• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
USITC Launches Investigation Into Nintendo After Patent Infringement Complaint

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Can you say "Patent Troll"? ... I knew you could. Smile

Mark Gosdin
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
^The company in question does seem to make actual products, specifically controller attachments for tablets and cell phones, so it doesn't seem to be what is generally considered a patent troll. But given they ended up dropping their previous case against Nintendo earlier this year, I don't know how convincing a case they have this time.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
Given how much of a badass Nintendo is with lawsuits, I don't think they will in any way win this.

There are very rare occasions were they actually lost a lawsuit (out of the inumerous claims of infringement they got through-out the years as a videogame company), and the latest still is being counter-appealed at the moment.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Thirsty.

You filed the complaint over a year after what you’re complaining about came to market?

Buzz off, brah.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
Didn't this happen before with the Wavebird and the Wii Remote?
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Thirsty.

You filed the complaint over a year after what you’re complaining about came to market?

Buzz off, brah.
Actually they did file last year, but the case was dropped in October. Now they're back again for some reason.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
A cease and desist. For the Switch. Good luck buddy.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Why it's the BEST get rich quick scheme EVER! This is SURE to pay off.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They just love to hate Nintendo.

Yes, it's a Patent Troll. And yes, those that 'challenged' Nintendo will lose big time. Though to my recent memory, Nintendo has lost 2 times?
Volthorne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
They just love to hate Nintendo.

Yes, it's a Patent Troll. And yes, those that 'challenged' Nintendo will lose big time. Though to my recent memory, Nintendo has lost 2 times?

The only major loss recently for Nintendo that immediately springs to mind was vs. the Sony employee who invented glass-less 3D in relation to the 3DS (which is why Nintendo stopped selling them).
partially

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
For those that are crying "troll", as already mentioned this is a legit company, who have indeed also released a product based on the patent. The Switch does not infringe at all upon Gamevice's market though, however the function of the devices do resemble each other. So it certainly could be argued that Nintendo saw Gamevice's devices and copied the idea as they thought it would work great on their next console. And yes Gamevice has been selling the controller attachments for smart devices since 2013, plenty of time for Nintendo to use the idea in the Switch.

Like it or hate it, this is what patents are all about.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
For those that are crying "troll", as already mentioned this is a legit company, who have indeed also released a product based on the patent. The Switch does not infringe at all upon Gamevice's market though, however the function of the devices do resemble each other. So it certainly could be argued that Nintendo saw Gamevice's devices and copied the idea as they thought it would work great on their next console. And yes Gamevice has been selling the controller attachments for smart devices since 2013, plenty of time for Nintendo to use the idea in the Switch.

Like it or hate it, this is what patents are all about.
That's the thing though, GameVice's device clips onto the side of smartphones and tablets. The Joy-Cons lock onto the Switch specifically using rails. While the base functionality may be the same, the methods and target devices are different, which should be more than enough to differentiate the products and not be infringing upon a patent. Not to mention I think Nintendo has a patent of their own with regards to the Joy-Con's.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
A while ago, Sony and Microsoft got hit with rumble controller patent infringment. Nintendo got out of it because their rumble pack design was of their own different make. The same could possibly apply here.

Though, for the most part, it would be impractical for the Switch, since the claim is still too vague and the technology associated with it is too basic to truly patent with current tech advancements that benefit most from the design. They are also asking for the complete removal of the Switch from the U.S. market, which... I mean, think about it. If that actually happened, that would make pretty dark gaming history.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
They are also asking for the complete removal of the Switch from the U.S. market, which... I mean, think about it. If that actually happened, that would make pretty dark gaming history.

It never would happen. The end goal is to get Nintendo to settle for money.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
They are also asking for the complete removal of the Switch from the U.S. market, which... I mean, think about it. If that actually happened, that would make pretty dark gaming history.

Considering the amount of schut and slag smartphone game creators defecate out, as plenty above before have told and said, good luck. I won't be surprised if some immediate backlash happened there.

This is what happens when you can't balance out being creative and having good business sense: you get sue crazy and blame others for your complacency and ignorance. And considering the kind of mentality society currently wants everyone to adopt, it's surely becoming its undoing. Remember to resist people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2