• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Chinese Nationals Arrested in Japan for Translating Manga, Games for Distribution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Them Chinese are on a whole different level when it comes to pirating.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
over 15,000 manga

Damn...
otagirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

How are they different to any other scanlation/ fansub groups of other nationalities? Or is this the usual "ok racism" against Chinese? English language pirating is pretty rampant itself and would be more so if there was easy access to material.

If it wasnt for fan translations I wouldnt have bought 95% of my mangas. Since we have no access to serials theres no other way to preview the material. And no kid is going to shell out money they dont have based on journalist reviews.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The graduate student allegedly translated the dialogue of characters in a game based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga from January 2015 to January 2016. The Asahi Shimbun paper lists the game as Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Tag Force Special (pictured left).

Think of all the money Konami lost on this download-only video game released exclusively in Japanese.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
crosswithyou wrote:

How are they different to any other scanlation/ fansub groups of other nationalities? Or is this the usual "ok racism" against Chinese?

Likely talking about how penalties could be up to 10 years in prison or 90,000, while in Western countries the penalties would be non-existant or relatively minor.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
It's... not illegal to translate dialogue though, is it?
I mean, I understand arresting them for distribution I guess, but...?? Translation patches for games surely aren't illegal??? This is pretty bizarre.

Primus wrote:
Quote:
The graduate student allegedly translated the dialogue of characters in a game based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga from January 2015 to January 2016. The Asahi Shimbun paper lists the game as Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Tag Force Special (pictured left).

Think of all the money Konami lost on this download-only video game released exclusively in Japanese.

It's totally hurting all the sales they'll never make when they never release it outside of Japan.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
As said above, aside from very popular items, if it was never to see a release in Chinese, how much was really lost even considering a possible future release for a few of them?...

Quote:
A 2013 inquiry by the Japanese government's Agency for Cultural Affairs asserted that unauthorized distribution of Japanese anime, manga, and games on Chinese Internet sites led to a loss of 3.8 trillion yen (about US$35 billion).

Do they really believe that? It's been ages since even RIAA admitted one download /= one lost sale.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
I mean, I understand arresting them for distribution I guess, but...?? Translation patches for games surely aren't illegal??? This is pretty bizarre.

Arresting them for distribution is beyond fucked up as well. Think of what people do internationally. Fansubs, manga scanlations, anime streaming sites. If they were in Japan, they all risked a huge fine and jail time, not juts a dmca notice. This is what happens when you give conglomerates too much power. Heck, even watching a YouTube video can land you jail time there. Of course no one's going to complain given Japanese attitude towards sangokujin in their own country.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
How are they different to any other scanlation/ fansub groups of other nationalities? Or is this the usual "ok racism" against Chinese? English language pirating is pretty rampant itself and would be more so if there was easy access to material.

Touchy. I meant the sheer volume that they translate, and the speed at which they do it. English-language scanlations are definitely high in volume as well, but I'd say the Chinese have it down to an art; no racism intended.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
but I'd say the Chinese have it down to an art; no racism intended.

Don't leave out the Koreans too if you want to make broad, race-based statements!
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
Puniyo wrote:

Arresting them for distribution is beyond fucked up as well. Think of what people do internationally. Fansubs, manga scanlations, anime streaming sites. If they were in Japan, they all risked a huge fine and jail time, not juts a dmca notice. This is what happens when you give conglomerates too much power. Heck, even watching a YouTube video can land you jail time there. Of course no one's going to complain given Japanese attitude towards sangokujin in their own country.

Well to be fair things like distribution of pirated materials and running anime streaming sites aren't okay just because other people do them too. But there's a reason publishers generally leave english-language scanalations alone and only enforce their rules once it's been licensed in English; it's actually beneficial because it builds a fanbase, and no one's losing any money because it can be bought in english anyway. It's no different to what these guys were doing with Chinese translations.

What's really outlandish to me is that the article specifically says they were arrested for translating the material. ?????
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
^While the headline is a bit misleading, the article clearly states that they were translating for distribution:
Quote:
Police from Kyoto, Yamaguchi, Shizuoka, Mie, and Shimane Prefectures announced on Wednesday that they have arrested five Chinese nationals for translating dialogue from Japanese manga and games into Chinese for unauthorized distribution
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
^While the headline is a bit misleading, the article clearly states that they were translating for distribution:
Quote:
Police from Kyoto, Yamaguchi, Shizuoka, Mie, and Shimane Prefectures announced on Wednesday that they have arrested five Chinese nationals for translating dialogue from Japanese manga and games into Chinese for unauthorized distribution

I guess you can do that with manga, but it's surely not illegal to release translation patches for games?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
@Puniyo

These arrests were in Japan under Japanese law. As a result, translation may be illegal even though it is not elsewhere. That said, even here they could be arrested as a part of an illegal organization, especially if the organization is operating for profit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Unauthorized translations might be against Japanese copyright (outside of their equivalent of fair use), but there is a possible legal loophole. That is, detailed summaries of what's happenings. You know, like the Wikipedia summaries of what happens in a movie. However, in the case of manga, it would be more detailed. I suppose there is leeway for occasionally quoting what a character says vs. always giving a summary of what they say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2