• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Fans Oppose Cherry Blossom Tree Planting in Tottori

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theilikepie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Why do fans think they have a say in what the government or organization does? Isn't ithat good if more trees are planted?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow. So basically "screw nature and beauty! Keep it accurate for the anime!!!!" These kind of fans are teh worst
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Screw those fans! Plant all the cherry blossom trees you want, people!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
....I'm confused. Won't planting trees be a good thing for both the town AND the anime pilgrimage site since the older trees are damaging the buildings? Why would anyone oppose this just because it's not "canon" to the anime? Razz Love the series but this is nuts.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Whatever committee is in charge of Free should do a piece of art showing what the area would look like with the trees planted and the characters blossom viewing the new trees. It's silly for an anime to have any kind of influence on an area rather than, say, local businesses that would be directly effected as it should be.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
....I'm confused. Won't planting trees be a good thing for both the town AND the anime pilgrimage site since the older trees are damaging the buildings? Why would anyone oppose this just because it's not "canon" to the anime? Razz Love the series but this is nuts.

It isn't really about that, it's about the new trees being planted in an area where they didn't exist in the anime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It isn't really about that, it's about the new trees being planted in an area where they didn't exist in the anime.

Emerje

But that's still not a valid reason for fans to get upset. It's government property and they should plant the trees regardless of if it was in a TV show. I'm certain other shows that use real life locations will visibly change over time anyway.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh, so we got NIMBYs in the anime fandom too. Though I guess it's more like BANANAs as the trees aren't actually in their backyards.

Kougeru wrote:
Wow. So basically "screw nature and beauty! Keep it accurate for the anime!!!!" These kind of fans are teh worst

These fans also don't realize that it's not going to stay accurate even if left unchanged. The entire point of removing some of the trees and replacing them is because some of them are damaging the castle and some others are dying of old age. If the government does what these fans say and leave them alone, before long you're going to have dead trees and further damage to the historic castle.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the whole "pilgrimage" thing was silly, but this is a new level of ridiculous. Get a freaking life, people. You're giving the rest of us fans a really bad name.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

But that's still not a valid reason for fans to get upset. It's government property and they should plant the trees regardless of if it was in a TV show.

Isn't that what I said in that same post you quoted?

Top Gun wrote:
I always thought the whole "pilgrimage" thing was silly, but this is a new level of ridiculous. Get a freaking life, people. You're giving the rest of us fans a really bad name.

Unfortunately this isn't a new level at all, fans have been doing this sort of thing for years. There's the whole Totoro forest thing, and that one bridge that a town wanted to tear down because it was outdated and causing traffic problems, but had to build around because fans of whatever anime that was complained. There's a bunch of stories like that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
So by "Free! fans oppose cherry tree planting" you mean two comments & a tweet. I suppose that does make the title technically accurate.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
With this scene of Tottori being so iconic to Japanese viewers of Free, I understand why they're so opposed to seeing new sakura trees being planted their. However, with some of the trees succumbing to old age and damaging some parts of the castle, the city government does have validity in felling them in place of new trees. Here's hoping they'll reach a compromise of some sort.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
In the end I think they will have to take into consideration which brings more traffic to the area: Free! fans or the general public who want to see cherry blossom trees. If the number of Free! fans bringing additional tourism to the area is significant then these "complaints" will likely be taken seriously.

I remember it was somewhat of a big deal when a prominent parking lot shown in Durarara!! was changed in Ikebukuro. I forgot what it became but I do remember construction taking place there.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
With this scene of Tottori being so iconic to Japanese viewers of Free, I understand why they're so opposed to seeing new sakura trees being planted their. However, with some of the trees succumbing to old age and damaging some parts of the castle, the city government does have validity in felling them in place of new trees. Here's hoping they'll reach a compromise of some sort.

A trait common among superfans is a refusal to compromise. From the perspective of the government people, it's either leave it as it is or sacrifice the Free! fans.

crosswithyou wrote:
In the end I think they will have to take into consideration which brings more traffic to the area: Free! fans or the general public who want to see cherry blossom trees. If the number of Free! fans bringing additional tourism to the area is significant then these "complaints" will likely be taken seriously.

I remember it was somewhat of a big deal when a prominent parking lot shown in Durarara!! was changed in Ikebukuro. I forgot what it became but I do remember construction taking place there.

A historic site is getting damaged by some of these trees though. Personally, I think that a good preservation of this castle, as a historic site, is worth more than the Free! fans. There will only be one of this castle, after all. And the Free! fans will stop coming when enough time passes and it becomes less and less accurate as the trees comtinue to grow and change shape.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
A historic site is getting damaged by some of these trees though. Personally, I think that a good preservation of this castle, as a historic site, is worth more than the Free! fans. There will only be one of this castle, after all. And the Free! fans will stop coming when enough time passes and it becomes less and less accurate as the trees comtinue to grow and change shape.

My understanding is that the city wants to increase the number of cherry blossom trees in addition to replacing old ones, and I think it's the increasing the number of trees that fans are against.

Quote:
The objections ask the city not to plant trees that do not appear in the anime and to plant trees in areas that will not change the scenery.

Am I incorrect in my understanding?? I don't think fans are against replacing old trees.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
My understanding is that the city wants to increase the number of cherry blossom trees in addition to replacing old ones, and I think it's the increasing the number of trees that fans are against.

Quote:
The objections ask the city not to plant trees that do not appear in the anime and to plant trees in areas that will not change the scenery.

Am I incorrect in my understanding?? I don't think fans are against replacing old trees.

Is it? My impression was that these fans who were complaining wanted the city to do absolutely nothing. Every tree will look different though, and when it comes to tree replacement, they're going to pick something a bit undersized so it'll eventually grow into what they want. It's better to put a tree that's too small than a tree that's too big.

But I guess it'll all come down to how specific and nitpicky these fans are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2