• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sentai has worked with Bang Zoom, so Funimation could have done the same for the OVA. However, since it is a poor upscale and no dub on the OVA, I will pass and stick with my DVD collection.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well I obviously did not have Nick's issues with Lucky Star. I found it funny enough and enjoyed the Collection Anime and OVA as well as the volumes of the Manga that BanDai published.

As to Funimation's BluRay, I'm not likely to buy as it would be a "double dip", but if it appears as a bargain at some point then I might be tempted.

Mark Gosdin
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
I caught the OVA at a convention one time, and judging by the fact there was a live action segment of Lucky Channel, I doubt it would have worked well with an English dub.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
It probably is dated at this point, and of course people have different tastes in comedy so not everyone will find it funny. But that last part is something Mr. Creamer has consistently failed to acknowledge in his reviews of comedies. Every time he finds a comedy he doesn't find funny, he declares it to not be funny. Not "it was not funny to me" but "it is not funny period", which implicitly equates his subjective opinion of the comedy (which is perfectly valid) with an objective assessment of its comedy. All I ask is that Mr. Creamer acknowledge the subjectivity of comedy by framing his finding a show unfunny as a personal opinion rather than a factual statement.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Every time he finds a comedy he doesn't find funny, he declares it to not be funny. Not "it was not funny to me" but "it is not funny period", which implicitly equates his subjective opinion of the comedy (which is perfectly valid) with an objective assessment of its comedy. All I ask is that Mr. Creamer acknowledge the subjectivity of comedy by framing his finding a show unfunny as a personal opinion rather than a factual statement.

This is something that I have seen in ANN reviews from other critics. I rarely read critics saying something along the lines of "in my opinion/to me this show..." I wonder if this is related to something Zac said in an ANN Cast. He said that he encourages the critics to do personal reviews.

I am personally not bothered anymore by the "voice of god reviews", but it is definitely in a lot of reviews in this site.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Wait, what Nichijou is a slice-of-life/cute girl doing nothing now!? I think it's pretty much the exact opposite of that, the proverbial other side of the coin. I think that's a huge weakness of this review, treating a slice-of-life like a comedy, then saying "well there no punchline" and complaining that's its not a very good comedy... maybe that's cause it isn't one... That'd be like watching an horror show and complaining that it's no a great romance movie despite having a male and female character that eventually fall in love, that's just not the point.

When I first watched it I didn't even know about Haruhi and I still enjoyed it, and I also didn't know what moe or slice-of-life show were but I knew perfectly well it wasn't a comedy.
Whomst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
It's rare to even hear someone acknowledge the existence of this show and it's not something I'd ever tell anyone to check out.
The only even remotely memorable thing about Lucky Star is the whacky opening.

Best forgotten.
Edl01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched Lucky Star about a year ago with a friend, which ended up highlighting a lot of issues with the show that the review brought up. He found it painfully unfunny and a lot of the references that used to be relevant went right over his head.

I think Lucky Star is a perfect example of a product of it's time. When it came out to many people it was unique, it was relevant and it happened perfectly capture the culture that briefly surrounded anime in the mid 2000's. A decade later pretty much all of that charm has been lost, and it's become almost inaccessible for new viewers.

Since I was there when the show felt relevant I'll always have a special place in my heart for the show. It was among the first anime I ever watched and my introduction to the Slice of Life genre that I now love. But I'd have trouble recommending it to anyone when anime as good as K-ON! also exist.

Although Lucky Channel is timeless and would likely thrive if they ever brought it back as a short.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Did you watch the same Lucky Star I did? It was one of anime's best slice-of-life comedies at the time, and it's still one of the classics for me.

The overdose of Haruhi you mention I don't remember being all that thick. Sure, it references a whole bunch of anime and manga, that's one part of Lucky Star's humor, and since Haruhi was big at the time, it gets referenced a few times, but not so much that I remember it as being all about Haruhi.

"Lucky Channel" being the best part? I didn't like it much, just repeating the same "Akira is in reality very nasty and un-cute" joke over and over. Those shopkeepers were okayish, but a little more slapstick than I like my humor.

If Lucky Star's style of humor is not your taste, just say that it isn't your taste; please don't pass that off as the absolute truth. Even boobies&underpants anime get more serious "if you like this genre, here is how it compares to others in it" reviews. This review didn't even mention Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star's closest and most famous predecessor.
Muffum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It probably is dated at this point, and of course people have different tastes in comedy so not everyone will find it funny. But that last part is something Mr. Creamer has consistently failed to acknowledge in his reviews of comedies. Every time he finds a comedy he doesn't find funny, he declares it to not be funny. Not "it was not funny to me" but "it is not funny period", which implicitly equates his subjective opinion of the comedy (which is perfectly valid) with an objective assessment of its comedy. All I ask is that Mr. Creamer acknowledge the subjectivity of comedy by framing his finding a show unfunny as a personal opinion rather than a factual statement.

