• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 1st Ever Male Precure Debuts in Kirakira ☆ Precure a la Mode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edl01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm amused by the fact that seemingly nobody in this thread has actually seen Kirakira Precure despite all the arguing, meaning that poor Julio is just stuck being referred to, "Some guy", despite the fact he's been a major character since very early in the series. People are acting as if they randomly introduced a brand new character with no build up to target a male demographic.

Also I'm 90% certain he's not actually a Cure, considering he doesn't have the theme of an animal or a dessert like the rest of them. He's already a fairy who can use magic, so he's probably just getting some kind of power-up.
Sayuri Lapis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
This anime is basically a self help guide on how to destroy your long running franchise. First, you get rid of the punching and kicking, now you introduce male Precure in a Magical Girl anime, this is not like Aikatsu, Idolmaster, or Pripara where male characters can be idols. They first killed the fun of the franchise and now they killed the point of the genre and the reason it exists.

I 100% agree with you. I could have not said better myself. I bet these "fans" who are "happy" seeing a "male Precure" (NO official statement has been given about this issue, you "fans") love seeing franchises making foolish decisions and alienating real fans who want to keep the formula that makes it great in tact. Just look at Little Witch Academia TV anime. The producer tried to shove hetero romance down the fans' throats but the staff stopped him because it was not right for the series that is about witch girls doing witch stuff. I also bet these "fans" are waiting for Love Live to be just like Idolmaster: having its own Producer-san or a male love interest. The point is that pandering to everyone is not always a great idea. Series like LL, GuP, K-On!, and Kemono Friends are huge success even when they are not meant for everyone.

Another thing is that some people here are very happy to see a male Cure despite nothing official has been given about it (thanks, >ANN) and yet they ask for one when somebody brings up an "official" yuri couple. That is just ridiculous and pathetic, Just another proof that people do not take yuri seriously. If that is what they want for Precure, then I hope Precure will eventually make a canon yuri Cure couple first before making a canon male Cure.

You know, If you aren't having fun, then you can go home. I do consider Julio as a the first male precure and I think we should have more magical boys. And what's wrong with the idea of having a male love interest in idol animes like Love Live? Yuri is a pretty common thing in Precure, especially in doujinshis and the anime as well (Yukari x Akira). And ANN doesn't cater to your needs either.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
(And how quickly we forget Cure Sebastian)

Cure Fire is where it's at.
Superfield

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Sayuri Lapis wrote:
I need a source for this. Can you give it to me please? Not trying to be rude, but it just seems a little...off.

On what, may I ask? Most of that was just my own opinions.
Storm101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Another thing is that some people here are very happy to see a male Cure despite nothing official has been given about it (thanks, >ANN) and yet they ask for one when somebody brings up an "official" yuri couple. That is just ridiculous and pathetic, Just another proof that people do not take yuri seriously. If that is what they want for Precure, then I hope Precure will eventually make a canon yuri Cure couple first before making a canon male Cure.

What is so pathetic about this? I actually watch the show and that episode was yuri was hell, but it still surprises me that they would've officially acknowledged it somewhere. And no, I certainly would not be happy to see a male Precure.

Quote:
You know, If you aren't having fun, then you can go home. I do consider Julio as a the first male precure and I think we should have more magical boys. And what's wrong with the idea of having a male love interest in idol animes like Love Live? Yuri is a pretty common thing in Precure, especially in doujinshis and the anime as well (Yukari x Akira). And ANN doesn't cater to your needs either.

Because people watch shows like Love Live for the cute girls. That's really all there is to it. We don't need shorehorned male characters taking away screentime from them. I am not the target audience of Precure so I have no right to complain, but it would still be disappointing if a magical girl series of 10+ years suddenly stopped being about magical girls.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
If this crushes any chance of any more subtext, then I'm actually kinda glad they did this.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I would be really happy about a show that gave equal time to male and female Olympic-level figure skaters, if any anime making people are reading this thread! Razz
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
For the record, I would be really happy about a show that gave equal time to male and female Olympic-level figure skaters, if any anime making people are reading this thread! Razz

Agreed. Though that is the challenge. Anime audiences have been so conditioned to segregating things off into specific "fetish" topics, or in the case of shows like the one that is the subject of this thread, even if the fetish is not explicitly intended, people get set in their ways and become violently angry if there is change on the horizon. We've seen it time and time again. This is just the latest battleground in that conflict.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Storm101 wrote:
Quote:

What is so pathetic about this? I actually watch the show and that episode was yuri was hell, but it still surprises me that they would've officially acknowledged it somewhere. And no, I certainly would not be happy to see a male Precure.

