• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Has Black Clover Gotten Better?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
extremely mixed responses

A mix of what, mockery and befuddlement that it exists?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Stop trying to make Black Clover a thing.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover would have been such a better series if Noelle was made the central viewpoint character.

She's the exact sort of underdog that Shonen Jump thrives off of - having far more in common with Naruto and Izuku than Asta does - and would be such a great protagonist to follow.

That said, Black Clover as it is now is just a mediocre shonen romp that has some absolutely fantastic moments as it goes along, but nothing that really manages to stay consistent and elevate the story beyond its basest instincts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I think BC has gotten better. I've never really felt the "glacial pace" complaints. To me BC moves at the standard pace of any long shonen series. Anyway, I think this TWIA column is a bit unfortunate. If I hadn't been watching BC already and read this, I probably wouldn't bother checking it out. I'm sure Jake and Nick had fun coming up with their gags, but I feel like the sum total of them paints an overly negative picture of the series.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover has been fun since the start, it just has its anti-fans that like to make a lot of noise. Im a huge fan of the first 4 episodes. Also, It actually got really good recently. Asta showing everyone why he is so awesome.

So yea the BC hate has and is still way to overblown. It's a fun and simple shonen. Glad to see it's doing really well both in JUMP's ranking and on Crunchyroll.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
That said, Black Clover as it is now is just a mediocre shonen romp that has some absolutely fantastic moments as it goes along, but nothing that really manages to stay consistent and elevate the story beyond its basest instincts.

This, in a nutshell, is also how how I would evaluate the 20 episodes to date. Never seriously thought about dropping it but it's never a priority view, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Stop trying to make Black Clover a thing.

NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT FETCH JMAN.
Vycey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think BC has gotten better. I've never really felt the "glacial pace" complaints. To me BC moves at the standard pace of any long shonen series.

But that's part of the problem imo. Black Clover isn't a long runner like One Piece or Naruto, but it has had the same pacing problems since episode one.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
^ Not to mention that early One Piece went at a pretty good clip. Today's One Piece... well, there's a reason I've dropped it and don't plan on buying more of the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Vycey wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I think BC has gotten better. I've never really felt the "glacial pace" complaints. To me BC moves at the standard pace of any long shonen series.

But that's part of the problem imo. Black Clover isn't a long runner like One Piece or Naruto, but it has had the same pacing problems since episode one.

I should also point out that I haven't read the manga, so that may also be influencing why I'm not feeling that things are moving particularly slow. I have no basis of comparison.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The pacing is genuinely awful. Its like watching modern One Piece & I hate modern One Piece. There's a reason why One Piece was canned from Toonami.

Though yeah this is where BC picks up a better groove to being decent. Ya can't go wrong with a zombie invasion (helps that Rades is my favorite villain though that's not saying much cause most of the villains in this series suck) & hopefully its more of a spectacle with the rest of the Captains involved though that mean that the animation has to get a boost.

Also helps that a decent supporting cast starts overshadowing Asta. Seriously Asta is by far the worst part of this show next to sister lover & the less of him the better.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Apropos of little, I have to admit that I keep failing to mentally distinguish Black Butler from Black Clover. I have no defence here; I simply haven't turned enough attention to the matter whenever one or the other is mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Even putting aside the other issues, I can't get past the goofy character designs which I can never take seriously especially Asta.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
My favorite gag was at the end of episode 19, where, instead of Asta's usual "Never giving is my magic!", he says "Being loud is my magic!" Surprised Someone on the show's staff knows what's up.
CookieXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohh boii. This comment section isn't going to end well. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3