• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KADO - The Right Answer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's ignorance or pure trolling, but I already see people (online) accuse Arrival (you know, the one starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) of "borrowing" the concept from KADO. Or vice versa smh Sad

Last edited by L'Imperatore on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Kado and I'm glad it exists, even if I have no idea how it was possibly greenlit by Toei, since from a business perspective it really doesn't have much going for it
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Best anime of the season. Every episode so far is captivating and keeps me at the edge of my seat. I haven't seen a good series that keeps my focus all the way for a very long time. I can't stop thinking about it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I love this series so far. Definitely the hidden gem of the season. The concept on paper is really boring, but what makes it work is all the little quirks they throw in, such as Shindo and Yaha arguing over how to translate certain words and concepts to the public. You'd never see that in anything else airing right now. My prediction going forward is humans will end up screwing themselves by taking Yaha's gift for granted. Judging by next week's preview, that looks to be correct.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaeru89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
For me it is best anime of the season so far, something that makes my imaginations about aliens develop. It is logically made show with good characters. The lack of real antagonists is serving this show well. It makes me thrilled to see another episode. CGI is not making anything a blurred false vision like in some shows. Regardless anyone's opinion I will enjoy this show with more emotions that the anime where there is more action but much less plot.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Fastest 23 minutes this season. Good show. Wish more like it would follow. No need for note taking so far.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't for the inconsistent cg, I'd actually watch this.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
I don't know if it's ignorance or pure trolling, but I already see people (online) accuse Arrival (you know, the one starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) of "borrowing" the concept from KADO. Or vice versa smh Sad

How could a story written in 1998 be borrowing anything from this anime? On top of that they seem to have little in common aside from being about first contact and God knows how many science fiction stories have already been written about that. Anyone suggesting such a thing should really not be trusted for any opinion on science fiction.

As for this anime it actually is reminding me of the big idea science fiction that I've seen translated into English from Japanese. It often, like our early science fiction, tends to concentrate on the ideas as opposed to the characters. At times it offers a sense of being part of something so vast that sense of wonder doesn't cover it. And in the end it's all about how humans respond to such a thing. This anime feels like it may be going in that direction and I certainly hope so.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
This has been my favourite non-sequel so far. The concept is quite fascinating with its focus on language and communication and makes me wish that my Japanese was better...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it possible to trust a being from another world who shows up bearing a no-strings-attached gift? Would we be able to accept zaShunina's offer of unlimited energy without starting a war over which nations get to control it?

He hasn't actually said what he's getting out of this, and human beings have trouble conceiving of a being with purely altruistic intent, so trust would be difficult. zaShunina tried to explain with the example of having far more than enough food and encountering a hungry person. The obvious answer is you'd give him food, but we don't actually do that, do we, unless someone can point out how it's to our advantage (I'm not talking one-to-one interactions, in which many, or maybe most people will be generous with no strings attached). And most of the world's leaders seem to be people for whom no amount of wealth will ever be enough unless they have everything there is to acquire or control.

I don't think there would be wars over which nations control the energy: it's unlimited, so warring over an unlimited resource makes no sense. Presumably zaShunina would distribute it to everyone and take it all back if any nation tried to hoard it somehow. The wars would be over resources, and with unlimited clean energy, the competition would be even fiercer for those than it is now. At any rate it will be interesting to see how the series handles this.

If I were in Shindou's shoes though, I know I'd find it really uncomfortable to interact with someone who looked almost exactly like me. Very Happy He doesn't seem the least bit fazed by it, but then nothing seems to faze him. If he wasn't already so well known in the government, I wonder if that resemblance would make them suspicious of whether he was human or not.

So far the only thing I don't like is the childishly ditzy "scientist" girl. She's only been in 2 episodes, with very little screen time, but I despise her already. This must be some kind of record for a character who's not a villain. I want to stuff her in a trunk filled with Aoi from Coppelion and Lisa from Terror in Resonance, and launch the useless lot of them into the sun.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
In retrospect I regret watching the first couple episodes of this; it would have been better to wait until it was finished and then marathon it. Because now I am stuck waiting A WHOLE 'NOTHER WEEK to find out what happens next. Mad

I fear that poor Hanamori, by virtue of being stuck in the giant cube, is pretty much out of the story from now on. Bad Toei, teasing us like that...

And add me to those who dislike hyper scientist girl. (I think so far there's 100% agreement on that....)
Velius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I instantly liked this series, even when I thought it was just going to be 2 anime bros going from town to town closing deals for the government. Then the twist at the end of episode 0 was great. If it holds up, it will be one of my favorites from this season.
Olderthandirt2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
One of the most attractive elements of Anime is the fun of mixing stories tropes. Kado is tapping into the SF trope of the Alien as a super benefactor. (Which always has you watching for the catch!) SF that has done this includes Harry Bates' story "Farewell to the Master" which was the basis for the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", Clarke's "Childhoods End", and the Twilight Zone's famous episode "To Serve Man". All of this was 4-40-50 years before "Arrival" and Amy Adams.

Then on top of this we appear to have a real BL twist. Shindo is about as manly a protagonist as you can find. But instead of having a beautiful female alien to fall in love with and/or save form a monstrous fate. He gets a beautiful man, Yaha-kui. The second episode has Shindo getting a privileged view of Yaha-kui literally putting his very male and very beautiful body together. Then he has to insist that Yaha-kui put some clothes on. By episode three we have them bickering like newlyweds. Finally we have a totally implausible Fujoshi scientist loosing it every few minutes.

This promises to be a very good series.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I like hyper scientist girl. She's actually a very effective way to get across a different perspective with only a few lines. You get kind of lulled into the politician/negotiator perspective with their calm dialogue and then all of a sudden you get this excited opposing point of view which forces you to consider a different aspect. She's the one that was thinking about how dangerous the energy balls were when most everyone else was thinking about what they could potentially do with them or that zaShunina should have asked permission first.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Olderthandirt2 wrote:
One of the most attractive elements of Anime is the fun of mixing stories tropes. Kado is tapping into the SF trope of the Alien as a super benefactor. (Which always has you watching for the catch!) SF that has done this includes Harry Bates' story "Farewell to the Master" which was the basis for the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", Clarke's "Childhoods End", and the Twilight Zone's famous episode "To Serve Man". All of this was 4-40-50 years before "Arrival" and Amy Adams.

Then on top of this we appear to have a real BL twist. Shindo is about as manly a protagonist as you can find. But instead of having a beautiful female alien to fall in love with and/or save form a monstrous fate. He gets a beautiful man, Yaha-kui. The second episode has Shindo getting a privileged view of Yaha-kui literally putting his very male and very beautiful body together. Then he has to insist that Yaha-kui put some clothes on. By episode three we have them bickering like newlyweds. Finally we have a totally implausible Fujoshi scientist loosing it every few minutes.

This promises to be a very good series.

Nothing about this show screams yaoi to me so far. I guess I can see the fujo appeal in Yaha's design, but that's about it, really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9