• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When Gundam Came to Hollywood

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Instead, we get "G-Saviour."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Watch as the 40th anniversary is a swerve and we get an HBO version of 0079.

This concept was too ambitious, and too early. The technology was not there in 1983 or even 1998. In 2018? Way different story. I
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
How in the world do you turn Char into Amuro's jealous 13 year old brat brother? So I take it this adaptation would have zero masked men in it. And you turned Char Aznable into Amuro's young kid brother basically.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
How in the world do you turn Char into Amuro's jealous 13 year old brat brother? So I take it this adaptation would have zero masked men in it. And you turned Char Aznable into Amuro's young kid brother sidekick basically.

You have to remember a few things -

1. It was the first draft.

2. It was 1983. Zeta Gundam hadn’t been commissioned yet so none of the established lore about Char was set.

3. The only people in the states that saw Gundam were really hardcore sci-fi fans with VHS bootlegs.

Granted, NOW it sounds ridiculous, but back then it sort of made a weird sort of sense.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
How in the world do you turn Char into Amuro's jealous 13 year old brat brother? So I take it this adaptation would have zero masked men in it. And you turned Char Aznable into Amuro's young kid brother sidekick basically.

You have to remember a few things -

1. It was the first draft.

2. It was 1983. Zeta Gundam hadn’t been commissioned yet so none of the established lore about Char was set.

3. The only people in the states that saw Gundam were really hardcore sci-fi fans with VHS bootlegs.

Granted, NOW it sounds ridiculous, but back then it sort of made a weird sort of sense.

Even post the 1979 show it doesn't even go with that show's lore about Char. He's not the Red Comet or anything and isn't the rival really to Amuro but just his bratty little brother. Again, yes I'd chalk it up to the writer not really having seen the show due to the whole anime fandom in the US being basically nil in 1983. Then again if you read, Proser got to see the source material of the first show/movie trilogy and could of easily figured out who Char was and it wasn't Amuro's bratty brother. I mean Bandai did probably give him translated information on these characters.

Then again, like you said, first draft. But really, no Bright Noa and Char is now Amuro's little brother. It kinda sounds like though Proser was just making this up as he went along anyway.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd consider "the Zakus are now 100 meters tall" to be a much more significant deviation from the original concept than "some villain that at most a few dozen Americans had even heard of in 1983 is now the main character's younger brother".
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Typo in 3rd paragraph.
Quote:
I was lucky enough to tack down and talk with several people involved with the failed film project.
should instead read as
Quote:
I was lucky enough to track down and talk with several people involved with the failed film project.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
to be frank char was just a take on darth vader
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I saw Tom do a con panel version of this article last year at AnimeNEXT, and it was just as great as this written version is. It's such an ambitious concept, so much so that I don't think it really could have ever actually been made at the time, barring it getting a budget that it could never truly make back.

That being said, I'd love to see this initial script be given an actual chance to be properly told. A few years back, LucasFilm worked with Dark Horse to make The Star Wars, a comic adaptation of the initial concept that George Lucas had for Star Wars before the first film was properly produced. Sure, the end result wasn't exactly amazing, but it was an interesting & different take on a known property. With Gundam's 40th Anniversary coming up next year, I think Sunrise/Bandai should follow LucasFilm's idea & work with an American comics publisher to produce a comic adaptation of this "Hollywood Gundam" script. Naturally, since it was meant to be made by non-Japanese people, it should be drawn & written by non-Japanese comic creators.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
That script sounds like it misses the point of Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Selling model kits and figures, right?
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't sound like it'd have made for a good Gundam movie considering how much was changed from the first draft alone.

Whatever the case, I'm not at all excited for Gundam to be made into a live-action movie now with modern day film making, modern actors, and modern trends. I've got the anime series and I'm satisfied.

I don't need a live-action movie to validate liking Gundam to any bastard who looks down on it for being animation or me for enjoying animation. I just give them the middle finger and move on.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Selling model kits and figures, right?

Well played. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
So this was basically just what we consider an AU these days. Sounds like it could have been fun.
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Watch as the 40th anniversary is a swerve and we get an HBO version of 0079.

This concept was too ambitious, and too early. The technology was not there in 1983 or even 1998. In 2018? Way different story. I

Better still, have a properly fleshed out and (above all) properly paced adaptation of Gundam Origin. That near perfect fusion of Robert Heinlein and George RR Martin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3