• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tiger Mask W Wrestling Anime Reveals Voice Cast's Roles, October Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for this, as well as the second season of Iron-Blooded Orphans. :D
Shouryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Very skeptical it will amount to anything when they can't even keep the promotional arts and pv on model.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, it's Rainmaker!
pauladls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Thats rukia
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
We need a trailer showcasing the voice actresses and voice actors for their respective characters. Evil or Very Mad This is one of the few shows that will be able to hold me over until Super Lovers season 2 makes its debut.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised Tanahashi & Okada aren't playing themselves.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get a streaming version of this anime soon like on CR. I always wanted to check out the original Tiger Mask anime, but there is no English subs for it. Maybe if the new anime is popular, Discotek can release the original show on DVD in the US.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh Lord, I hope you're right, Spawn. It and Kyojin no Hoshi are two shows that are seminal classics that need English releases. Discotek's work with both Toei and TMS gives me hope for both shows; honestly-speaking, I feel like it's more of a question of "when" rather than "if," though that "when" may be pretty far off.

Anyway, this anime sounds like a blast. If there was a way to re-tool Tiger Mask for the modern day, this sounds like the way to do it. It even stars real-life pro wrestlers as major characters like the original show. I'll definitely keep my eyes on this.

Shouryu wrote:
Very skeptical it will amount to anything when they can't even keep the promotional arts and pv on model.

I don't really see anything off-model in any of the promotional materials; they all look consistent from one instance to the next. Anyhow, if this show foregoes key animation for the sake of mimicking the original Tiger Mask's animation style, then I'm all for it. That show achieves artistry I haven't seen much anywhere else by having character models squash and stretch all over the place in action scenes. I'm sure it was due to budget necessity, but it produced a work of art. I'm not much of a raw-watcher, but I love to throw on an episode of Tiger Mask just because the visual language in that show is so powerful. Watch a handful episodes (including the final one) to see what I mean.

Too much of a focus on key animation is killing anime. I loved Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F, but it wasn't for the fight scenes, that's for sure. They spent too much money on hiring key animators out the ass rather than hiring folks that can animate.

Eivion wrote:
Kind of surprised Tanahashi & Okada aren't playing themselves.

I was, too, but I don't think Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki played themselves in the original, either. Wrasslemen tend to lead pretty busy lives, anyway.

Sobe wrote:
We need a trailer showcasing the voice actresses and voice actors for their respective characters. Evil or Very Mad This is one of the few shows that will be able to hold me over until Super Lovers season 2 makes its debut.

Thirsty?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
I hope CR gets this series. I wonder if the decision to do a remake was done in part with the franchise getting somewhat of a renewed interest from the "Tiger Mask" donation phenomenon during the Christmas 2010 season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1