• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In This Corner of the World's Japanese BD/DVD to Include English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this trend, let's hope it catches on and we can get more than the 2-3 releases per yer with subtitles that we've been getting for years. I'm willing and able to pay for imports if they include subs.

Can anyone that's been buying subbed Japanese releases comment to the quality of the subtitles? I've been putting up with a few typos and poor word choice on the US releases for years anyway, so as long as they maintain that minimal level of competency with these I'll be more likely to import a few.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Obviously a good thing, but I was REALLY hoping A Silent Voice would also get this treatment...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Can anyone that's been buying subbed Japanese releases comment to the quality of the subtitles?

They're usually fine. There are exceptions, and "dubtitles" are an occasional issue, but most of the time subtitles on Japanese disks are of a quality comparable to domestic releases. I've never seen any that were actually "bad" on the level of, say, 80's Hong Kong movie subs. Here's a good place to read about such releases and ask more specific questions.
Cardbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anywhere on the website or the source regarding English subtitles. The only mention of subtitles at all is Japanese cc. Has the website been changed since this was published? I know the article is a bit older now, but figured I'd reply anyway.
Cardbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually received my copy of the film today and can confirm there are no English subtitles whatsoever included with this release. No mention them anywhere on the website or product listings as I mentioned before.

Still a gorgeous release though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1