Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - My Hero Academia's Lovable League of Villains




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DigitalScratch



Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 341
Location: Area 51
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
So much love for Toga. Personally, Twice is my favorite of the villains introduced this arc. I hate him so much.

I’m on the side of the western fanbase who loves Kacchan. He’s a pile of on-fire garbage, but he also lives by his own standards and isn’t easily swayed. This arc and what results of it forces pretty much everyone to go through some character development, Kacchan included. So I’m excited for every anime-only fan to witness my favorite arc and battle in BNHA so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Calsolum



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 671
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
So much love for Toga. Personally, Twice is my favorite of the villains introduced this arc. I hate him so much.

I’m on the side of the western fanbase who loves Kacchan. He’s a pile of on-fire garbage, but he also lives by his own standards and isn’t easily swayed. This arc and what results of it forces pretty much everyone to go through some character development, Kacchan included. So I’m excited for every anime-only fan to witness my favorite arc and battle in BNHA so far.


I seriously don't understand how it's even a question.
Explosion head is hands down one of the worst bullies I've seen in media.
He's almost killed deku on more than one occasion and all because of a huge misunderstanding and an absurd inferiority complex(if he was somehow tricked I could understand but he's just garbage).
I mean it'd be a lot better if they called him out on it but the majority of what they do is slap him on the wrist and say 'oh he's just working out some issues'
He does go through significant character development later but it shouldn't exempt him from attempted murder in the past.
I sincerely hope in the future the author creates a character, maybe from another school or country (preferably a female one) who just mops the floor with him and then calls him out on his abusive crap.
And while toga has a pretty character design I would not touch her even with a 1 km pole. Girl reminds me way too much of yuno gasai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3086
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Has Toga replaced Tsuyu as best girl? Absolutely not as far as I'm concerned.

I have agree that the Deku vs. Muscular fight was pretty great. I ended up watching that episode twice that day since I was marathoning with a friend and we caught up, and it still got me a little teary eyed when I knew what was coming.

Also, I can't see Bakugo becoming a villain. Even though he frequently doesn't act the part, he does always say he is going to be the top hero, and I think he has too much pride to become a villain since it would mean abandoning that goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1012
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally into Toga and it's not because she's "bad" per se but she is much more interesting in her actions and motivations than most of the whole MHA crew and certainly all the girls. Uraraka and Tsu want to be heros and prove thier quirks are useful and other than that they had about nothing. Youyozuru has an interesting backstory but about the same depth as the aforementioned. I want to see more of Toru/Invisible Girl and get to know about her but I can't...Mei Hatsume was best last season but other than being intense, really creative and smart and a walking self-promotion billboard...I think we will see a cat-fight with Uraraka some time over Deku and I'm ready! She had me at "sucksuck...sucksuck..." Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DigitalScratch



Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 341
Location: Area 51
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:


I seriously don't understand how it's even a question.
Explosion head is hands down one of the worst bullies I've seen in media.
He's almost killed deku on more than one occasion and all because of a huge misunderstanding and an absurd inferiority complex(if he was somehow tricked I could understand but he's just garbage).
I mean it'd be a lot better if they called him out on it but the majority of what they do is slap him on the wrist and say 'oh he's just working out some issues'
He does go through significant character development later but it shouldn't exempt him from attempted murder in the past.
I sincerely hope in the future the author creates a character, maybe from another school or country (preferably a female one) who just mops the floor with him and then calls him out on his abusive crap.i


I will have to politely disagree my friend as I think what makes Kacchan more interesting than the typical bully-rival character is that people do call him out/acknowledge his behavior. spoiler[Even his own mother says he’s a piece of crap.] I’m not saying he should be forgiven for how much of a bully he is, but I think he’s already paying for it and will continue to.

It’s not like the characters are out right ignoring how awful he can be. In his fight with Deku, there were characters begging All Might to stop the fight because of how violent Kacchan was. And in his fight against Ochako in the Sports Festival, the entire audience was against him. And his behavior during the awards ceremony scared everyone, even All Might.

