• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rage of Bahamut Developer Cygames Establishes Anime Company

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is why Manarina friends isn't coming out? Wonder if the same will happen with Mappa. Really happy to see a new In-house studio formed instead of studios all following the A-1 path of freelancing everything
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
This makes it all the more likely that Umamusume Pretty Derby will become an anime and not just an ad for a game.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
This makes it all the more likely that Umamusume Pretty Derby will become an anime and not just an ad for a game.
That PV maded by P.A. Works, by the way.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I want an Umamusame Pretty Derby Anime SOOOO BAD that PV was like sugar for my eyes I freaking Loved It. Very Happy
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Dop.L wrote:
That PV maded by P.A. Works, by the way.

Yeah, but with this news, I'd imagine they'd do it 'in house'.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
I'm guessing this is why Manarina friends isn't coming out?

Seems more likely they're shifting production to in-house since the series hasn't technically been canceled.

Quote:
Wonder if the same will happen with Mappa.

Doesn't seem likely. Manaria Friends was likely still early in production when all of this was happening, we're only just finding out about it now. MAPPA is safer since Virgin Soul is a sequel and uses animation styles and techniques that not just any studio can do right. Screw it up and the fans could turn on them quickly. I wouldn't expect MAPPA to be involved in other projects, though.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Doesn't seem likely. Manaria Friends was likely still early in production when all of this was happening, we're only just finding out about it now. MAPPA is safer since Virgin Soul is a sequel and uses animation styles and techniques that not just any studio can do right. Screw it up and the fans could turn on them quickly. I wouldn't expect MAPPA to be involved in other projects, though.

They won't get rid of Mappa...

...at least I hope they won't.

As for Manaria Friends, good riddance. It seemed like a pointless spinoff that seemed way to close to the large amount of other high school anime.

And as for Virgin Soul, I hope Mappa continues to make more and more seasons that are up to the same standard.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
But will the studio be able to produce high quality work?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis was also backed by NBC Universal Entertainment (Japan), otherwise known as Comcast. Since the subsidiary is described as "wholly-owned," it doesn't sound like Comcast will be a partner. Of course compared to the anime industry, cygames is awash in money. It had net income of $30 million in fiscal 2012, the year DeNA paid $92 million for a 20% stake in cygames, valuing the company at about a half-billion dollars. In comparison the entire anime industry has revenues somewhat north of $2 billion, half of which comes from merchandise sales.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
MAPPA is safer since Virgin Soul is a sequel and uses animation styles and techniques that not just any studio can do right. Screw it up and the fans could turn on them quickly. I wouldn't expect MAPPA to be involved in other projects, though.

Yeah, I think at least for anything that continues from Bahamut Genesis they should definitely stick with MAPPA since their style is what really brought that show fully to life. The stylish and dynamic animation gave that show a lot of personality that tons of other shows don't get. They shouldn't rush to move something like that in-house.

Virgin Soul looks so damned good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1