Quote:

Because people watch shows like Love Live for the cute girls. That's really all there is to it. We don't need shorehorned male characters taking away screentime from them. I am not the target audience of Precure so I have no right to complain, but it would still be disappointing if a magical girl series of 10+ years suddenly stopped being about magical girls.

Well since PreCure is a Toei show it wouldn't surprise me if that's become a reversed Super Sentai where female are dominant and there is one or two boys in the group.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Agreed. Though that is the challenge. Anime audiences have been so conditioned to segregating things off into specific "fetish" topics, or in the case of shows like the one that is the subject of this thread, even if the fetish is not explicitly intended, people get set in their ways and become violently angry if there is change on the horizon. We've seen it time and time again. This is just the latest battleground in that conflict.
To be fair you came into this thread and started throwing out statements about how no one should care about gender in 2017 so you are one of the people taking part in the conflict. I get that it is politically correct to say that gender doesn't matter but from my experience in life it is very important to 99% of people. It is why so many people are coming into a thread to celebrate or criticize a male Precure when it hasn't even been confirmed.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Again, I say this: Julio/Pikario is NOT a precure. Can people at least wait for the episode at least? This happened before in Fresh: two former villains gained a new form to help the girls out and they weren't precures either.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
To be fair you came into this thread and started throwing out statements about how no one should care about gender in 2017 so you are one of the people taking part in the conflict. I get that it is politically correct to say that gender doesn't matter but from my experience in life it is very important to 99% of people. It is why so many people are coming into a thread to celebrate or criticize a male Precure when it hasn't even been confirmed.

I cam into the thread and commented on people wishing DOOM upon the series if they even attempt to have a male precure, because... ??? The gender of an animated character is only really important here if people are seeing this in fetish terms. They don't want that to be impacted by a gender that they aren't interested in. That makes sense but I don't see it as a good reason to be so outraged. Otherwise there is no legitimate reason to be so angry if the decided to make a boy precure.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I won't get my hopes up until we have confirmation, but I actually love the idea of a male Precure. Reminds me of how badly I wanted to see a magical boy as a kid watching Sailor Moon, haha.

I've always thought it was weird more magical girl series don't try mixed gender teams. It gives girls a pretty boy to fawn over and could potentially attract more boys, so it seems like the kind of thing marketing would be all over.

jet_ wrote:
If this is news worthy then why didn't you report on Akira and Yuakri being a confirmed couple?
There's stage events and even staff interviews that confirm their relationship.

Wait, what?! I'm not surprised, but confirmation is still really nice. Do you have a link? Very Happy

Mertal wrote:
And I also would like a link to any official statement supporting a Cannon Yuri couple please. Being a children's show, I cannot really see them outright recognizing a official yuri couple, not when they STILL think lesbianism for young girls is still a "Phase" in youth they will grow out of.

Why is it so hard to believe? Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon were kids shows, but it didn't stop the Japanese versions of those shows from having canon LGBT characters in relationships. I understand wanting a source but whether or not it's true about KiraKira, it's been true with other kids shows in Japan.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Sayuri Lapis wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
This anime is basically a self help guide on how to destroy your long running franchise. First, you get rid of the punching and kicking, now you introduce male Precure in a Magical Girl anime, this is not like Aikatsu, Idolmaster, or Pripara where male characters can be idols. They first killed the fun of the franchise and now they killed the point of the genre and the reason it exists.

I 100% agree with you. I could have not said better myself. I bet these "fans" who are "happy" seeing a "male Precure" (NO official statement has been given about this issue, you "fans") love seeing franchises making foolish decisions and alienating real fans who want to keep the formula that makes it great in tact. Just look at Little Witch Academia TV anime. The producer tried to shove hetero romance down the fans' throats but the staff stopped him because it was not right for the series that is about witch girls doing witch stuff. I also bet these "fans" are waiting for Love Live to be just like Idolmaster: having its own Producer-san or a male love interest. The point is that pandering to everyone is not always a great idea. Series like LL, GuP, K-On!, and Kemono Friends are huge success even when they are not meant for everyone.

Male Love Interest + 2D Idols + Idol otaku = A bad day for the creators at best. If you think the incident with Kannagi was bad, try putting male love interests in a female idol anime (and it's not hentai) and see the backlash. It would probably make national headlines in Japan and would destroy whatever franchise dared to do so even though it didn't deserve it.
Painted Outlaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'm kinda amazed people are that freaked out (in a negative way) by the gender of a character in an animated show. Aren't we still in 2017?

Yeah, clearly it's that and not that ANN posted an article "confirming" Julio being a Pretty Cure when Toei hasn't said either way yet. Closest we have is the info in this post saying that he's listed with the fairies and not called a Precure anywhere. But I guess in 2017, facts don't matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5