Yes Kacchan’s not being punished in a way that a lot of people want a bully to be punished, but I personally think he’s paying for what he sowed in more subtle ways. Kacchan‘s just another “fish in the pond” when he got to high school, classmates are ether sacred of him or mock him, he has only one actual friend, he can’t use Deku to build his ego anymore,etc.

Having a character just go and tell a Kacchan “you’re a psycho” I feel wouldn’t fit into BNHA’s writing and honestly it’s a cheap way to punish Kacchan and push him toward redemption. I like Kacchan because his redemption is entirely by his own desire and it’s slow and subtle because you can’t expect a 15 year old bully to stop being a piece of garbage in less than a year. In my opinion, that’s how you should write character development.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 3972
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Has Toga replaced Tsuyu as best girl? Absolutely not as far as I'm concerned.

I have agree that the Deku vs. Muscular fight was pretty great. I ended up watching that episode twice that day since I was marathoning with a friend and we caught up, and it still got me a little teary eyed when I knew what was coming.

Also, I can't see Bakugo becoming a villain. Even though he frequently doesn't act the part, he does always say he is going to be the top hero, and I think he has too much pride to become a villain since it would mean abandoning that goal.


let be frank here. there is only one answer for that scenario! ZERO!

i am sure the author read naruto and there is no way he's gonna make bakugo into a saskue clone! PERIOD! that would be a massive crapstorm in itself if it ever happened, but we all know its not. the series have been already been called a naruto clone ever since season 1 and that is the last thing this series wants!

though the real interest is of course later on their gonna do more info on his family! some of us in other forums have suspected that spoiler[bakugo's mom is midnight which would explain her body language during the sports festival arc and in the end of that arc, we hear midnight berating bakugo for taking too long in the bathroom to just simply brush his teeth] that would definitely lead to some jawdrops!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calsolum



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 671
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I will have to politely disagree my friend as I think what makes Kacchan more interesting than the typical bully-rival character is that people do call him out/acknowledge his behavior. spoiler[Even his own mother says he’s a piece of crap.] I’m not saying he should be forgiven for how much of a bully he is, but I think he’s already paying for it and will continue to.

It’s not like the characters are out right ignoring how awful he can be. In his fight with Deku, there were characters begging All Might to stop the fight because of how violent Kacchan was. And in his fight against Ochako in the Sports Festival, the entire audience was against him. And his behavior during the awards ceremony scared everyone, even All Might.

Yes Kacchan’s not being punished in a way that a lot of people want a bully to be punished, but I personally think he’s paying for what he sowed in more subtle ways. Kacchan‘s just another “fish in the pond” when he got to high school, classmates are ether sacred of him or mock him, he has only one actual friend, he can’t use Deku to build his ego anymore,etc.

Having a character just go and tell a Kacchan “you’re a psycho” I feel wouldn’t fit into BNHA’s writing and honestly it’s a cheap way to punish Kacchan and push him toward redemption. I like Kacchan because his redemption is entirely by his own desire and it’s slow and subtle because you can’t expect a 15 year old bully to stop being a piece of garbage in less than a year. In my opinion, that’s how you should write character development.


I'm sure that he will eventually change, it would be really silly if he didn't. It's just that long before there were any signs of it he had a stupidly huge fanbase. I also highly doubt he'd ever apologise willingly but I fear that his past behaviour will be swept under the rug just because he's 'getting better'. I would certainly love to be probably wrong in the future (although I probably still won't like him)

I disagree with the method but not the results. Bakugou is an extremely aggressive child and i feel like the MHA characters have been coddling him too much. They all acknowledge his abusive behaviour but no one really does anything except comment on it and move on. The teachers do reign him in but again they don't do anything beyond scolding spoiler[His mom's willingness to literally beat some sense into him is the only thing they did right(I don't usually condone parents beating a child at all btw, there's an instance of it in MHA: Vigilantes that's played for laughs but really isn't funny at all.)]
IMO against someone this headstrong and stuck in their ways you gotta break down all their walls, their ego, their pride. And then when they've come to the startling realization that the 'strength' he always flaunted was superficial or so easily broken can he truly move forward not as hero but as a decent human being.
It goes without saying that this isn't a very safe method to try on people irl but as fictional piece of media its the direction I'd like to see them pursue in regards to Bakugou

