• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the site back on the .com domain yet?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I've just used the .com link and the site loaded.

Do you actually have your domain back, or are sneaky pirates mirroring the content so as to snag our identities when we visit?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, same thing happened to me, too, and the topic reply notification emails are also sending me to the .com threads rather than the .cc threads, even though they come from "[email protected]".
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
According to tweets from ANN_Ed (CEO & Publisher) and ANNJakeH (Assistant Editor), ANN has regained control over the .com domain. They will likely post an official statement on the website and the Facebook page soon.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
When I clicked their twitter link, it still redirected me to .cc. What's worse, their last twitter posting of news title was on August 28 (something about Rurouni Kenshin). After that, they only posted 3 feature links. Hence I had to open ANN homepage instead of conveniently using direct twitter links.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
I know that things are a bit confusing at the moment.

The .com domain goes to the correct servers, but the official ownership transfer back to us hasn't been fully completed yet. Once that's done (and I don't have an ETA) we'll redirect .cc to .com, but in the meantime we're in a sort of ambiguous transition period where both .cc and .com can be used.

The topic reply notifications, IIRC, use the domain from which the new post (that triggered the notification) was made. So you might get either domain.

On the Twitter side, Chris opened a support ticket with Twitter a while back and it seems that they finally acted on it. They restored our original @Anime account with all the followers... and deleted the new @Anime account that had been created after the hack. Deleting that one broke our automatic updates on Twitter, and I has to re-setup that yesterday.

To add an extra layer of confusion on top of everything, Chris is currently on vacation so communications are spotty and I don't have the full details.

Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I asked on Twitter, but didn't get an answer, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Is there any way for Zac to get his old Twitter account back, or is he just going to stick to the new one?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe he particularly wants it back; he said he was glad to loose all the baggage and get a fresh start (or words to that effect).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_killjoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Do we know when Twitter logins are gonna start working again? When the site went back to .com I was already logged in, but after cleaning my cookies up I can't re-login, I just get a 500 error. Had to use my backup account
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok, Twitter logins are fixed, thanks for letting us know about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1