A reviewer saying a point in their reviews is "only their opinion" is utterly pointless and, if anything, only hurts the strength of their argument. There is no "objective assessment" of media like this, so it's a given that any point in a review of it is the reviewer's opinion. If a reviewer goes out of their way to specify "Hey, this is only my opinion," that means either they don't have faith in their own opinion and writing to hold swaying power, or they don't have faith in their audience to realize that fact.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow Nick, tell us how you really feel about Lucky Star. Laughing

I don't disagree that Lucky Star is probably a product of its time. That time, however, was around the time I started really getting into anime, so the references still feel "fresh" to me, I guess in the way a 90s sitcom does, at least.

But I strongly disagree that Lucky Star isn't funny. In fact, it's one of the few anime where, if I feel like a good laugh, I can pop in a random episode and laugh every time. (Except the time I picked the one with Konata's mother... you all know the one)

I've felt like SOL reviews have been sort of a weakness for ANN staff for quite a while. None of the usual reviewers like them in general, so it seems like every review is "This isn't funny why do you people think this is funny" or "this was actually pretty good - for a SOL" which I'll immediately watch, because "if __ even thinks it's good, it must be!" but then I end up not liking it at all because, surprise, we just have completely different taste in comedy. It'd be really helpful to have reviews by people who "get" SOL.

Back on Lucky Star though, I'm kinda relieved to hear the blu-ray is nothing special. I'm rather fond of my LEs (oh and vol 6 Mad ) and don't really want to replace them.

Edit: And I meant to mention, I actually liked the choco-coronet scene. It seemed like something my friends and I would have a long, stupid conversation about. The opening of the first episode was probably a bad place for it, though.

Last edited by rizuchan on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I forced myself to watch this entire show back in 2007, when I was eager for a second season of Haruhi, and this looked like it could be the next best thing. At first, I dropped it after an underwhelming first episode, but so many people were going bananas over this show and how much better it got after they replaced the director that I decided to give it another shot, and stuck with it until the end.

Honestly, I really didn't notice an immediate difference in tone starting with the fifth episode. I just felt the show gradually became more lively and filled with more references to earlier (and much better) KyoAni shows. In fact, I suspect Yasuhiro Takemoto got credited for a few episodes that were actually supervised by Yamakan, since he was still credited for a couple of scripts and a storyboard after getting replaced as the director.

While I wouldn't give Lucky Star a D+ rating like Nick did, I really don't think it's all that funny or endearing, and it's certainly not something I intend to rewatch anytime soon. In my opinion, both Takemoto and Yamakan are capable of directing much better shows than this one, and they have.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Muffum wrote:

A reviewer saying a point in their reviews is "only their opinion" is utterly pointless and, if anything, only hurts the strength of their argument. There is no "objective assessment" of media like this, so it's a given that any point in a review of it is the reviewer's opinion. If a reviewer goes out of their way to specify "Hey, this is only my opinion," that means either they don't have faith in their own opinion and writing to hold swaying power, or they don't have faith in their audience to realize that fact.

I seem to recall Zac saying somewhere that he doesn't want reviewers saying "In my opinion" or the like for those very reasons. Basically, it should be understood that these are only ever that particular reviewer's opinion and never meant to be the final verdict. A show might get its own review article, and then get an entirely different one on something like Shelf Life. If they were actually presenting reviews as being objective, there would be no reason to allow more than just one review.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@Muffum Certainly it should be taken as given that it is their opinion without them saying so. However, speaking only of the highly subjective subject of comedy, I don't believe it weakens their argument. In fact not acknowledging that only opens one up to arguments of "But that's just your opinion, man". And the argument that "No but it is funny" is much stronger when the reviewer frames it as a fact and not an opinion. "It didn't make me laugh" is, I think, a stronger argument than "It isn't funny" (and the former is the framing that many of the the other reviewers use so let's not pretend that this is just how they do things here)

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Muffum wrote:
There is no "objective assessment" of media like this,

I agree with this, but
Quote:
so it's a given that any point in a review of it is the reviewer's opinion.

I do not agree with this.
I am convinced that some reviewers believe that what they say actually is an objective assessment.
I have been in enough debates about objective quality in anime that I know for a fact that some fans believe in it.

rizuchan wrote:
Back on Lucky Star though, I'm kinda relieved to hear the blu-ray is nothing special.

Me too.
Now I am not tempted to spend more money on something that I already have.
I have mixed feelings about the OVA not being dubbed. I am glad because it saves me money, but I am sad because the lack of a dub is the only thing that I do not like about the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7