• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Translation? No, you can't easily speed that up. But you could easily add another layer of error-checking. That's as simple as hiring another person (or persons) who check the subtitles in parallel with whomever is currently doing the job. Yes, it would cost more money to hire people for that job, but it wouldn't take any more time in the production schedule.

Wait, you think that adding an extra layer of error-checking and having extra humans coordinate doesn't add time to a schedule? Fred Brooks needs to teach you a thing or two. Hiring more people and having them have to coordinate (and come to an agreement when they disagree about the best translation) would absolutely affect the production schedule, at least if you wanted the extra person to actually have an effect instead of being a warm body that said nothing.

I'm a big believer in copy-editing, but pretending that adds *zero* time to a schedule is absurd enough that if someone presented it as being from my side in the debate I'd accuse it of being a strawman.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money.

Completely and absolutely WRONG. 99% of people watching don't CARE about minor mistakes, and won't notice large mistranslations unless they skeap the language. Most people who "offer corrections" have no clue what they are talking about and only think the line was translated wrong basen on a word they may or may not know. Nobody sane is going to stop watching simulcast just because of typos and a few errors. Hell, fansubs used to have errors FAR greater then this, and people still downloaded.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
To my memory the translation has never been so bad I couldn't understand a show so I have no complaints. I spot the odd typo or weird turn of phrase but it's not really that big of a deal. I pay nine bucks a month to watch hundreds of shows almost as soon as they air. I'm not going to complain because they sometimes use the wrong "there/their/they're."
If it was on the DVDs though, THEN I would be upset.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Fansubs have taught us that fans will always go for the cheapest (free) option so long as it's also the fastest. They don't care about quality. They'll even defend the complete inaccuracy not fully understanding the nature of the language or its translation.

The quality people are those who are removed from the competition and can make their armchair criticisms after the fact.

The quality people are the people who go on to actually know enough Japanese to say, "Hmm, that's one way to translate it for a certain audience, and I understand the time pressure, but I would have done this instead." Or "It's really frustrating that you can't easily capture all the nuance in the Japanese and still have it sounds like natural English, but we would have maybe made a different trade off." Quite often "Boy it's annoying when there are loan words from English with different meanings in Japanese, as people will complain no matter what you do." Sometimes "It's frustrating that they didn't do the research on proper styles and forms of address for European nobility in English for Izetta, or common American English terms for the sport for this sports anime, but that has to be difficult with time pressure, especially since the Japanese licensor certainly couldn't help." There are some things that copy-editing would catch, but it's tough pressure when people want it out in hours and sometimes shows are delayed (and the US simulcast isn't the first priority of the original Japanese rights holders.)
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Boy if they just had to update a single torrent wouldn't that be simpler.

Torrents don't usually generate enough advertising revenue to support a business. Unless consumers are going to pay more and wait longer for the product, torrents are not a preferred distribution method for profit.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Fast, cheap, reliable -- pick two.
If you saw through my posts, my answer would be fast an reliable, hire competent people and to just let some titles go to other competitors so you don't make an idiot out've yourself to make these potential mistakes. Let the other company take it and let them possibly make an idiot out've themselves when making typos or translations in simulcasting. I'ts not that hard. And what do you know? CR made a false advertisement of their quality by basically doing absolutely nothing.

DmonHiro wrote:
Completely and absolutely WRONG. 99% of people watching don't CARE about minor mistakes, and won't notice large mistranslations unless they skeap the language. Most people who "offer corrections" have no clue what they are talking about and only think the line was translated wrong basen on a word they may or may not know. Nobody sane is going to stop watching simulcast just because of typos and a few errors. Hell, fansubs used to have errors FAR greater then this, and people still downloaded.

You know fansubbers have been hired by professional companies so they have some or huge semblance of knowledge about what they are talking about and how they perform? And bloggers too that mention their work? I just wanted to see that you understand that and have some form of common sense or, "sanity." If you will. yes they may sound more aggressive. But put yourself in their shoes when some passionate ones have studied and practiced this out in the field ala fandubbers. The same thing I did when being an apologist just like everyone else on these issues of quality. You get points deducted on scheduled projects in class and your lesson in losing such points is to improve. Not say, "eh, what can you do?" Its inexcusable and that would not only cost you your GPA but your job out in the real world. You find ways to counter it. And thats what simulcasts need to find.
slau783

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
One other question might be why aren't simulcast subs corrected for home video release?

You can see the appeal for distributors to use an existing subtitle script, but that's the perfect time to proofread and correct. But so often I see mistakes that I saw when streaming. Madman used Crunchyroll's subs for their Nichijou release, and there was an extra scene in one episode compared to the streaming versions. They just didn't bother subtitling it. For their Rock Lee release they even used the same font as Crunchyroll.

