• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns with Otakon Weekend in DC

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Deleted bait post -LL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
i feel like that, if any white supremacists wander there ways to the convention, it would at least be a good chance for anime fans of all colors and nationalities to come together and defend one another. in the end it might be good for racial relationships...and its only 400 people. 400 tiny little people in this country of, what is it, 15 million? just goes to show how insignificant white supremacy is in america. there will probably be at least fifteen times as many people at that anime con.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Well over 300 million. They are a tiny blotch.

I also came to the article to actually confirm if it was actual Neo-Nazis or not. Surprisingly it was.

I think when you move your entertainment convention to the political capital of the most powerful nation on the planet you'll often run alongside some dubious types. I can only imagine Otakon will have more close encounters of this sort just given the newer location.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember when the worst we had to be concerned about was Yankees fans. Oh boy. I trust that Otakon, WEWCC and MPD will do what's necessary to keep us safe.[/i]
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what are they are intent to attack someone??? These people are so pure evil! I love how relationship of countries we are having each other, but its not like people with diffrent enthic background tend to hate each other.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
i feel like that, if any white supremacists wander there ways to the convention, it would at least be a good chance for anime fans of all colors and nationalities to come together and defend one another.

Unless they want to make a whitewashed adaption of an anime, then we'll step aside and let them do as they please. And if you complain about it, you'll be labeled a weeaboo, or a fanboy.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Why are we even giving these knuckle-draggers the benefit of promotion from this article? A relative handful of ignorant losers like this milling about miles from the convention should no more matter to the con itself than dog poop at the same distance. These guys do this shit for the visibility, why help?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things. Rolling Eyes

Also, it's good to know Otakon is doing everything it can to make sure its guests are safe from these pricks.

I have an interesting story. When my mother was in college, she was driving through Salisbury, North Carolina, and witnessed a white supremacist rally complete with the burning crosses. It scared the crap out of her.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The last time this group gathered in a largely organized fashion, someone died, more were injured, and there were several targeted assaults on Black people and at least one trans woman. Relaying this information to fandom is a matter of public safety.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kokonoetanmick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This and other posts by this individual. I originally did not believe that the material in this post constituted actual hate speech, however I have been convinced otherwise. New policy on hate speech is in the works, but in the meantime, there's no reason to let this sit here. -t
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The last time this group gathered in a largely organized fashion, someone died, more were injured, and there were several targeted assaults on Black people and at least one trans woman. Relaying this information to fandom is a matter of public safety.

Not to say what you can or cannot post for news, but it's easy to construe this news post as "stay away from Otakon" signal, however unintended it may be. It is a convention that already had to struggle with the Baltimore riot 2 years ago as far as attendance goes. Maybe there could have been a more responsible and con/fan friendly way to report on this.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Why are we even giving these knuckle-draggers the benefit of promotion from this article? A relative handful of ignorant losers like this milling about miles from the convention should no more matter to the con itself than dog poop at the same distance. These guys do this shit for the visibility, why help?

Repugnant as their views may be, it's because it presents a potential public safety issue for the convention, given what happened at the rally in Charlottesville. One of the people who rallied there is charged with murder. Another was convicted under UCMJ charges, etc etc.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
August 12 is my birthday... I'm sure there will be good news on that day... HAHAHAHAHAHA! (Sighs)

At least I live in California so it's on the other side of the country. I'll probably do something fun that day anyways and avoid the news as much as possible plus there's probably going to be cool anime news that weekend anyways...
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. I decided to not go to Otakon this year because it would be too expensive, guess I made the right decision.

Hope my fellow anime fans will continue to fight them off like they do street preachers. Except even more mercilessly.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
meh, i'm thai and i'm not scared of some rally in DC
i'm more scared of not getting the autographs i want
but if people are afraid to go, then maybe i will have more chances of getting the ones i want
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6