• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yume Nikki - I Am Not in Your Dream Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Is this where that vomiting meme is from? It looks like the same girl.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Yes... Yes it is. It's depressing that's where madotsuki (the character's fan-name) is known from these days, but yes.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Yes... Yes it is. It's depressing that's where madotsuki (the character's fan-name) is known from these days, but yes.

Where does this idea that Madotsuki is a fan nickname come from...? It's right there on the pause menu.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I've always had this idea of Frisk from UNDERTALE trying to help Madotsuki face the outside world, but she ends up trying to fight them with a knife, no matter how much they show Mercy.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
I've always had this idea of Frisk from UNDERTALE trying to help Madotsuki face the outside world, but she ends up trying to fight them with a knife, no matter how much they show Mercy.

To think that all she needed all this time was a little DETERMINATION.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
I've always hated when people use the term 'pretentious' to criticize media. Where do you draw the line between high art and pompousness? If an author likes to explore complex issues or concepts in their work, does that automatically make their work pretentious? The word 'pretentious' implies that the person is going out of their way to impress others, but what if the author is simply fascinated by the subject and enjoys writing about it?

Don't get me wrong, I do think that you can legitimately criticize works of art for trying too hard when a simpler approach would have worked better. I just feel like using the word 'pretentious' is too much of a personal attack on the author themselves, instead of the story they're telling.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Angel Investigator, I meant to respond to this much earlier. (Preview Guide ate my life.)

You make a good point about the word "pretentious," and goodness knows I love me some semantics. Very Happy I feel like this novel walks a fine line between authorial fascination and pretension, crossing back and forth depending on the given paragraph. I suppose "over-reliance on psychoanalytical language and themes" would have been a better way to put it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1