Another example is Sentai's Glasslip release which has the eye-opening “Taniguchi did the 10,000 metre dash in 39 seconds” I remember scratching my head at the CR streams at an athlete running at three quarters the speed of sound, but I would have thought someone would fix that for home video, but no...

This is what bothers me. I can absolutely understand that simulcasts are on a very tight schedule and mistakes are made. But when I pay good money for a disc release, like with Aniplex releases, it is quite annoying to see mistakes. Missing subtitle lines are quite bad, but thankfully are very rare. The most common things I see are spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes. Sure they have a deadline to meet still, but there should be enough time for some decent quality checking. Which I know does not even happen sometimes as I have seen MB's release of Super Robot Wars, in which the audio and video are not even synchronized for a couple episodes.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
So they'd have to hire a QA team? Sounds rough man.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
If they hired more people, then workflow could possibly balance out.

There's a concept in Business that I can't remember the name of, but essentially it boils down to too many people working on similar projects only complies errors. You can have X number of farmland and Y number of workers but at a certain point increasing Y without a change in X causes the workers to get in each others way and make you less efficient as a result.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I've never noticed any subtitle mistakes on the anime I've watched on Crunchyroll. Guess I'm just too busy watching the episode to really notice any subtitle mistakes.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
For some reason, I've never noticed any subtitle mistakes on the anime I've watched on Crunchyroll. Guess I'm just too busy watching the episode to really notice any subtitle mistakes.
Are you realizing how dumb you're making yourself sound? lol
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
Are you realizing how dumb you're making yourself sound? lol

Uh, no, that's the experience of a lot of viewers, actually - in fact, probably the majority, if not the vast majority. So basically you're insulting the bulk of the viewership by saying that someone who doesn't get nitpicky over subtitles is dumb.

Frankly, I don't get bothered by subtitle errors in simulcasts unless they're really egregious, like a line missing, badly out of sync, an incorrect character being referred to, or a number so far off that it makes no sense for the context. (Sadly, the latter error has crept into numerous physically released series over the years.) I do, however, get much pickier about minor errors in DVD/Blu-Ray releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So basically you're insulting the bulk of the viewership by saying that someone who doesn't get nitpicky over subtitles is dumb.

And it is not just a matter of how picky we are. Sometimes we just do not notice mistakes, and it is not because we are dumb.

We can usually get enough meaning from context, such as what was said before and what we see in the animation, that we do not need to read every word in the subtitles. It is possible to just quickly skim over them and pick out the key words. Unless something is obviously not right it is easy to not notice mistakes.
Also, for many people the mind is capable of correcting errors subconsciously if we know what it should be. I often miss spelling errors when I proofread my own work because I know what it is supposed to be and just do not notice the mistake, which can be rather embarrassing.

I know that the DVD release of the first season of Koihime Musou had some obvious errors that I did not notice until the second time that I watched the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I must be the luckiest person in the world because I have never come across horrible simulcast subtitles. And even if I found bigger mistakes, they are not a big issue for my watching experience. And as a collector I know that subtitles in discs are usually accurate and of good quality.

How is your Japanese? I mean I would have a hard time calling simulcast subs or speed subs horrible because of a few typos, spelling errors, or missing punctuation. If we're just looking at those, I'm not sure I've seen one I would deem horrible either. Now if we're talking botched translation of lines, I don't think it takes many to downgrade it to horrible, and I've definitely seen some. However, most people aren't going to catch those issues.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
CR doesn't always do the subs themself though, for some series depending on who's the publisher, they'll get a eng sub to use instead. It's mainly those that have mistakes. *cough* aniplex has been having weird and stupid errors lately.
Yeah, Aniplex shows especially suffer, nearly everything since Saekano has suffered. Like look at Occultic;Nine, holy crap at how bad those subs are, to the point almost nobody can understand the show and it's getting trashed.
https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/789989559119392769
http://www.crymore.net/2016/10/16/crunchyrolls-occulticnine-sucks-episode-01-review/#script_quality

May Aniplex wonder one reason why the show's not streaming well, and then it won't receive a physical release from them ever, just like Classroom Crisis, Day Break Illusion, Gunslinger Stratos, Mekakucity Actors, Mushishi: Next Passage, Nanana's Buried Treasure, Samurai Flamenco, and Togainu no Chi (all of which will never receive a physical release from them), and the subs will never get fixed whatsoever.

For anyone else wondering about simulcast subs, I've got more examples in this blog post on MAL (I've also got some disc releases on there too) I maintain for the purpose of showing people official subs can mess up, and that translations really matter.
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=786748
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7