• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Gosick English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow they got a few out of towners for this dub. Really surprised to see Erica Mendez and Lucien Dodge.
RoamFree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Having heard Apphia Yu as Lady Mikuni in Shangri-La, I'm confident she'll bring the regal
properness along with the deadpan snark and wide-eyed innocence to the role, and do justice to Aoi Yuki's great performance of the Gothic Doll Detective.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
RoamFree wrote:
Having heard Apphia Yu as Lady Mikuni in Shangri-La, I'm confident she'll bring the regal
properness along with the deadpan snark and wide-eyed innocence to the role, and do justice to Aoi Yuki's great performance of the Gothic Doll Detective.

I just watched Shangri-la not too long ago, so casting Apphia came as no surprise.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Goddamn, this cast is FULL of good talent. I hope Erica and Lucien can do more Funimation roles (they can work it out; they're partners). Same for Kasi Hollowell, Rachel Thompson, Britthey Lauda and Amanda Lee.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
okay this is good but could they also do nichijou
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:

The problem with dubbing Nichijou is that there are some puns in Japanese that would be hard to translate into english to keep the joke relevant. (Example the yakisoba and yakisaba mishap) I would love a dub too, but it'll be hard to convey the jokes properly.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ts nice to see some actual variety in the leading role department but I haven't found Matt Shipman to be that noteworthy of actor so far but hopefully he'll rise to the challenge. I do like Apphia Yu as an actress in a causal manner but she's never been a powerhouse performer in my opinion. I feel she's either going to turn in an average performance at best or possibly this may finally be her moment to shine in a far more prominent role only time will tell.I haven't been impressed with Clifford Chapin's work as an ADR Director in the past while not a terrible voice director by any means his work doesn't stand out to me it usually borders on the average side.Its nice to see Lucien Dodge in his debut role in a Funimation dub maybe we'll see more of him in Funimation dubbing later on in the year. The rest of the casting is pretty standard in itself. I'm curious to see how this dub turned out I'll at the very least check out the first few episodes if it shows promise then I may kill through the whole dub in time.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
sukisho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:

The problem with dubbing Nichijou is that there are some puns in Japanese that would be hard to translate into english to keep the joke relevant. (Example the yakisoba and yakisaba mishap) I would love a dub too, but it'll be hard to convey the jokes properly.

There's always a way around that though. They can adapt the jokes of other cultures and such. It's possible to get around those things.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I remember this show six years ago and just rewatched it about two years later. It was one of my favorite shows in 2011, and was surprised how much KamiMemo and Dantalian resemble it. They even aired the same year. Finally, Gosick gets the dub, hope that it will make more viewers aware of this little gem.

Thanks to this opportunity, I'll get to watch this again.

Now if they dub Nichijo, Valkyria Chronicles, Kara no Kyoukai, Skip Beats, etc would be nice.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

Skip Beats

That's been dubbed by pied Piper. they even had a kickstarter for it last year.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
That's been dubbed by pied Piper. they even had a kickstarter for it last year.

*Being dubbed to be technical Razz As a backer of that Kickstarter I've been eagerly awaiting for it to be completed as the short preview clips just aren't enough Anime hyper
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
sukisho wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:

There's always a way around that though. They can adapt the jokes of other cultures and such. It's possible to get around those things.

In nichijous case the wordplay and the actresses range is what gove the jokes their charm. There are certain points when you can tell that they went off script and just started doing whatever (case in point the end of the camping segment with Mio and Yuuko). A lot of the jokes would fall flat in emglish because they would try to recreate that energy and ot just wouldnt work. It would sounded a bit phoned in.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
sukisho wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:

Yeah. In general, Funimation has one of the better localization teams around. They do a good job of keeping the spirit of the original but making it relevant and understandable to the target audience. (See the Star Trek and Dr. Who references in Steins;Gate as a good example. Of course, J. Michael Tatum was mostly in charge of the scripts for that and he is a fairly well known SciFi geek. But replacing Otaku references with western Science Fiction Fandom references totally conveyed the meaning of what was going on in those scenes to EVERYONE in the western audience, not just people who were already familiar with Otaku culture.)
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
sukisho wrote:

Sure, and they did it in the manga pretty well.

See, Nichijou is an absurdist ensemble-cast comedy; Gosick is a thriller, an action piece. It's a good one, but it can be enjoyed with your brain off in a way that you just can't do with Nichijou, and that correlates pretty well with being OK with watching subtitles.

"More tolerant of subtitles" -> "less demanding of dubs" -> "fewer 'dub or I'm not buying' people" -> "fewer lost sales for not having a dub" -> "fewer extra sales from having a dub" -> "dub less economically justified".

[dub tracks aren't paid for by sales to people who prefer dubs, but by sales of people who won't buy without dubs. If you prefer dubs but buy sub-only if that's all you can get then the sale to you isn't affected by the dub: few anime companies are run that mercenarily -- there are better ways to make money if you're a sociopath than selling japtoons -- but the basic equation is in the back of everyone's minds as they work out how to keep their company running]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2