• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount Pictures Streams Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
My favorite of his movies! Perfect chance to rewatch it
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
For the love of God, someone please license-rescue Kon's catalog and get it out on Blu-ray. The fact that everything from Perfect Blue to Paranoia Agent is long out-of-print is just damn criminal.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yo, this is seriously an awesome move by Paramount. This is the only finished work of Kon's I never watched, so I am excited as all hell to get a chance to finally see this.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
For the love of God, someone please license-rescue Kon's catalog and get it out on Blu-ray. The fact that everything from Perfect Blue to Paranoia Agent is long out-of-print is just damn criminal.

Hey at least we still got Paprika. Confused
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I'm still shocked Criterion hasn't released a collection of his work. If any anime director ever deserved Criterion, it was Kon.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Say it aint so! Maybe we'll get a Blu-ray release of this beauty finally!!!!
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

I'm still shocked Criterion hasn't released a collection of his work. If any anime director ever deserved Criterion, it was Kon.

I don't think Criterion has released an anime this century. Hell, his much more well-known western counterpart in David Lynch has plenty of titles that have yet to be released on BD here in the States. But hey, at least we recently got the groundbreaking masterpiece that is Hardbodies.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

What kind of licensing hell are Kon's works stuck in? Especially Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent? It's so strange that these classics have been left out in the cold when Dark Horse and Vertical have been releasing all his manga, including obscure and unfinished stuff like OPUS.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

I know it's buried so far in our anime-fan DNA that most of us have forgotten, but have you ever been curious to know where and how the "Criterion should do anime!" trope first started?
Ever wondered? You'd hide under a bed in 90's shame if you knew. Embarassed
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, are Kon's films actually not licensed? I'm pretty sure I've seen most of them show up on legal streaming sites before now. I always thought they just didn't get Blu-ray releases because the license holders are big studios that don't care about titles that would sell so poorly (by mainstream standards, at least).
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Posts Sometimes wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are Kon's films actually not licensed? I'm pretty sure I've seen most of them show up on legal streaming sites before now. I always thought they just didn't get Blu-ray releases because the license holders are big studios that don't care about titles that would sell so poorly (by mainstream standards, at least).

Sony Pictures still has the rights to Paprika and released it on Blu-ray. Allegedly, Darren Aronofsky bought the rights to Perfect Blue, but I haven't seen an official source for that. And other than that, the Millennium Actress license is probably still active with Paramount, though it hasn't been in print for years, and I have no idea what's up with Paranoia Agent, but after Geneon left, it's probably either unlicensed, or if we're lucky a rescue from Sentai. No idea what's up with Tokyo Godfathers, though Crackle is/was apparently streaming Tokyo Godfathers recently.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film is available for free in the United States only, in Japanese with English subtitles.

Easy come, easy go, as they say. At least the DVD has been in print for a long while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Posts Sometimes wrote:

Sony Pictures still has the rights to Paprika and released it on Blu-ray. Allegedly, Darren Aronofsky bought the rights to Perfect Blue, but I haven't seen an official source for that. And other than that, the Millennium Actress license is probably still active with Paramount, though it hasn't been in print for years, and I have no idea what's up with Paranoia Agent, but after Geneon left, it's probably either unlicensed, or if we're lucky a rescue from Sentai. No idea what's up with Tokyo Godfathers, though Crackle is/was apparently streaming Tokyo Godfathers recently.

Those would just be the adaptation/remake rights. He wouldn't have the license to release the film on home video. ASAIK, Perfect Blue is unlicensed, though Anime Limited recently released it on Blu-ray in the UK. It's in bad need of a license rescue since the old Manga Entertainment DVD was terrible.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

If I recall correctly Sony was on Production committee for both Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers. This means that they will probably always have the rights to it and gives them content for streaming. We are probably lucky that the movies are still in print. I wish they would give Tokyo Godfathers the BD treatment here in NA, but that may just be a pipe dream.

Millennium Actress is weird because Dreamworks picked it up and distributed it thru their Go Fish company and Dreamworks was bought by Viacom which also owns Paramount (hence Paramount distributing MA now), but that does not necessarily mean that the rights to MA transferred to Paramount (depends on the contract). And if the rights did transfer to Paramount well its still weird because its been something like 13 years on the original contract which is a fairly long time and makes me wonder if there wasn't just an extension to the contract along the way or just a new contract for only streaming rights, which would explain why we haven't seen a new pressing of MA. I would love to see MA get a dub and a BD here in NA, which would allow me to show it to some of my friends but it maybe just relegated to streaming only. Sad

Paranoia Agent had a JPN BD done in ~2011 and I think Kaze GER released a BD in 2014 (?). Given that its been almost 5 years since the JPN BD, I would have thought that a BD release should have happened by now. It seems like a no-brainer, but it could be that the Geneon-Universal merger has made it difficult to license and/or the licensing fees are high.

Perfect Blue seems to have been released everywhere in the world on BD except for here, which makes you wonder what the heck is up with that? It maybe because of its age no one thinks it would sell well enough here in NA?

Personally I would love a collection of all of Satoshi Kon's anime work in one big box with a nice book too (kind of like the Amazon exclusive of Ghibli), but yea that's probably a fantasy....sigh.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
One-Eye: Paramount does still own the film, but Warner and Warner Archive handle the bulk of their catalog titles, now. So if you want MA on Blu-Ray, make a nice request to Warner Archive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2