• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
I watched this one mostly because I found the central duo likable enough to keep coming back. However, I will agree that the switches in tone throughout the series made it hard to keep track of the plot.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
This just reminded me of how good the winter 2016 season was. I really enjoyed this one and would love more but doubt that will happen.
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
There's a minor error towards the end of the review. The show was animated at Studio Gokumi not J.C. staff.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
^Agree with Greed1914. I liked the show for its goofy/silly humor but the "serious" parts never came off as really serious to me and seemed out of place. Policeman Robert was a good touch which brought needed "heart" and Ep5 where he, Nene and Cla-ring/Clarion helped an old wheelchair-bound woman and defeat some baddies in the process was what I liked most in the show. BUER was gross, a self-insert character for the watching pervs/pedos which might have added color if he wasn't butting into everything all the time (it seemed). Like cotton-candy, it was a fluffy bit of fun but I don't miss it or hope for a second season, so it's not "shelf-worthy" if you ask me.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
It's a weird admixture of a series I enjoyed it but it's an odd combination that never really meshes the two creators interests in a way that feels organic and instead feels like some strange Chimera of Anime.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It felt really weird but it managed to grab my attention, mainly because I like cyborgs and yuri. But the quality of execution was certainly low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This was actually one of my favorite shows to have come out of Winter 2016. I loved the leads and the adventures they went on, and a lot of neat concepts worked really well. I actually think the weakest point in the series is around episodes 4-6, where the pacing slows down to an absurd halt.

Still though, straight Cs all around. I'm impressed.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed what I've read of the manga. It's a cyberpunk yuri magical girl series, such a crazy combination.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
I thought it was good enjoyable fun. Loved the manga art work, which is why I watched the anime.
the green death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize it was the Excel World guy behind this, I'm actually a lot more interested but probably more in the manga.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
the green death wrote:
I didn't realize it was the Excel World guy behind this, I'm actually a lot more interested but probably more in the manga.

Excel Saga. Old school comedy series/manga
the green death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Excel Saga. Old school comedy series/manga

Doh, yeah that's what I meant, I'm an old school fan but also an old man so my memory for names ain't what it used to be!! Embarassed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
I considered myself a pretty big fan of this show. Some people had problems with the tonal shifts, but I liked it for kind of supplying both. On the surface it is pretty go happy but there is an undercurrent that something is going on that you have to piece together and the show does not really spell it out, like Uzal's decisions don't make full sense. I think I kind of figured it out by the end and it tied it all together.

What Uzal was working on was a way to have synthetically created intelligence able to empathise human emotions. It was why BUER was kind of erratic for what would be expected for the AI of what would be a weapon, why Clarion had the defining trait of being protective of her ears. They were attempts to have AI to think like humans do, either as more human robots, or robots that could emotionally feel for other people. Nene was pretty ignorant to this story, not even aware that Clarion was actually an android, that while she was a human adapting to being more robotic, Clarion was robot adapting to be more human. A lot of the stories really were things like them coming into contact with various humans and how they were with the new climate which they could learn from, which would leave an imprint on Clarion, a major one being that Nene treated any other robots with empathy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1