• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DVD/BD Sales for 1st Half of 2017 in Japan Drop 10%

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess that means production committees have to rely more and more on streaming licensing fees, merchandise sales, original work boost (if there is one), collaborations with other business properties, etc

Just look at the prediction for this july's anime sales, aside from symphogear and token ranbou, all other works are doomed to abysmal disc sales
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I guess that means production committees have to rely more and more on streaming licensing fees, merchandise sales, original work boost (if there is one), collaborations with other business properties, etc

Just look at the prediction for this july's anime sales, aside from symphogear and token ranbou, all other works are doomed to abysmal disc sales

Or maybe i dont know dont charge an arm and a leg for the shows and maybe people would buy more
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Good to see BD's and DVD's die out, especially with the garbage Japanese way of doing things. Barely anything sells even averagely nowadays and the decline is bigger every year.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Based on Oricon charts 2016 saw a noticeable drop in the number of anime shows that averaged 3k or more per BD/DVD volume. From 2012-2015 a lot of shows sold a lot of discs, but it looks like that golden era for anime discs sales is over. Interestingly, since 2015 anime films are having a renaissance; hopefully this trend continues.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
Or maybe i dont know dont charge an arm and a leg for the shows and maybe people would buy more

Japanese publishers have tried in the past to sell anime discs are lower prices, but apparently that did not increase the number of copies sold. The bulk of Japanese anime disc sales is heavily dependent on hardcore otaku, who don't seem to mind paying an arm and a leg.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish Dragon Maid sold a bit better in terms of disc sales, I really loved the anime adaptation. However and unfortunately I doubt I'm going to pick it up Funimation's Western release because of the fiasco with the dub, I simply don't want any part of it when the show's core message is weirdly twisted for the dub by some writer that has an agenda.

Engineering Nerd wrote:

Ya sadly this seems to be the case, Token Ranbou is currently dominating the disc sale charts, which is cool for fans of the series but I wish some of my favorites from Summer also did good in sales. Mainly "Made In Abyss" and "Kakegurui" are two of my personal favorites from the season, plus I'm loving the second season of "New Game". Oh well, I hope they find a way to make some profits at least.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Good to see BD's and DVD's die out, especially with the garbage Japanese way of doing things. Barely anything sells even averagely nowadays and the decline is bigger every year.

Sure, but BDs and DVDs are still a very important part of anime fandom, especially in places that don't have stellar or consistent high-speed internet options. Even in the US, there are a surprising number of people who only have access to the internet on their smartphones, and some who don't have any non-workplace internet access outside of public libraries (especially in the Appalachian region).
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Digi was right...? :O
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I wish Dragon Maid sold a bit better in terms of disc sales, I really loved the anime adaptation. However and unfortunately I doubt I'm going to pick it up Funimation's Western release because of the fiasco with the dub, I simply don't want any part of it when the show's core message is weirdly twisted for the dub by some writer that has an agenda.

The dub was really REALLY well done. What illuminati agenda are we talking about here?
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub was really REALLY well done. What illuminati agenda are we talking about here?

A few lines were changed and probably the changes won't be in final release the same way the change in Prison School wasn't.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I watched the dub of Dragon Maid and I don't remember anything major in terms of changes. There was a small change made in episode 1 where they added a joke when Tohru was declaring her love for Kobayashi but I don't think it was malicious. After all Tohru declared her love for Kobayashi about 100 more times during the course of the show. Just to be clear I do prefer that translations stay accurate to what was said. Also if you really think that is important you can make a change.org petition since it is about 3 lines of dialogue so it wouldn't take much to get Funimation to change it
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Sure, but BDs and DVDs are still a very important part of anime fandom, especially in places that don't have stellar or consistent high-speed internet options. Even in the US, there are a surprising number of people who only have access to the internet on their smartphones, and some who don't have any non-workplace internet access outside of public libraries (especially in the Appalachian region).

Sure, important part of the fandom if you say so, but of the industry less and less. And this western anime fandom you're talking about that buys BD's and DVD's is shrinking and dying as well, since in general people are moving away to digital. I know, there are dedicated collectors, but not as many as you might think.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Just make less. The number of anime per season keeps increasing while the number of total people who buy anime keeps decresing. This is not rocket science.

Thorfinn wrote:
Good to see BD's and DVD's die out

Don't be quick with the trigger. BD's are the only reason we get fixed up animation after the show ends.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Ya sadly this seems to be the case, Token Ranbou is currently dominating the disc sale charts, which is cool for fans of the series but I wish some of my favorites from Summer also did good in sales.

Recently, event tickets has been announced for Symphogear so preorder rankings went through the roof. Now will have enough time to overtake Touken Ranbu, who knows?!

Quote:
Mainly "Made In Abyss" and "Kakegurui" are two of my personal favorites from the season, plus I'm loving the second season of "New Game". Oh well, I hope they find a way to make some profits at least.

Now I'm wondering if those shows exclusively on Amazon and Netflix respectively will compensate their future disc sales.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
As a disc buyer, something I have to say, there's just too much to choose from. I missed a show? Really too much is coming out. The amount of choices have actually made me buy less than normal. I typically buy discs in several hundred dollar batches (half of my last order was the Chiyahafuru Premium set, though there were 7 other items in that order!) Still....like. Too much. The consumerbase is suffering some burnout.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
How much does the decrease from 2016-17 have to do with Kimi no na wa coming out last year?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4