• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Animator Expo Short Inspires TV Anime Special

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This can only be a good thing.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I'm very excited about it and have a vague idea what films might be suitable for an expansion. In my opinion, the Animator Expo was one of the best things that happened to anime recently, and I'm happy to see it's not the end yet (especially with the announcement of Yuri!!! on Ice).
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it's taken this long, tbh. More than a couple of the shorts have felt like proof of concept promos looking for someone to throw money at to make into a full film/series.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
But would 'Me! Me! Me!' be as compelling is made for public television? Cool

There were a lot of neat conceptual pieces throughout the expo that could've made for some nice series.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
inb4 neon genesis impacts
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
But would 'Me! Me! Me!' be as compelling is made for public television? Cool

There were a lot of neat conceptual pieces throughout the expo that could've made for some nice series.

I think that could be a one-and-half-hour movie, but not a full length anime series. That would over stay its welcome.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I wish that rather than adapt any particular shorts they would just make the concept of the expo into a series. Make it like Space Dandy; a free ticket for a different director each time to make whatever they want. Make it an experimental Genius Party series.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I wish that rather than adapt any particular shorts they would just make the concept of the expo into a series. Make it like Space Dandy; a free ticket for a different director each time to make whatever they want. Make it an experimental Genius Party series.

That's exactly what the Expo already is though, but without any kind of TV content restrictions. Having an equivalent of the Expo on TV is fine, I guess, but seems redundant. They could just continue it on the website in it's normal format and it wouldn't be any different to those of us outside of Japan, since our only options would be to stream the episodes online anyways.

A number of the shorts gave us just a taste of interesting worlds that are ripe for expansion into full series (Dragon Dentist, for instance), and other directors, for better or worse, used their creative freedom to make what basically amounted to a pitch reel (rather than an actual, coherent short-film) for their pet projects that they would clearly like to see picked up for a proper series or movie.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I think they meant like, having them be full episodes. Like 20 minutes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I think that could be a one-and-half-hour movie, but not a full length anime series. That would over stay its welcome.

90 minutes of "Me! Me! Me!"? How do you make a music video go on for 90 minutes?

EnigmaticSky wrote:

I would love something like that. I've always liked anthology TV series, like The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but they kind of fell out of popularity pretty early into TV's history.

I'd imagine this would be something of the anime equivalent of the What a Cartoon! Show, which was one of the few anthology series of the 90's and really let new talent show what they can do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1