Forum - View topic
NEWS: PS4 Save Editor Software Allows Editing of Game Save Files


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
With this, beating Nioh will be smooth sailing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hikarunu



Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 950
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
I hope the users will backup their save data first because the possibility the data will corrupt is still exist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1128
Location: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping anyone who uses it gets their PSN account banned, and if possible, their PS4 bricked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kevelinu



Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I'm hoping anyone who uses it gets their PSN account banned, and if possible, their PS4 bricked.

Well I can understand that this is shit if people use this to cheat for multiplayer games or something.
But my first reaction was "nice, now I can finally "experience" more in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3". In that game, to get to the more interesting parts, you basically have to do endless stupid grinding. I am not wasting my time with that.
So editing my save file for a SINGLE player experience surely wouldn't harm anybody.
Actually even kinda benificial to the game developer, if I actually enjoy the game more I might wanna look into future releases.

Anyway, I expected a TOOL like this to cost a few bucks, but when I saw the pricetag I thought they are completely nuts. How can they charge the same as a full price title for a TOOL..?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sakurazuka_Reika



Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Malta
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:
editing my save file for a SINGLE player experience surely wouldn't harm anybody.


Agreed. As long as it does not interfere with any multiplayer games (and people are willing to pay for it, wow), I don't see this as a problem.

Personally, whenever I use cheats it sort of "ruins" the game for me, I don't get any satisfaction from it so I'll be keeping away from this. Would be interesting to see which games you can edit though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2709
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if Sony will let this be. A few reasons;

Trophies. Don't have a PS4(yet) but I assume those apply to single-player games as well. This would throw that system into disarray unless they are able to work around it somehow.

Content. At least for PS3 games often had locked content already included that could later be unlocked through purchased dlc. And when we remember extra levels, armor, items etc that could often also be purchased as dlc, publishers will NOT like this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SageModeKakarot



Joined: 15 Dec 2014
Posts: 302
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
so in other words, it's a cheat device, thanks but no thanks

if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bassgs435



Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 215
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
What I wonder is why ANN staff thinks this is worth posting here as news. It's like making news of some piracy method. As the users in this thread before me have explained, this is obviously a tool Sony would never approve of. So it's illegal. Given ANN doesn't cover shows unless they're on official streaming sites, it surprises me news of an illegal device to cheat in videogames would be posted in this site
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaitoHajime101



Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 264
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I have to wonder if Sony will let this be. A few reasons;

Trophies. Don't have a PS4(yet) but I assume those apply to single-player games as well. This would throw that system into disarray unless they are able to work around it somehow.

Content. At least for PS3 games often had locked content already included that could later be unlocked through purchased dlc. And when we remember extra levels, armor, items etc that could often also be purchased as dlc, publishers will NOT like this.


The only way Sony would let this be is if they had a hand in the development. I can imagine there being a software check upon a game launch to verify modded save files. For example, this save editor creates a code foot print in the header or something that says "I modded this file" and then Sony creates a checker in the launch sequence that identifies when that particular file loads and will display a message to the player stating something like "Due to the loading of a modded save file, trophies will be disabled temporarily".

The DLC content will go through a similar checker, however it would just determine what was a purchased content versus not and disable anything that doesn't have "purchased" foot print.

From a personal stand point, even if I wanted to use this software, I wouldn't pay approximately $69 for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Running Wild





PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
so in other words, it's a cheat device, thanks but no thanks

if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it


Don't act like you never experimented with a Game Genie or Game Shark when you were a kid.

They make games even more fun!

Like I'd play Final Fantasy 8 and have Laguna, Kiros and Ward always in my party!
Back to top
SageModeKakarot



Joined: 15 Dec 2014
Posts: 302
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
so in other words, it's a cheat device, thanks but no thanks

if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it


Don't act like you never experimented with a Game Genie or Game Shark when you were a kid.

They make games even more fun!

Like I'd play Final Fantasy 8 and have Laguna, Kiros and Ward always in my party!


actually i didn't, i had no spare cash to spend on anything as frivolous as a cheat device, if i saved my money it was for a game, for me it was about 3 games a year one for my birthday, one for xmas and one that i saved for

so i will act like i never used one because i never did
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yurihellsing



Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 512
Location: -=Sunderland UK=-
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
oh haha paying for this kinda thing in 2017 is kinda pathetic really cheats should be built in and in some cases unlocked upon 100% completion. Then again we are dealing with the xbox live generation whose obsession with stats ruined everything. Cheats can add life to a game that you're done with or at least keep people interested in a title for long enough for it to be modded to death.

Last edited by yurihellsing on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7500
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
It wasn't till playing Borderlands (or was it 2?) on PS3 online that I found out that PlayStation saves were modifiable, when someone dropped a clearly impossible item. I later had to download and use a save editor for that game due to a bugged mission that "infected" your save after playing online.
For the PS4 my understanding is that the saves are encrypted making this sort of homebrew editing impossible, so how this gets around that I don't know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wohdin



Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
Running Wild wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
so in other words, it's a cheat device, thanks but no thanks

if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it


Don't act like you never experimented with a Game Genie or Game Shark when you were a kid.

They make games even more fun!

Like I'd play Final Fantasy 8 and have Laguna, Kiros and Ward always in my party!


actually i didn't, i had no spare cash to spend on anything as frivolous as a cheat device, if i saved my money it was for a game, for me it was about 3 games a year one for my birthday, one for xmas and one that i saved for

so i will act like i never used one because i never did

wow, the self-righteousness isd scathing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SageModeKakarot



Joined: 15 Dec 2014
Posts: 302
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
wow, the self-righteousness isd scathing!


i'm not being self righteous,i just don't like being called a liar especially by people who have never met me and don't know me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group