• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Earns US$4.7 Million in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asharka

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Now, if Funimation would only bring it to a theater closer than the one-way drive being longer than the movie, that would be nice...
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
asharka wrote:
Now, if Funimation would only bring it to a theater closer than the one-way drive being longer than the movie, that would be nice...

Dude it's a wonder this movie is even IN theaters in the states. Rolling Eyes

I love anime and Your Name. is beatiful, but a company is more likely to lose money by putting a non-Ghibli film in too many theaters.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like a home vid date announcement for it and Shin Godzilla already. But, in FUN's defense, lately there's a lot of movies here like that, stuck in 'Not In Theaters Nor On DVD/BD Purgatory, too. [Fist Fight, I'm looking at you. Razz]'
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
asharka wrote:

Dude it's a wonder this movie is even IN theaters in the states. Rolling Eyes

I love anime and Your Name. is beatiful, but a company is more likely to lose money by putting a non-Ghibli film in too many theaters.

This is the fate of anime.

One of the biggest anime films of all time... and it's regulated to a limited release. Granted it's doing great considering... but still. It's a shame America is overall too close-minded to give anime a serious chance. It's that stigma that holds back potential blockbusters such as this. It's a sad thing.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
I would be interested to see how it did broken down subtitled versus dubbed. While I am a big dub fan, I went to a subtitled showing as I felt there would be issues with certain parts translation-wise. That, plus I can save the dub for when I buy the Blu-Ray.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
It's great to see it's still showing in theaters in North America (though I think they pulled it from the theater near me a few weeks ago). Even in the U.S., where it's gotten a rather limited release, it just keeps going, despite gradually losing steam.

Also, is that supposed to be "over the weekend of May 5-7 to rank #32" in the first paragraph of the article, rather than "April 5-7," as it currently reads? Because it lists the amount made that weekend as US$89,864, but then the second paragraph goes on to say, "The film earned US$1,813,781 in its debut weekend beginning on April 7, and ranked #13 at the box office."
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I would be interested to see how it did broken down subtitled versus dubbed. While I am a big dub fan, I went to a subtitled showing as I felt there would be issues with certain parts translation-wise. That, plus I can save the dub for when I buy the Blu-Ray.

Hell Id like to know how many theaters actually played the subtitled version, after seeing it twice dubbed I went to a theater that said it was playing it subbed (according to fandango and my ticket) only for the movie to start and for it to be the dubbed version again, It wasn't a big issue, but it does make me wonder a bit
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
If Funi had partnered with Disney a bit (Disney being the movie distributor and Funi the home video distributor), then we could get a bigger audience for this. However, Disney would probably wanted to use celebrities to do the voices and not the Funi VA talent pool.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If Funi had partnered with Disney a bit (Disney being the movie distributor and Funi the home video distributor), then we could get a bigger audience for this. However, Disney would probably wanted to use celebrities to do the voices and not the Funi VA talent pool.

It wasn't dubbed by Funimation anyway. The master licensee was Anime Limited in the U.K. who paid for the dub production. Funi later sublicensed it from them, complete with the NYAV dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1