• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Farting Around

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how Discotek got Bananyan, any hope for Onara Goro? If it ever happens, we're going to KNOW who's responsible, Mike Toole!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There has been growing interest in short anime over the last couple years. I remember Miss Bernard Says, Galko Chan, Wakako-Zake, Lovely Muco & others getting coverage outside of the quiet corners of the internet they usually reside in, for example. Not to mention not quite regular length titles like Space Patrol Luluco & To Be Hero developing "cult" followings (I remember Luluco showing up in one of those Crunchyroll infographics as the most popular show with people who watched 50+ series in the year, or something like that).

I think part of why it's been quieter lately is simply that 2017 was a bit of a crap year for shorts, at least compared to the previous two-three. Apart from that one with Pikotarou (the apple-pinapple-pen guy) & NTR, the only shorts worth even noticing were continuations or sequels of ones from 2016. Certainly from my POV it was the worst year for shorts since...well probably before whenever Encouragement of Climb kicked off a whole bunch of short SOL type shows (& I liked NTR).

Which is a shame, since personally I think/want shorter runtime seasonal anime to be the place where titles that would previously have been <1hour OVAs to find a new home, given how dead that sector of the medium seems to be. Gotten pretty fed up with the "12 24 minute episodes no matter what" format that dominates anime streaming. Currently it's still mostly just a dumping ground for mile a minute gag comedies & glorified adverts, despite clearly having proved it's capable of more.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Mike Toole, bless you and your obscure anime knowledge and recommendations. I think I've added more anime to my watch list from your articles than from any other part of ANN (although considering how backlogged that list is, I'm not sure if that's a good thing). Anyway, keep up the great work.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I love short-form anime
It's sad that there's not so much these days. The era of flash animation like Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei were truly the golden days for me.

At least there's gdgd men's party this season
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I really hope you put on Bananya during the 24-hour anime theatre, Mike. And I really wish Pingu in the City was available for legal streaming. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Chōjū Giga sounds particularly amusing. XD
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
@Lemonchest:

Luluco is cheating. It had the massive advantage of being made by Trigger, which meant plenty of people were going to watch it no matter what.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the interesting things about Sengoku Chōjū Giga is that the voice actors don't really do voice acting voices. They generally do natural speaking voices, aside from the hilarious Lupin III bit.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
These columns continue to be my most commonly-given answer to the question, "jeez, where the hell did you find that?"
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm even madder that Onara Goro is only one season long. Here's a sequel idea for you, creator Takashi Taniguchi and studio ILCA-- Detective Onara-Goro. Why have a fart solve daily problems when you can have a fart that solves crimes?!

Funny that we do kind of have the spiritual sequel to Onara Goro with almost this exact prescribed scenario in "Butt Detective". It's got solid animation AND fart jokes! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=047VMJlBZxQ
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Luluco is cheating. It had the massive advantage of being made by Trigger, which meant plenty of people were going to watch it no matter what.

On the other hand, hardly anyone watched Turning Girls...
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

I think part of why it's been quieter lately is simply that 2017 was a bit of a crap year for shorts, at least compared to the previous two-three. Apart from that one with Pikotarou (the apple-pinapple-pen guy) & NTR, the only shorts worth even noticing were continuations or sequels of ones from 2016.

Did you watch "Love is Like a Cocktail"? One of the best shorts of 2017 with very good Dannaken vibes.

Makeruna!! Aku no Gundan was also quite charming and delightfully animated. But I generally agree with you, the previous years were better for short animes.

...well, not completely. I believe 2017 is a fantastic year for short anime if you take all the Tate anime into account, but those are not available outside of Japan.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
On the other hand, hardly anyone watched Turning Girls...

Turning Girls was great but it slipped under the radar and I don't know that t got released legally? It's also not very Trigger-y, because there's hardly any animation. Also, it came out a bit before Kill la Kill so the Trigger fanbase wasn't so big then.
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Youtube version is legal.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Youtube version is legal.

Oh, nice! you learn something new every day. Looks like I'll be rewatching the series now. Kaeru forever!

EDIT: Now noone has an excuse not to watch it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2