• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World-

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So this second episode was just a total failure of adaptation, taking out crucial parts of the story while actively adding things that subtract meaning.

It's actually the opposite. The old version of Colosseum added a lot of things that wasn't in the light novel. I agree that the 2003 version of this chapter was better, but the new version is much closer to the source material.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Note: I am aware that there exists some controversy over which pronouns to use for Kino. Without spoiling anything, I will be defaulting to “they/them” for the duration of these reviews. It's not a big part of the story or anything, but I want to make my approach clear from the beginning in order to minimize any confusion down the line.

I guess this is for those who haven't watched 2003 version, huh?
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I do prefer the original because they explained why the king killed his father and proceeded to push away his own kids. the story revolves around family cycles that tend to repeat themselves with each generation. A long time ago, a king was killed by one of his children. The one responsible became king, and proceeded to push away his own progeny. Needless to say one came back, killed him, and became the new king, following in the exact same footsteps as his parentage. And thus the cycle went on until Kino did what he/she did.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
With how they adapted Colloseum, I'm really worried how they will adapt Land of Adults. It's one of my favorite episodes of all anime, and I feel that if it's not adapted well it could severely damage the viewer's perception of Kino.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned about the director and writer’s resumes before the season started, and while I commended the job they did on the first episode, the second episode was unfortunately in line with my original expectations (the worst case at least). I definitely preferred the version from the original anime, and if this is more faithful to the source, then I have an even higher opinion of the original staff. Hopefully this is just a hiccup, but I’m glad I kept my expectations in check going into the season, for different reasons for the first and second episodes.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Note: I am aware that there exists some controversy over which pronouns to use for Kino. Without spoiling anything, I will be defaulting to “they/them” for the duration of these reviews. It's not a big part of the story or anything, but I want to make my approach clear from the beginning in order to minimize any confusion down the line.

I guess this is for those who haven't watched 2003 version, huh?

Nah, this is for people who have seen it (or are otherwise familiar with the source material) but like to argue. The "without spoiling anything" comment can't be taken seriously, because the whole paragraph's discussion is inherently a spoiler by drawing attention to it.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much this^. There's not really much need to be vague about it. It's a mild spoiler for the original series movie, but yeah, talking about it in any capacity is basically a spoiler anyway.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:

I guess this is for those who haven't watched the 2003 version, huh?

Nah, this is for people who have seen it (or are otherwise familiar with the source material) but like to argue. The "without spoiling anything" comment can't be taken seriously, because the whole paragraph's discussion is inherently a spoiler by drawing attention to it.

Oh, crap.

Well, it doesn't really take a genius to figure it out. I mean, I noticed two obvious clues when(I'll just put them under the spoiler tag just in case) spoiler[Kino annoyed at the guard for calling 'em boy and when Riku whispered into Shizu's ear after Kino made that statement about being taught never to go off with strange men.]

Last edited by Animechic420 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
While I definitely prefer the 2003 version of the colosseum storyline, from what I recall of the original story from the novel, this new adaptation was far more faithful. The book included little information about the other fighters or the king himself, and spent a big chunk of the story describing in detail how Kino loaded the bullet into the revolver that was used to break the glass window.

I feel like the message this new adaptation was attempting to make about Kino's motivation was as a sort of moral revenge for the fate of the couple Kino met on the road. It was entirely personal, not just as revenge.for what happened to Kino, but as a sort of parallel to how Kino's actions broke the cycle of violence Shizu was caught in.

I do think it was too rushed and that the 2003 anime's decision to flesh out this arc into two episodes, even at the expense of never seeing Shizu in the story again, was the right one. Still looking forward to future episodes in this adaptation regardless.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about too many redoes. I'm guessing this was largely done simply to introduce Shizu so they wouldn't alienate new viewers too much befire featuring him in multiple stories in this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Controversy? Where? Like the comment stated above, it's pretty obvious to spot.
BloodyKitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to the new adaptation, the episode was more faithful to the novel, while the 2003 anime got 2 episodes and improved a lot on the source material by adding more characterization to the King and contestants and giving the King's story a better direction. The new anime still rushed a few things though, to be more specific:

- In the novel, right after entering the country, Kino was taken to the lodging cell and saw the poor citizens on the dirty streets, should have been some of whom couldn't win or refused the fights for high-class citizenship. In the new law that Kino cast upon the country after winning the fight with Shizu, Kino also added that people who don't want to fight can leave the country and forfeit citizenship, which can be because Kino have those people in mind when making the law, leaving the bloodthirsty high-class to fight among themselves.

- The fights with other contestants except Shizu were in some more details in the novel, and gave readers the sense of a colosseum tournament as Kino's opponents got stronger the further Kino got into it. The new anime breezed through the fights in favor of the fight with Shizu (a little too bad, as I like Kino's fight with the blond woman).

Last edited by BloodyKitty on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the episode 2 threads on multiple sites and I find it really interesting that the viewers who have zero idea about the series still find the second episode topnotch. The Indiana Jones-esque fights with the first four opponents appeared like little comedic inserts (I admit that I chuckled through them...)

The staff is definitely going the FMA: Brotherhood route with this version. If one's definition of a good adaptation is "being faithful to the source", then it most certainly is not a failure. Being a biased fan, I still think the 2003 version was loads better. But to be fair they took 2 episodes to do so, and then the fans still complained it was too long. Oh fandom... Smile

Anyway, I'm just here to complain about the dip in art quality just two episodes into the series. Come on Lerche, you can do this!
Yazu13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the 2nd episode quite a bit. It might have been because I am not familiar with the source material, but it gave us a lot to think about. spoiler[The revelation that the wife of the killed husband recommended Kino to visit the country makes it easier to understand why Kino would incite mass murder after killing the king. The people of this world are clearly flawed, and in some countries to a greater extent. Knowing how twisted these people were, and even that the seemingly innocent wife would beckon Kino to such a horrible place, makes me sympathize with Kino for just wanting to see the whole country destroyed"]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So whatever the deal with the pronouns is, an informed decision of using "they" has to be made to keep the purity of a new adaption separate from the original, but the entire second episode has to be compared to the version in the original and criticised for not adhering to what the original did?

Not seeing the original I found episode 2 fine. Somewhat Kino was so much trying to avoid killing, but behind that was a rage against something the king did and an extension to everyone that was complicit in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21