• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight AXIS Novel Gets Net Anime in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Eh, a more intimate story is a good thing, especially considering how poorly Unicorn tried to do the big picture stuff with all that Laplace' Box nonsense.

I don't have a problem with intimate story either since 0080 is my favorite. But some people can be disappointed and bored by intimate story due to wrong expectations. Still, Gundam: Twilight Axis (GTA?) has some fireworks for action aficionados, that much I know.

Btw, I'm okay with Laplace's Box. I think it's nice and fresh addition to UC.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Laplaces box was a silly macguffin that was incredibly underwhelming. Let's hope the MC in this anime has some agency. I couldn't stand the lead in Unicorn. Whining about moral platitudes is an obnoxious feature of some of the Gundam pilots. I prefer the more stoic pilots myself. Even slightly maniacal like Io Fleming is fine.
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
Laplace' box is not underwhelming. It reveals/uncover a new level of corruption and paranoid of the Federation government which really changes any fans' perspective on various conflicts between Feds & UC (remnants) that happened before it. It's really one of the best McGuffins in anime that actually pays some respect to many UC Gundam fans by making the McGuffin actually being relevant and plays important role in the lore of UC-verse. It could've been so much worse. I'm glad that's it's not just some device that contains magical-scientific power that can destroy or rule everything or boring things like that that so many sci-fi movies have done before.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
Laplace' box is not underwhelming. It reveals/uncover a new level of corruption and paranoid of the Federation government which really changes any fans' perspective on various conflicts between Feds & UC (remnants) that happened before it. It's really one of the best McGuffins in anime that actually pays some respect to many UC Gundam fans by making the McGuffin actually being relevant and plays important role in the lore of UC-verse. It could've been so much worse. I'm glad that's it's not just some device that contains magical-scientific power that can destroy or rule everything or boring things like that that so many sci-fi movies have done before.
The Federation's corruption has been established before. Personally, I didn't care for the reveal and I've spoken to other Gundam fans who felt the same way. It's gonna be subjective from person to person because I also know plenty of people that enjoyed the reveal like yourself. I found the Char clone to be pretty rote. On a technical level, Unicorn was gorgeous. Let's hope the same level of technical skill will be found in Twilight Axis.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Crossbone adaptation/F91 expansion] never™
spoiler[Hathaway's Flash adaptation] never
I hope this all eventually leads in to enough material to fill in a lot of the space between Char's Counterattack and Victory Gundam
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
spoiler[Crossbone adaptation/F91 expansion] never™
spoiler[Hathaway's Flash adaptation] never
I hope this all eventually leads in to enough material to fill in a lot of the space between Char's Counterattack and Victory Gundam

Isn't F91 still considered cannon? I mean, if victory is considered cannon then I don't see how 91 isn't.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Isn't F91 still considered cannon? I mean, if victory is considered cannon then I don't see how 91 isn't.
It is canon, but there's still a significant gap in between CCA and F91 (Unicorn has helped fill it), and a larger gap in between F91 and Victory. What sucks is that there is perfectly good manga and novels written that fill most of these gaps, but we continue getting adaptations of brand new material instead of the ones we've had for years.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Oby wrote:
The Federation's corruption has been established before. Personally, I didn't care for the reveal and I've spoken to other Gundam fans who felt the same way. It's gonna be subjective from person to person because I also know plenty of people that enjoyed the reveal like yourself. I found the Char clone to be pretty rote. On a technical level, Unicorn was gorgeous. Let's hope the same level of technical skill will be found in Twilight Axis.

I personally felt the story of Unicorn largely painted the Zeon as victims of the war who pretty much were "forced" to gas colonies and drop them because they had no choice. Fed corruption like you said was nothing new and honestly hope this isn't another zeon fanwank series. I haven't read anything on the novels yet but if Tristan Gundam is the "enemy" and the Zaku III Cusotm is the "hero" I can't hope for much then.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Is this "thunderbolt" types of OVAs or "Unicorn" mini movies OVAs?
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
It's my understanding that Twilight Axis is in the same vain as Thunderbolt, but don't quote me on that.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
Are we getting a female Gundam pilot?

As far as early chapters go, the MC(s) will be Arlette & Danton as you can see their pics on the main page. The Gundam will be the "villain" and the Zaku III Custom will be the "hero". Regarding the Zaku III....spoiler[There's a hint that Arlette was involved in the development of the Zaku III Custom. And it will be piloted by Danton in the story, at least in the early chapters].

The story feels more personal and intimate though. We probably shouldn't expect something as grand as Unicorn from this just so that we won't be disappointed.

I can confirm this is tue based on the 1st couple chapters I've seen translated. In addition spoiler[After chasing off the Tristian and taking out a couple Jegans they abandon the Zaku III. After this they find the prototype AMX-104 R-Jara, apparently painted completely white, that Danton was the test pilot for and he engages a variant of the RX-160 Byarlent. ]

As for the Laplace Box McGuffin, I don't think it was a bad mcguffin per se, but it was completely oversold in the story. If they would have backed off a little on the potential impact of it being revealed to the public then it would have been fine. In the beginning to Twilight Axis they reveal that spoiler[most of the information from the incident gets suppressed anyway. ]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:

As for the Laplace Box McGuffin, I don't think it was a bad mcguffin per se, but it was completely oversold in the story. If they would have backed off a little on the potential impact of it being revealed to the public then it would have been fine. In the beginning to Twilight Axis they reveal that spoiler[most of the information from the incident gets suppressed anyway. ]

Gee that's a shoot the shaggy dog story if ever I've seen one. Made weirder by the fact Audrey broadcasted the revelation of the box across the colonies and the earth.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Oby wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
Are we getting a female Gundam pilot?

As far as early chapters go, the MC(s) will be Arlette & Danton as you can see their pics on the main page. The Gundam will be the "villain" and the Zaku III Custom will be the "hero". Regarding the Zaku III....spoiler[There's a hint that Arlette was involved in the development of the Zaku III Custom. And it will be piloted by Danton in the story, at least in the early chapters].

The story feels more personal and intimate though. We probably shouldn't expect something as grand as Unicorn from this just so that we won't be disappointed.

Well to be fair once Laplace's box was revealed it is mentioned there was a good chance that opening it would not change anything. Also spoiler[ does the novel specifically refer to the broadcast? Because it was clear in episode 7 of Unicorn that the federation couldn't stop the broadcast. ]
Zetabag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

I personally felt the story of Unicorn largely painted the Zeon as victims of the war who pretty much were "forced" to gas colonies and drop them because they had no choice. Fed corruption like you said was nothing new and honestly hope this isn't another zeon fanwank series. I haven't read anything on the novels yet but if Tristan Gundam is the "enemy" and the Zaku III Cusotm is the "hero" I can't hope for much then.

While I disagree with your notion about Unicorn, I don't think you have to worry about that with Twilight Axis. The 2 protagonists are former Zeon members and are currently civilians. They are part of the research team that is under the command of the Federation. Despite the fact that the antagonist are using Federation suits, their affiliation is unknown. This could be more of a Federation vs Federation kind of story rather than Federation vs Zeon. Also spoiler[ members of the Ronah Familiy, AKA the antagonists of F91, are in it though I don't know how extensive their involvement is. ]
moonshine101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

If it is I'm in, Since Blood Orphan, Origins, Thunderbolt and now season 2(EPIC BY THE WAY) I AM SO BLOODY HOOKED ON THESE LATEST GUNDAMS. This is so damn addictive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3