• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Monster Musume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
The review pretty much matches my exact thoughts; i don't go for ecchi anime, but i'm almost embarrassed of how often I've re-watched Monster Musume. It's just so wild and entertaining, and all the characters are so likeable! It's hard to pick my favorite character; while Rachnea's the most interesting to me, Centorea's such a sweetheart...

On my recent viewing of the bluray, i was reminded of how great some of the visual gags are, like when Papi shares the popsicle, and the, uh, *accident* that happens while helping Mia shed. Wildly inappropriate? Yes, but so help me i found it hilarious.

I thought the dub was ok; i quite liked Molly Searcy as Centorea and Monica Rial as Suu, but preferred the original Japanese actor for Mia (not that she was bad or anything, just personal preference).
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Papi: Best girl, or bestest girl?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Monster Musume when it first aired, but I dismissed the show as just another stupid harem anime; it looks like I might need to watch the whole thing. And apparently Sentai also underestimated the popularity of this title because they received more orders of the collector's edition than they anticipated.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
I, too, went for the special edition with this show. I liked that one of the things were printed out versions of the small info bits you'd get at the end of each episode about each kind of monster girl species and the variations among them.

*sigh* I hope it gets shipped soon. I could've bought the regular version and probably already had the show in my hands by now, but... yeah.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I, too, went for the special edition with this show. I liked that one of the things were printed out versions of the small info bits you'd get at the end of each episode about each kind of monster girl species and the variations among them.

*sigh* I hope it gets shipped soon. I could've bought the regular version and probably already had the show in my hands by now, but... yeah.

This also made me think "Hey, where is my limited edition copy?" I ordered it RIGHT AWAY when it was announced .... come on, Sentai!
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm in a similar situation. But in my case it's waiting for Borderlinx to ship it internationally.

I paid for their express shipping, but they're still holding on to it for almost a week now...

Edit: Looks like they finally shipped it. Estimated delivery; tomorrow evening.

Last edited by Mavado on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
What I find the most interesting about Monster Musume is that it goes 90% monster.... except in the case of Suu where the series goes 150% monster. It's a turn off for some people while I on the other hand have an overactive imagination and certain expectations of the human species as a whole.

For one thing: "One of the first laws you'd have to come up with for interspecies exchanges is a 'no sex' one?... Ok, sounds about right..." Classical mythology is a minefield of things that don't happen... no, I didn't wink, you're seeing things.... but people obviously thought about.

To put it in relation to Monster Musume, there's a reason why the author not only explained it could happen but went into details in what would happen with half of them... actually going even further spoiler[by saying it has to happen in the cases of the female only Lamias and Harpies and should happen in the biologically dead ended Centaurs].

Of course, the author never said how these things started... "How did they ever get the first, I don't know, minotaur? Funny story... Funny in that it's very literally depicted in the anime Melody of Oblivion by way of Minoan murals, not funny in what actually happens. Use your imagination, it's probably cleaner..."

I'd love to see a second season but again, there's that minefield...
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I ignored Monster Musume when it was streaming, but after reading this review I went and took a look.

Nope, can't do it. I watched two episodes and I don't believe I can go back for more. I think the biggest thing about this show that I cannot stand is the tremendous amounts of unwarranted physical abuse that the protagonist is forced to suffer. I dislike that particular anime trope with a vengeance.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Northlander wrote:

This also made me think "Hey, where is my limited edition copy?" I ordered it RIGHT AWAY when it was announced .... come on, Sentai!

I was unaware of how man people didn't have their Collectors Edition. I preordered mine the day it was announced and got it before it was released in the streets. I wonder why people who ordered theirs in advance haven't gotten theirs yet.

Sentai, you slacking.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I thought the dub was ok; i quite liked Molly Searcy as Centorea and Monica Rial as Suu, but preferred the original Japanese actor for Mia (not that she was bad or anything, just personal preference).

I feel the same about Papi. I love Brittney Karbowski but I still preferred Papi's japanese voice, I think it captured her childishness a little better.

I'm also still salty that Lala didn't have an Irish accent like she does in the manga.
Shradow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I think the biggest thing about this show that I cannot stand is the tremendous amounts of unwarranted physical abuse that the protagonist is forced to suffer.

That's one of my favorite parts, personally. It's great slapstick.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't have a problem with it either, despite the fact that I normally hate that sort of thing. Why? Because unlike all the other shows where I find it disagreeable, it's because the girls in that show hit their male leads with the intent to hurt them. Love Hina was the first great sinner in that regard, where a lot of the girls did more than just hit him: they actively went out of their way to make his life miserable at first. I kind of went with it and laughed when I first saw that kind of slapstick put to work in the Ranma 1/2 manga a long time ago back when I started reading it, but thanks to other shows as of late, I feel the joke has already been beaten to death, more or less. Newer shows can be really awful about that sort of thing too. It doesn't even have to be actual violence; just go watch Da Capo III -- none of the girls actually physically abuse the guy, but given how they treat him, they might as well have done it.

With the girls in Monster Musume, it becomes more of a "don't know their own strength" thing, or a "don't know how humans work" thing in the case of Suu (and Meroune to some extent.) Miia is the only one who's mildly violent when she's pushed, but so far, she's only lashed out a bit in earlier volumes when people have treated her rather poorly. In the rest of the cases, it's more that her hugs are basically mortally dangerous. On the flipside, we have Rachnera, who's almost painfully aware of how dangerous her large spider body is to people, and as such, remains the only one who hasn't actually hurt the male lead.

Of course, if you react to slapstick violence on harem leads regardless of reason or cause, nothing of what I say is going to matter. I'm just saying that I hate that crap too, but in this case, it didn't really bother me.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I ignored Monster Musume when it was streaming, but after reading this review I went and took a look.

Nope, can't do it. I watched two episodes and I don't believe I can go back for more. I think the biggest thing about this show that I cannot stand is the tremendous amounts of unwarranted physical abuse that the protagonist is forced to suffer. I dislike that particular anime trope with a vengeance.
Preach it.

I forced myself to watch the entire thing, it's not comedic at all. Very little of the suffering characters encounter has karma to back it up while the show itself. If you'd ask me about the characters I'd respond with "I'd hit that."

Last edited by ParaChomp on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The other reason I like Monster Musume so much is that it doesn't take itself too seriously... the show knows how silly its premise is (“local man wants to have sex with a giant snake”) and just rolls with it.

It's quite interesting to compare it to A Centaur's Life - Monmusu wants to be fun and silly, whilst Centaur veers more towards sociocommentary/metaphorical critique.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I was unaware of how man people didn't have their Collectors Edition. I preordered mine the day it was announced and got it before it was released in the streets. I wonder why people who ordered theirs in advance haven't gotten theirs yet.

I would love an answer to that question myself as I sit here waiting for mine. My now 2 week late birthday gift. Also waiting for the Fatal Fury movie BR. Also a 2 week late birthday gift. Rolling Eyes At least the manga my gf ordered came on time to be given to me as a gift.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2