes self to become sexually appealing to opposite gender & suitors follow" genre.

Here's what I want from those who have read far more manga that I - Why isn't there a "Man changes self to become sexually appealing to opposite gender & suitors follow". I can think of a couple BL books where the guy does something to make his male crush fall for him, but I can't think of any where the guy loses weight or gets plastic surgery...
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
While I can't really say I'm a fan of this series, I still keep up with the manga and it has some good laughs. It helps that I don't take the harem aspect of the story that seriously. So strangely enough I'm looking forward to how the anime is going to go.

The designs look fine, but I thought Kae's eyes were black/dark blue not green. Huh.

Cutiebunny wrote:

Some people are ok with anime and manga stories as fantasies while others feel that they're representative of real life. If you're the latter and are easily perturbed by this double standard, this is not the anime/manga for you.

That's part of the reason why even though I enjoy the manga to an extent, I can't root for any of the boys. The other part is that I see zero chemistry between the Kae and any of them.

Manga is meant to be fantastic escapism, which is why I can accept the main girl losing weight so (amusingly) fast and a lot of other fun, silly shoujos. But it's difficult to root for members of a harem when the only reason they exist is because the focus got more attractive.

There's some moments where the boys do things they normally wouldn't, but they do anyway for Kae. Why her, though? Because she's pretty and nice to them, and they want to get on her good side. That's it. Her kindness to them isn't even noteworthy- she's nice to everyone and she's just as nice as she was when she was fat.

Their attraction and efforts just feel hollow because the four of them don't genuinely enjoy what she loves- otaku culture. At best they tolerate it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

Manga is meant to be fantastic escapism, which is why I can accept the main girl losing weight so (amusingly) fast

She went to Subway Laughing

"What the 'Perfect' Female Body Looks Like Around the World" (PHOTOS)
http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_living/189285/what_the_perfect_female_body

Examples:

• China - China's submission was the thinnest, estimated at about 102 pounds, which, at 5'4", researchers note qualifies as anorexic

• Philippines - Researchers found a lady with the ideal body type out of the Philippines would weigh about 128 pounds.

• Italy - Italy submitted the second thinnest figure of the group. This woman would weigh 108 pounds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2