• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Thunderbolt Offered on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
One imagines this will dampen the prospects of a more modestly-priced disc release. This being so, let us hope the third and fourth episode are eventually released for streaming in the same fashion as the first two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Is this the beginning of every show getting the 4K treatment? Will I have to upgrade to a 4K tv soon Sad

Anime isn't like film. If it wasn't actually made in 4k, there isn't really much gain in them upscaling it on their end. Not to say they won't do it...
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Is this the beginning of every show getting the 4K treatment? Will I have to upgrade to a 4K tv soon Sad

Unless you have a UHD player, you'll need one if those, too. Regular blu-ray players won't play them.

Yeah, if only there was some kind of PlayStation product that allowed us and Japanese consumers to access such content... some kind of premium version that would be perfect for 4K adopters...

Sadly there isn't... Confused
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
silentjay wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Unless you have a UHD player, you'll need one if those, too. Regular blu-ray players won't play them.

Yeah, if only there was some kind of PlayStation product that allowed us and Japanese consumers to access such content... some kind of premium version that would be perfect for 4K adopters...

Sadly there isn't... Confused
Could always get the Xbox One S and use it as a fancy UHD player.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Does this mean they're going to start re-releasing all Gundam series in 4K? If so, I' glad I didn't buy them yet. I still have my DVD's. I just wish they'd have started with something else. I found Thunderbolt to be quite boring and annoying too.
Considering I wasn't planning to upgrade to a 4K HDR TV anytime soon, I grabbed Build Fighters on Blu-Ray so I could introduce my stepsisters to anime. However, with the announcement of this and gaming making a much bigger push into 4K HDR, I think I'm gonna have to pick up a new TV sooner rather than later. Thunderbolt will probably look amazing.

No doubt it looks good but those jazz tunes make me cringe and therefore I couldn't finish it. I'm not a fan of jazz music and there aren't many tunes in that genre I like, but what is played in the movie is not among what passes for me. I just hope this is an indication of other Gundams getting 4K releases..
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Sure wish our 4K was an actual 4K TV. Only supports 4K at 30hz, what's the point of that?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
CRAP! I won't be able buy this thing because it's on this stupidly rare player format.
Mad
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

And if you use a receiver as a passthrough for audio, I think you'll need to replace it too.

Also, is this from a native 4K master?
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Sure wish our 4K was an actual 4K TV. Only supports 4K at 30hz, what's the point of that?

So it is a 4K TV then. And "what's the point" is a question you need to ask yourself. Most movies and TV shows are 24fps or 30fps. If you were looking to play PC games on it, then, yes, it would be a poor investment. What do you want to use it for?

With my most recent upgrade, I went for a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0, so it can display native 60Hz, but I run it at 24Hz because everything I watch on it is anime or some movies, 99% of which are 24fps anyway, so it's in its native framerate. (Also, my PC has just about the lowest-end graphics card with HDMI 2.0 anyway, so it tends to lag when I use a high-quality video renderer (madVR) in exclusive fullscreen mode at 60Hz anyway. I'll upgrade it some day, but for now my setup fully meets my needs since there's no >30Hz content I want to play on 4K.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! It'll be good to finally have a 4K anime disc.

Also looks like it'll have 4K HDR test clips of a few others.

Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
silentjay wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

And if you use a receiver as a passthrough for audio, I think you'll need to replace it too.

Also, is this from a native 4K master?

The good news is that some of the players fortunately have a second audio-out HDMI port for getting around an old receiver while still getting HD audio.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
Well this might be the beginning of OVA's and quite possibly Anime films made in 4K Ultra HD however it will only happen if there are enough people interested in 4K. Confused
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Pointless, probably upscaled. (If native 4k, that's nice. But the vast majority of anime will never be even close)Probably still DNR'd on the ones that were originally on film.

Just imagine the extra price premium Surnise is gonna heckle out of this. Or if they released series on UHDBD

Very few of the existing Gundam Film Scans actually look like they'd be worth a 4k release.Even then, HDR is pretty pointless, because this is animation and you don't need HDR to be able to reproduce the color palette they actually used when making the shows. Making it even more oversaturated and adding artificial luminosity just seems wrong.

HDR, while a worthwhile upgrade.(just not for anime that have already been made). HDR should've been a 1080p TV Upgrade, because that's the real difference maker of 2k to 4kHDR. It's HDR, not the resolution. (And HDR is still in it's infancy, there isn't one singular gold standard that everyone produces content in or that every TV uses. And then for games, there's the additional extra processing latency. Just what we need. Even more input lag! Thankfully not all HDR sets add a significant amount)

4k is useless for anything not made or scanned in 4k and even if consoles could render at native 4k without CBR. 4k still needs good Anti Aliasing, and consoles have that almost never. (Meanwhile PS4p could provide 1080p with good AA finally and CBR with upscaling to 4k will have even more artifacts)

The inudstry, content and consoles are not anywhere near 4k ready. Upscaling in current commercial products(TVs,BDPs) and in processes used for anime releases are not good.
It's already bad enough when a lot of Anime BD's are horribly upscaled as is to 2k resolution.

This is all really the fault of the desperate TV industry. Consumer CRTs were around for decades before they started adding digital features to them. And since CRTs weren't fixed resolution, scaling was nary an issue. Some sets could resolve detail from a higher line count. But nothing like the money grubbing crap that is being pushed today. (Ironically enough Sony doesn't even want to give UHDBD a bigger chance at success with the omission from PS4p)

You can't even buy a high quality 1080p TV set anymore. It's all been relegated to budget models. Imagine if you could buy a high quality 1080p set that supported HDR and accepted 4kHDR signals(And downsampled them, which wouldn't lose you any picture quality. It'd actually increase it). You could get 1080pHDR gaming, and 4kHDR video content. Honestly the best of both worlds. It's not an impossible thing either, they could make it happen if they really wanted.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
what do you know..

there's 4K anime after all.. i'm guessing this is "upscaled" 4K here..

unless the original show was in native 4K to begin with..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2