• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Oops! I Messed Up and Made the Wrong Person Into a Magical Girl! Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to read this ever since LH scans translated the first chapter but apparently dropped it. I'm so happy Seven seas picked it up.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This sounds weird and possibly gory based on the cover art. It also sounds like something I could get into. I wonder if a series such as this could ever get an anime at some point in the future. It would be very interesting to see that happen.
Nephry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I need this in my life
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
OK, looking forward to this.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
This sounds weird and possibly gory based on the cover art. It also sounds like something I could get into. I wonder if a series such as this could ever get an anime at some point in the future. It would be very interesting to see that happen.

It's different, that's for sure!

I collected comics for nearly 30 years, I've been an anime hardcore since the early 1990s.

Honestly, honest-to-goodness delinquents are a LOT less common than you'd think.
Most of the "delinquents" are not done as deliberately mean-spirited kids or people empowered who want to be evil. They're selfish, yes, but they usually try to do the right thing.
Japan's even more crazy about order/falling in line/conformity than the US (which still has levels of conformity despite the proclamations about independence and pursuit of personal freedom/happiness) and although Japan has its fantasties with gangs and delinquents they don't usually overdo it that much and there are generally consequences to bad behavior.

In comics, whenever they HAVE had characters gain power and act selfishly, there's usually karmic balance and somebody close to them pays for that selfishness. The theme's of the original Spider-Man comic (Amazing Fantasy #15) where Peter Parker's uncle gets killed by a crook Peter failed to stop at a paid public event where he appeared as Spider-Man!
For many people, it's just not psychologically satisfying when people don't pay for bad behavior. We still like to think in terms of good and evil in very harsh terms when the reality is "balance" between good and evil. It's not really too good when there isn't that balance. People definitely don't like it when someone gets away with being bad and doesn't pay for it but that happens more times than most of us will admit.
We'll see where they go with this manga but I doubt the protagonist will end up acting evilly on purpose or because they "get off on it."

We'll see whether this manga is like that, or more twisted like an American McGee videogame or something along the lines of a Black Lagoon with a lead character/girl who's on the borderline of crazy/evil.
Mertal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
yay.

Another Dark Magical Girl manga. We definitely needed one of those.

Sigh.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I have to imagine this means Seven Seas is seeing good sales for the gory dark magical girl series they already have, Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The potential brutality and apparent attitude of the protagonist remind me of Magical Witch Punie-chan.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It’s more comedy with over the top action.

Not dark particularly. I thought vol 1 was a hoot.
heroictype

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
yay.

Another Dark Magical Girl manga. We definitely needed one of those.

Sigh.

In general, I'd agree. But if nothing else, an angry girl exercising violence is on some level... different... than sad girls exposed to violence? I'm super sick of female pain packaged for an intended audience of male consumption - not exclusively, but adult men are often the target demographic, right?

Of course, if this isn't well handled, it's probably just going to be a different kind of problem. Schlocky. Bleh.

Now, what I'd like is a tough (but ultimately heartwarming?) series about a delinquent girl forced into a noble, leader-ish role, or at least what should be an admirable position. Some kind of commentary on the purity that was required of her, the stress she was under even as a normal girl, why she came to be labeled as and/or act as a delinquent... and how she rises to her role in her own way, even if it wasn't how other people wanted her to do it.

Please?
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I looked up this manga on google and saw some of the pictures of it and I have to say it has my interest I'll have to pick up a copy when it comes out.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
nice, been wanting to read this

only thing is i had an oc who was a delinquent turned magical girl too so I feel like now I can't do anything with them lol
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So Bad Girl from No More Heroes gets turned into a Magical Girl?

....I can dig it.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
This looks more like a comedy/parody than a genuine dark series to me. Parodies usually aren't my thing, but I always like to check out new liscensed magical girl manga, so I'll probably give it a shot (and I did like the first volume of Unmagical Girl).

But to throw in my two cents on the other topic at hand: even if this isn't an example, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with dark magical girl stuff. I'm reading and enjoying Asuka. As long as there's still traditional series like Precure and Sakura around, having different options isn't a bad thing. Personally I both buy the Raising Project novels when they come out and watch Precure on the weekends, for instance. It's totally fine not to like dark stuff, of course, but I just don't think it's a blight on the genre or anything.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I read the first chapter, it's a parody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2