• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amalgam of Distortion, Demon's Plan Manga End in Shonen Jump on Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Never had a chance to read Amalgam of Distortion, but Demon's Plan's Jump Start began in the very first issue of my subscription. I thought it had potential based on the first three chapters, so I hate to see it end before it had time to do much.

At least we're getting some new series to fill the void. We Can't Learn and U19 seem to have potential. I'm curious to see if they'll manage to last, and where they'll go from here.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do you think Ole Golazo will lose steam? I haven't read that much of it, but I like the premise, that a champion in a sport gets talked into joining up on a team for a completely different sport. The marketing for it makes it sound like the most generic soccer series ever though. Have the ratings for Ole Golazo been low?

It's been ranking pretty low on the Weekly Rankings (usually in the Bottom 2/3), so I'm afraid it might be heading for a similar fate.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Never had a chance to read Amalgam of Distortion, but Demon's Plan's Jump Start began in the very first issue of my subscription. I thought it had potential based on the first three chapters, so I hate to see it end before it had time to do much.

At least we're getting some new series to fill the void. We Can't Learn and U19 seem to have potential. I'm curious to see if they'll manage to last, and where they'll go from here.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do you think Ole Golazo will lose steam? I haven't read that much of it, but I like the premise, that a champion in a sport gets talked into joining up on a team for a completely different sport. The marketing for it makes it sound like the most generic soccer series ever though. Have the ratings for Ole Golazo been low?

It's been ranking pretty low on the Weekly Rankings (usually in the Bottom 2/3), so I'm afraid it might be heading for a similar fate.

Hmm, bummer. I like Ole Golazo, but that's because I like stories of talented people who have to learn to use their talents for something else.

I've subscribed to Viz's Shonen Jump ever since the third printed issue. Though it didn't happen until recently, of the new series that get published but quickly canceled, something I keep seeing is the author having an interesting premise, but it's a bare hook without any meat. It either soon turns into something less appealing (Hi-Fi Cluster), it plays itself painfully straight as a shonen (Gun Blaze West) or it ultimately goes nowhere with no progression in the characters or their motivations (Takama-ga-hara--episodic comedy series are exempt from this).

It comes across to me as a self-fulfilling prophecy: Authors write Weekly Shonen Jump series with the expectation that they will be quickly axed, and so they write these stories under the idea they'll be getting a ten-week notice. But because they write these expecting to fail, they will likely fail. When you have a series like Barrage or Red Sprite that WERE written as if they'd be long, sprawling journeys, and they're suddenly put to an end, it is quite jarring to read.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, bummer. I like Ole Golazo, but that's because I like stories of talented people who have to learn to use their talents for something else.

I liked what I read of Ole too. But if there's one thing Demon's Plan taught me, it's that I'm not following any series past their Jump Start unless they're doing well in the rankings.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
It comes across to me as a self-fulfilling prophecy: Authors write Weekly Shonen Jump series with the expectation that they will be quickly axed, and so they write these stories under the idea they'll be getting a ten-week notice. But because they write these expecting to fail, they will likely fail. When you have a series like Barrage or Red Sprite that WERE written as if they'd be long, sprawling journeys, and they're suddenly put to an end, it is quite jarring to read.

I've noticed that as well. You can't give everything you have away in the first chapter, but you can't expect the luxury of a long run either. You need a story that is flexible and can be stretched or retracted when asked. Honestly, seeing how fickle the shonen industry is gives me a greater respect for the series that manage to thrive in spite of these conditions. You have to have a strong start, be able to at least maintain that level of quality, and have something exciting enough happen each week to keep your ranking out of the danger zone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2