• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does it take so long to sub old shows? Should I move on?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
As someone who greatly enjoys anime from the 80s and 90s, there are shows I've always wanted to watch like YAT Anshin, NG Lamune 40 and Stop! Hibari-kun. Lamentably, none of these shows have been officially licensed, and fansubbing efforts for them seem to be stuck in a rut right now.

These days, whenever a modern anime series gets a new episode aired, a fansubbing group usually manages to sub it in a day if not hours after getting aired (HorribleSubs comes to mind).

So, why isn't that kind of productivity seen for older anime (like say, an episode per week)? Is it because of real life issues or lack of interest in older animation? The latter would be serious from both a preservation and exposure (to a potential wider audience of fans) standpoint.

With this in mind, should I just stop being an old man yelling at clouds and just try to accept/enjoy modern anime? I don't dislike it, but it just doesn't pack quite the same feeling of the anime I grew up with.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Horrible is not a fansubbing group. They simply steal the subtitled releases from streaming sites.

Real fansubbing has pretty much died except for a few groups that focus on weekly releases. Groups like Live-Evil who resuscitated older shows have apparently gone by the wayside, so I don't think you're going to see the kinds of shows you mention get fansubbed. The audience is way too small.
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Horrible is not a fansubbing group. They simply steal the subtitled releases from streaming sites.

I had no idea. Any other groups with that kind of conduct that I should be aware of?

yuna49 wrote:
Real fansubbing has pretty much died except for a few groups that focus on weekly releases. Groups like Live-Evil who resuscitated older shows have apparently gone by the wayside, so I don't think you're going to see the kinds of shows you mention get fansubbed. The audience is way too small.

I guess that would explain why new OAD/OVA episodes of Seitokai Yakuindomo take so long so get subbed. If even modern anime is victim of this, then older anime must have it much worse as you say.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had no idea. Any other groups with that kind of conduct that I should be aware of?
I don't know of any other prominent legal-stream-rippers, but most contemporary "fansubbing" groups just use the scripts from the HorribleSubs rips, do some editing/retiming/typesetting (plus OP/ED translations), and put them on HDTV or Blu-Ray encodes. That's how modern shows can seemingly have such timely releases.

But a lot of the old-time fansubbers from the 2000s scene either went to work for legal simulcast sites, or aged out of the fandom and retired. The "currency" of the scene always consisted largely of respect and attention from viewers, and with that in short supply these days, there's not much to motivate from-scratch fansub translators. Obviously it's impossible to compete with instant and adequate legal subs (or edits thereof) for newer anime, but older shows just don't get that much attention. And really, they never did.

I'd also speculate on another factor: the rise of bootleg streaming sites, and their replacement of downloading as the main conduit of unauthorized anime viewing. As someone who has worked on older titles and has considered translating others, I find myself thinking: "Do I really want to put this much effort into something that'll get 1300 downloads, but 35,000 views on the Flagship Bootleg Streaming Site alone?" Especially since I'd be doing it to contribute to the community, while the bootleggers get to profit not only from the paid work of the anime's creators, but from my unpaid labor as well.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well in order to sub something you need either the physical source to rip or the raw digital episodes some else has ripped off a physical source or television.

It isn't that easy to get ahold of a physical copy of a show from nearly 30-50 years ago if it hasn't been reissued on DVD or BD, since magnetic tape based media like VHS degrade badly over time (even the master sources for these older anime are film so they also degrade unless properly preserved) and if any copies existed they'd be out of print and in the hands of Japanese collectors who wouldn't sell them unless you paid them a fortune. You also have to have the equipment to turn a VHS, Betamax, or LCD into a digital file which probably isn't cheap.

As for option two, there's that whole active crackdown by the Japanese government going on now on illegal ripping and scanning anime and manga. People are being arrested, illegal stream and download/torrent websites are being shut down, etc. This is eliminating a good amount of the existing digital rips that are out there which fansubers used.

So basically there is lot working against someone who wished to fansub an older show and I'd guess not many people want to do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1