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but in the future episodes spoiler[where deku has to come up with a plan to save Bakugou from the league of villians I was just banging myself on the wall because of the retarded amount of conceit in him because he would rather stay in harms way and endanger almost every prohero who risked their lives to save him than to accept help from someone other than Kirishima(granted it was a hypothetical plan but from what we know of his personality theres no doubt that he would have refused anyone else's help)]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
H. Guderian



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 1112
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Explosion head is hands down one of the worst bullies I've seen in media.


Not only that, but his range of emotions is 0. I remember during Avatar, near the end they attend a play which humorously distills the characters down to their over-the-top extremes as to make a good play. Yet with this guy there is no further extreme to move to. A screenwriter would either have to make IncoherentJerkExplodeyGuy foaming at the mouth with rage, or vastly expand his vocabulary. I have never looked at this guy and thought 'here shall be the source of something interesting'.

Also in a world with all these kids trying to be Pro Heroes, you'd think they'd have a class on "how to spot a villain." If this guy didn't get into this school for some reason, these very students would likely be spending their careers trying to put him behind bars. There certainly is a "see no evil" amongst the classmates.

I mean I make room for a Goku-style "Forgive even Vegeta" character, or perhaps several. But for everyone to be on board just doesn't sit right. But the thing is those characters being forgiven had other things going for them, not just incoherent balls of rage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2482
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Meh, I prefer Mei and Uraraka to Tsu and Toga in terms of potential members of a Deku-centered love triangle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GoldCrusader



Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
King of explodo kill is easily one of the best character ever. I can easily understand why he's the most popular. The way he grows is so great.

But yea, MHA's villains are so cool. Twice is easily my favorite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johan.eriksson.9003



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

IMO against someone this headstrong and stuck in their ways you gotta break down all their walls, their ego, their pride. And then when they've come to the startling realization that the 'strength' he always flaunted was superficial or so easily broken can he truly move forward not as hero but as a decent human being.
It goes without saying that this isn't a very safe method to try on people irl but as fictional piece of media its the direction I'd like to see them pursue in regards to Bakugou


Ok, no. Can I just say that as a teacher, this strikes me as a terrible way of reforming anyone, much less a teenager.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scalfin



Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 177
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm going to sign onto the list of people thinking that the League of Villains trying to take Bakugo home sounds less like a recruitment plan than a suicide attempt.

Meanwhile, I'm going to side with the people who like the little shit, as he's entertaining and fairly novel. I don't think I've seen a counterpart who was just offended at the main character's very existence before. His behavior in the first few issues was a bit past the the line, but that's really typical for manga (a lot of female leads in romances seem to start off with either abuse or blackmail and are dialed back immediately) and has been somewhat exaggerated by detractors. When not influenced by Midoriya, his main issue just seems to be not wanting to be patronized, which isn't all that unusual and somewhat reasonable given the character types he's surrounded by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kgw



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Spain, EU
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
I am following the manga little by little (#9 has been just released), so I hope the pro heroes have a big scene.
Of course, we know the kids will have all the action, but nonetheless. I mean, we have an Endeavour action scene, after all.

Quote:
PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2018 2:03 pm Post subject:
Yeah, I'm going to sign onto the list of people thinking that the League of Villains trying to take Bakugo home sounds less like a recruitment plan than a suicide attempt.

I totally agree with that. Bakugo might be a lot of things, but he's decided (and stupid) enough to fight all the villians at once. Why? Because that's what All Might would do.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Meh, I prefer Mei and Uraraka to Tsu and Toga in terms of potential members of a Deku-centered love triangle.

On the other side, I am more a Mei-Ida fan. They got that strange relationship a la Nabiki - Tatewaki Kuno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group